Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Preview Track In Headphones

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ClayDJPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I have two Denon controllers and a Behringher midi mixer.
I use the external mixers headphone jack.
I can only hear the track in my headphones when I have the channel fader up (main output audio).
With the channel fader down (no audio) I can see the pfl in VDJ but there is no incoming pfl to the mixer, thus no headphone audio.
Once I slide the fader up for output audio, i can now hear it in the headphones as well as the main audio output.

In mappers, i have the channel fader mapped for volume, and the pfl button mapped for deck 1 select. I have also tried the pfl button map as deck 1 pfl.
None of the above has worked for hearing the track in the headphones while the fader is down.

How can I get incoming audio to the mixer with the faders down?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Clay

Posted Fri 04 Oct 13 @ 9:22 am
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
Try CH1_PFL or CH2_PFL

Posted Fri 04 Oct 13 @ 9:44 am
Thanks for the response RobRoy, unfortunately, no luck.

When mixer is not in midi mode it works fine which tells me it's something in the mixer mapping?
When it is in midi mode;
If I use the string 'deck 1 volume' for the fader slider and 'ch 1 pfl' for the pfl button, there is no incoming audio to the mixer, and I only hear headphones proportionally when I bring the channel fader is up.

If I use 'deck 1 select' for the fader, I now get the track's full volume audio to the mixer's input and headphones work fine, but the incoming audio is sent straight to the mixers output and the fader has no effect.

I need to have an incoming signal to the mixer so that I can preview it in my headphones, but not have it sent to the mixers output until the channel fader is up (normal operation of a mixer).

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,
Clay

Posted Tue 08 Oct 13 @ 1:48 pm
It might help if you told us exactly what mixer it is.....

Posted Tue 08 Oct 13 @ 2:04 pm
The first post mentions that it is a Behringer DDM4000 midi mixer used with two Denon 3900 controllers.

Thanks,
Clay

Posted Tue 08 Oct 13 @ 3:06 pm
The Behringer DDM4000 is a real hardware mixer.

If VirtualDJ is configured for separate deck outputs to an external mixer (Outputs: External Mixer or separate channels in advanced config) and the DDM4000's channel sliders send MIDI and you have mapped them to volume, then you will be fading out the sound in VirtualDJ's internal software mixer before it reaches your external mixer, preventing you from being able to pre-listen to them using the mixer's PFL functions.

Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/MIDI%20mapping%20an%20external%20DJ%20mixer.html

Posted Wed 09 Oct 13 @ 5:12 am
Thanks for the info Teamer.

Although, it looks like in order for the VDJ controls to react with the external faders, I would need to use the ‘fake’ command on the external mixer’s channel faders. This would then require the external faders to be in the midi mode thereby defeating what you suggested in your previous post.

Am I correct, or should the ‘fake’ command be used elsewhere in the mapping or XML script for coordinated VDJ/external mixer control movement?

Thanks again,
Clay

Posted Wed 09 Oct 13 @ 3:49 pm
You should leave the faders in normal analogue mixer mode with VirtualDJ configured for Outputs: External Mixer.

If the mixer also sends MIDI at the same time when you move the faders, either map them to the fake actions or map them to nothing, so they have no effect in VirtualDJ.

NOTE: You have a real hardware mixer in front of you so you don't really need to have the on-screen mixer match the fader, EQ, etc. positions. Simply look at the knobs/sliders on your real mixer to see where they are.

Posted Thu 10 Oct 13 @ 8:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)