Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Browser - Wishes & new features - Page: 30
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
From what I can find "!=" was first used in the "B" programming language (from 1969), the predecessor of the "C" programming language. It is now still used as inequality operator in many programming languages. (C, C++, C#, Java, JavaScript, etc...)
I didn't find much about the origin. It may have been because it slightly resembles the mathematical inequality symbol (≠) which was not available on keyboards at the time, and I don't think even available in the character sets at the time.
It might also have been because C uses "!" as the negation for boolean values, so "not equal"

Posted Wed 12 May 21 @ 5:59 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
It's universal math ... many do not know about them
"!=" is not, it's some computing language related, other use "<>" (Basic Pascal PL1...)
As Adion says "because inequality symbol (≠) which was not available on keyboards at the time,"
(would like all of them in VBScript though)

other operators exist : "is" "is not" "contains" "doesn't contain" "starts with" "ends with" "top" "list"
all exist in math and utf-8 : =≠<>≤≥⊃⊅⊇⊋⊢⊣⊤⋯
exception being "has tag" but i.e.: "#" may be used
(as well some computing language used "==" "><" "=>" "=<" ... for the same reason)

Many other existing operators are missing : "group by" "with" "duplicates"
as well as "and" "or" "&" "|" and parenthesis "(" ")" for groups of commands that exists here and not (or partially, being all "and" or all "or") implemented yet in wizard

it's recent feature, have to improve and finalize
and why not ... localize too

Posted Wed 12 May 21 @ 6:07 pm
Guess that proves GroovinDJs point..
Maybe better if it just said "not equal to" in plain English in the drop down ;-)

Posted Wed 12 May 21 @ 7:07 pm
That's the way COBOL worked. It was a very wordy language that I did at College and Uni. I also did Intel 8080 Assembler and BASIC. I never experienced any of the languages mentioned above.

Posted Wed 12 May 21 @ 10:46 pm
Most DJs i know don't know about programing computers.

I think plain words would serve much better in this case.

just my opinion.

Posted Thu 13 May 21 @ 1:07 am
IMHO too That's surely the best way (but not all DJs read English though...)

A little bit of nostalgia and souvenirs from 40 (and more) Years ago ;)

COBOL relational operators (yes they were verbose in capital only but simple to understand):
IF {Identifier/Literal} IS [NOT] {
EQUAL [TO]/
GREATER THAN [OR EQUAL TO]/
LESS THAN [OR EQUAL TO]
} {Identifier/Literal}
62 years old definition !! waow !!
(column specific on COBOL Sheet removed though, there were some contraints)

Posted Thu 13 May 21 @ 1:57 am
Just a thought...

A way to "connect" tracks...For example, if I see that song A and song B mix well together, I can "connect" them. If song A also plays well with C, E, F, and G, I can link them too. That way, when I play song A, I can pop up either a field, or a list that has these songs already "connected".

Many times I find songs that work great during my practice sessions, and I say I'm going to use it during a gig, only to forget which song it was.

Posted Mon 17 May 21 @ 10:12 pm
"Mix well together" is very subjective and can depend on mixing technique used
they can be somehow "compatible" i.e. :
bpmdiff<=4 and keydiff=0
(by the way a same genre may help too)
Group by genre with bpmdiff<=4 and keydiff=0

or can simply refer to what U call/feel as "well"
in this case you can for example create some virtual folders or playlists with links to files that "Mix well together"
then search a song in playlists

Posted Mon 17 May 21 @ 10:33 pm
Nicotux wrote :
"Mix well together" is very subjective and can depend on mixing technique used
they can be somehow "compatible" i.e. :
bpmdiff<=4 and keydiff=0
(by the way a same genre may help too)
Group by genre with bpmdiff<=4 and keydiff=0

or can simply refer to what U call/feel as "well"
in this case you can for example create some virtual folders or playlists with links to files that "Mix well together"
then search a song in playlists

I get that...and I'm not speaking of a filter or automated process. That is already possible. I am speaking about manually connecting tracks that I know will work together to accomplish the individual DJ's specific mixing style/objective.

Posted Tue 18 May 21 @ 12:22 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@DJ A S#arp
I think I've got this down if you have a spare tag you don't use currently.
actually not quite.

