Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: How do I code tooltips?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Can someone confirm whether you can only assign tooltips to button elements... I'm trying to create tooltips for other elements such as sliders, visuals, waveforms etc and can't figure it out :-(
The other elements are returning info about the state of the element (eg song pos, gain level, VU etc) but I would like to add a line of explanation/use for element aswell.

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 7:29 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Almost everything may have a tooltip.

<slider action="" tooltip="Your Text"></slider>

OR

<slider action="">
<tooltip>Your Text</tooltip>
</slider>

Sometime it will show "You Text" as well as a value (i.e. volume sliders or EQ).

In my skin I often want to NOT show any tooltip :

<visual tooltip=""></visual>

<visual>
<tooltip></tooltip>
</visual>

If a type of syntax does not work, just try the other notation, but IMO they are stricktly equal.

Also, you should learn from other skins, I unzip almost all of them and read carefully what I may need in mine.

A waveform isn't supposed to have a tooltip, didn't try yet, but you may perform a trick. Just put a fully transparent visual in front of it that have a tooltip, with the same dimensions as the waveform window. i.e.

<rhythmzone>
<size witdth="1000" height="100"/>
</rhythmzone>

<visual clickthrough="true" tooltip="The best waveform in the world">
<size width="1000" height="100"/>
</visual>

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 11:07 am
Awesome advice, thanks Fruit! :D
I did try

<slider action="">
<tooltip>Your Text</tooltip>
</slider>

but didn't work... I'll try again ;-)

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 11:45 am
Can you paste here a sample of real code ? So we may help you more...

Tooltips on sliders should work... Did you try to add it in the header instead ? i.e. <slider tooltip="Text"></slider>

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 12:40 pm
Here's a real example from my skin :

<panel class="knob">

<panel><visual/></panel><visual/>
<slider action="eq_high" dblclick="eq_high 50%" rightclick="eq_high 0% ? eq_high 50% : eq_high 0%" tooltip="EQ HIGH"/>
<slider action="eq_high" dblclick="eq_high 50%" rightclick="eq_high 0% ? eq_high 50% : eq_high 0%" tooltip="EQ HIGH" frommiddle="true"/>
<textzone><text format="HIGH"/></textzone>
<button action="eq_kill_high" class="mixer_audio_eq_kill" visibility="var '@$v8bf_eq_kill' 1"/>

</panel>

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 12:45 pm
My problem is this... I have created an invisible vertical slider for gain adjustment and placed it over my channel VU meters. this way you can adjust the gain by clicking or dragging when over the VU graphic. This works really well, but the tooltip is never visible. The tooltip which always appears is the one for the VU ('get_level' %'etc).

I have now realised that the VU is snatching focus back when it redraws the level graphic and is suppressing the slider tooltip. I have verified this by moving the invisible slider and the tool tip works when it is not over the VU bit - it works as expected. So....

I need to suppress the VU VDJ generated tooltip and force it to show my slider tooltip instead.

OR

Somehow add my gain feature info to the VDJ VU tooltip.. hmmm :-/

EDIT: I will try your visual clickthrough trick!! ;-)

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 12:59 pm
No joy, the VU stops the clickthrough trick.

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 1:07 pm
My code.. (graphically placed over VU meters of the same dimensions)

<group name="invisible_gain">

<slider action="gain" direction="up" orientation="vertical" rightclick="volume 0% while_pressed" tooltip="Set gain by click or drag">
<pos x="+0" y="+0"/>
<size width="30" height="230"/>
<off x="2100" y="1880"/>
<on x="2100" y="1880"/>
<!-- <tooltip>Click or drag to set GAIN</tooltip> -->
<fader>
<size width="30" height="1"/>
<pos x="2100" y="0"/>
</fader>
</slider>
<!-- <visual clickthrough="true" tooltip="Click or drag to set gain">
</visual> -->
</group>

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 1:14 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Why have you commented out the code?

<!-- Anything inside this is ignored -->

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 1:23 pm
I dont want it to execute! The tooltip code is active in the top slider line..

I have tried all variations by un/commenting each in turn

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 1:25 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You haven't closed off that line / I'm not sure if that's important.

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 1:36 pm
Its closed off further down, after the nested fader

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 2:21 pm
And, when you hover it with the mouse, does it it give you at least the actual gain value ? And also, does this slider actually work ?

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 3:29 pm
Make sure that your <slider> is after the VU in the XML document.

If that doesn't work let me know and I'll test some more.

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 5:32 pm
Fruit: Once I disable the tooltips for the VU I get the gain value returned in a tooltip. The slider works correctly in all other respects.

Dan: <slider> is immediately after the VU code. All works perfectly if I position it elsewhere, it just doesn't like being on top of the VU. I have also disabled all tooltips for the VU using tooltip="", which does as it should, but the added tooltip text for slider is still absent. Stumped!

UPDATE: I tried my code on my PC in the club and it worked as it should.... :D I will need to retry on my home pc and see if it was just a syntax error somewhere?? To get it working I just added tooltip="" to the VU elements then the gain level showed, including my added text.

Thanks for all the help! :-)

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 7:36 pm
RobGmixes wrote :
Once I disable the tooltips for the VU I get the gain value returned in a tooltip.

When vu tooltip is disabled, and you try to add a customized tooltip in gain slider, you just keep seeing the gain value ?

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 7:48 pm

all is ok now :D code used is below.

<group name="invisible_gain">

<slider action="gain" direction="up" orientation="vertical" rightclick="volume 0% while_pressed" tooltip="GAIN click or drag to set \n Right click to temporarily MUTE">
<pos x="+0" y="+0"/>
<off x="2100" y="1880"/>
<on x="2100" y="1880"/>
<fader>
<size width="30" height="1"/>
<pos x="2100" y="0"/>
</fader>
</slider>

</group>

Why this wasn't working before I don't know... I will investigate at home tomorrow and report back.

Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 @ 8:08 pm
But yes, mutliple tooltips over the same area would show only one at once, so you have to make a choice and disable the others.

Posted Sun 28 Sep 14 @ 7:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)