Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Anybody here using Alienware? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

How do you like it? I'm thinking of getting an x51 after Christmas because I need a better processor than my current AMD a8 4500 for my production services, but would also be used for my dj/kj services. It's got a I7 3.4 ghz (4th gen 8mb cache), 8 gb ram (though I'll probably install 16), NVIDIA GeForce GT 645 graphics 1gb, 2 usb3 and 6 usb2. Price $999

Before anybody says it lol, I looked at notebooks too but couldn't find one in the price range with more than 3ghz processor, looked at Mac Mini too but my DAW (Sonar x3 PE) isn't mac compatible.

Posted Fri 20 Dec 13 @ 6:30 pm
ive been using mine for over a year. rock solid never crashed. if it can handle games with intense graphics it can handle anything you throw at it for djing. even for mixing videos is flawless.

hope that helps.

Posted Sat 21 Dec 13 @ 2:16 am
Thanks!! Yeah, I been hearing gamers rave about it for years but haven't heard much from producers or DJs. I love the form factor, though it might make clients think I'm running an xbox under the table lol

Posted Sat 21 Dec 13 @ 7:03 am
Spent half the day just trying to troubleshoot problems with my ns6, long story short I unplugged all usb devices except the ns6, launchpad and mouse/ keyboard receiver and now I got vdj running as smooth as ever (on my 4th hour of first sessions). Running clipbank, videos, fx, sampler, key changes, etc etc and cpu never at half, barely to 1/4. I think the x51 may serve well indeed;^]

Posted Sat 11 Jan 14 @ 5:34 pm
I've been using a Alienware m9700 with AMD turion x2,only 2 gigs of ram (thats the bad part,thaywas max for this model) and half a gig of video ram via its two Nvidias GeForce Go 7900 and it runs well as long as you shut down all other backgroung crap by using something like Game Booster...basically its an old tank that happens to have the biggest 17 inch screen (diagnally) and the most kick %$# sound system,and I got it to collect them but then was curious to how it would handle VDJ...I am lokking now for either a M15x,m17x or m18x monster..yeah!

Posted Sat 11 Jan 14 @ 10:43 pm
I had tossed around the idea of spending a little more and getting the Aurora with a 3.9 ghz i7, but decided that would be way too big to carry from gig to gig. I like my x51 so far, nice middle ground with the processing power of a desktop but in a size that will fit my back pack. The really big test though will be after my gig this thursday when I start testing and putting my DAW and DVW through the paces. Knocking on wood!!!

Posted Mon 13 Jan 14 @ 8:50 am
I just bought an Alienware 14 laptop and it is a beast on its own. I cannot get it to crash running everything on it. I ran VDJ with video and FX going and I have run Serato DJ with Video and both cannot seem to get it to run harder than 15% of the CPU.

Posted Mon 13 Jan 14 @ 8:09 pm
only thing is its too heavy for any laptop stand in the market. i literally made a laptop stand for my ns7 .

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 1:37 am
Ha,ha I knew you where comming Gimmo lol...now I'll give you 3 gueses of what I bought last nite and should be in the mail tomorrow...hint:its the heaviest!...he,he :)

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 5:35 am
I wasn't able to get mine to crash either, however, I tried lowering default scratch latency first to 524 then 824. With vinyl mode enabled both would make my ns6 unresponsive and the music stop, lower setting it happened more, and with cd mode enabled this did not happen. But at 1024 default scratch latency both cd and vinyl mode worked fine. Thought that was kinda odd, but the 1024 setting is really as responsive as I could need;^]

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 8:43 am
gimmo wrote :
only thing is its too heavy for any laptop stand in the market. i literally made a laptop stand for my ns7 .

That back lit keyboard looks swweeeeetttt!!! I love how alienware let's you customize the colors like that, got all 3 zones on my x51 neon green

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 8:45 am
Cant wait to mess with that,though I bet I will have to reinstall the command station and stuff...will see when I recieve it..whats cool about yours jimmy is that you can lay it down sideways ,right?...so it it can fit in different setups...and Gimmo...its that a m18x?...sweet setup!

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 5:11 pm
The weight is why I bought the 14 inch model. It still weighs allot compared to most 14 inch computers.

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 5:41 pm
thetracker510 wrote :
Cant wait to mess with that,though I bet I will have to reinstall the command station and stuff...will see when I recieve it..whats cool about yours jimmy is that you can lay it down sideways ,right?...so it it can fit in different setups...and Gimmo...its that a m18x?...sweet setup!

That is correct!! yeah, actually seems to run a little cooler sitting on it's side, it does get warm enough I wouldn't wanna put it on carpet though

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 7:32 pm
The picture I have is a little misleading. I have carpet under the laptop, it is actually raised about 1 inch above that with small risers.

Posted Wed 15 Jan 14 @ 5:09 pm
Sorry, I meant my x51. Really not hot enough to be a threat anyway (it's the gtx 645 that creates most all the heat), I'm just paranoid lol

Posted Thu 16 Jan 14 @ 8:31 am
man,I'm extatic!...next week will be the week!...

Posted Fri 17 Jan 14 @ 12:22 am
this is the beginning of a beutifull friendship!...Alienware m18x with i7 ,2630Qm 2.00GHz up to 3.1 turbo boost,Nvidia GeForce GTX 460m x TWO in SLI,and two 500 GB hard drives,8 gigs of Ram,but I will upgrade to 16 soon.....oh,oh look out!...it is humongous!!!

Posted Thu 23 Jan 14 @ 3:48 am
well?...you pick up your jaws back from da floor...he,he

Posted Thu 23 Jan 14 @ 10:22 pm
Sweet, that's alot of lighting zones, I like the green around the trackpad;^]

Posted Fri 24 Jan 14 @ 7:21 pm
95%