Posted Tue 18 May 21 @ 10:21 am
I've made a windows plugin for this "linking" wish
early days yet,
a masterfx, 4 buttons, 2 decks
1st button adds the filename of deck 2 on to the grouping tag of deck 1
2nd button does the other way round
3rd button reads the grouping tag of deck 1 and automagically creates a standard filter filled with the tracks, and jumps to that filter
4 button same thing but opposite deck

so really you'd only need 2 custom buttons per side, 1 link the other track to this deck and 2 pull up the list for this deck, and completely forget about using the masterfx gui

I've given it a 16MB allowance for track names [not sure if ID3 has a limit] so plenty [I think]
I don't think I'll go for 4 decks, but maybe I will, the code is pretty easy and it would only need 2 more custom buttons per deck [would have to change the logic a little though]
I might need a tester or two for accented chars but Japanese & Russian are checking out so far. Give me a pm

Posted Tue 18 May 21 @ 3:36 pm
locodog wrote :
I've made a windows plugin for this "linking" wish
early days yet,
a masterfx, 4 buttons, 2 decks
1st button adds the filename of deck 2 on to the grouping tag of deck 1
2nd button does the other way round
3rd button reads the grouping tag of deck 1 and automagically creates a standard filter filled with the tracks, and jumps to that filter
4 button same thing but opposite deck

so really you'd only need 2 custom buttons per side, 1 link the other track to this deck and 2 pull up the list for this deck, and completely forget about using the masterfx gui

I've given it a 16MB allowance for track names [not sure if ID3 has a limit] so plenty [I think]
I don't think I'll go for 4 decks, but maybe I will, the code is pretty easy and it would only need 2 more custom buttons per deck [would have to change the logic a little though]
I might need a tester or two for accented chars but Japanese & Russian are checking out so far. Give me a pm

Sounds promising, but I'm on Mac OSX.

Posted Wed 19 May 21 @ 1:56 pm
ah, not much I can do then.

Posted Wed 19 May 21 @ 2:18 pm
Hi Locodoc,
how far are you with it?
greetings Werner

Posted Wed 19 May 21 @ 2:42 pm
local testing has been pretty good, If it was just for english, I'd call it finished, one remaining issue is with the jump to the filter part of it.

the last thing it does is call this script
browser_gotofolder "Filters/sticky"

which works in english, but other languages "Filters" is something else.
I've been told this should be universal
browser_gotofolder "Filters:\\sticky"
but it doesn't work, this however does but doesn't get when we'd want it.
browser_gotofolder "Filters:\\"
So I suspect it's something the devs need to look at.

But I won't really know how good it is until it's been tested in the wild with all styles of naming conventions.
I've made a another thread to avoid spamming this thread
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/241324/General_Discussion/Track__linking__windows_plugin.html

Posted Wed 19 May 21 @ 2:57 pm
16MB gives up to 64000 MAX_PATH(260) length names or 8184 MAX_PATH(2048) with long filenames or down to 2046 UTF-8 (4 bytes) long names
official size for ID3 V2 is 256MB (28bits for size field)

browser_gotofolder "Filters:\\sticky" and browser_gotofolder "Filters:\\" do not work here
but this however does
browser_gotofolder 'filters://'
and this does not (and does some strange things with folders)
browser_gotofolder "Filters://sticky"

in any case playing with that ends with crashing VDJ

Posted Wed 19 May 21 @ 3:29 pm
i would like to know if when i create a playlist in a specific order. once the tracks a selected in a particular order in the playlist is should be able to lock it so that if i want to list the songs by BPM order i should be able to click the reset button and it takes me to the order i want the playlist saved.
Currently if i have 10 rock songs i name the user 2 field as rock01, rock02 and so forth to rock10. this way if is need the order i want i click on the user 2 to list the songs in ascending or descending order. The problem arises when i have to use the same song in another playlist as i has rock01 named.

Posted Mon 24 May 21 @ 8:04 am
DJLopes.com wrote :
i would like to know if when i create a playlist in a specific order.
if i want to list the songs by BPM order i should be able to click the reset button and it takes me to the order i want the playlist saved.

Just right-click any column header in the browser, and choose "Reset Sort order"
You can map it to a button also if you want for quick access, at a keyboard key or custom button with the action browser_sort "Original Sort Order"

Posted Mon 24 May 21 @ 10:19 am
SveninoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Would be useful to color all songs which have action_cues...

Posted Tue 25 May 21 @ 3:02 pm
Would be fine to add "Tracklisting" and "Deck Sets" to backup

Posted Thu 27 May 21 @ 10:43 pm
73%