Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Connecting External Mixer to American Audio VMS2 Deck

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

HexxieLE userMember since 2012
First time posting on the VDJ Forums,

I am trying to connect my American Audio VMS2 Deck to a Yamaha 10 channel stereo mixer. My issue is that I am not getting any sound. The even weirder part is that I do get audio from my computer from places like youtube or playing music outside of Virtual DJ. I can even control the volume with my VMS2 Deck with a song on Windows Media Player but nothing on the Virtual DJ Software.

Now I have no issues with this setup without adding in the 10 channel stereo mixer. Setup that works without the 10 channel mixer goes like tihs.

Monitors -> Audiobox USB Audio Interface -> Computer
American Audio VMS2 Mixer -> connected via USB into Computer

Virtual DJ Audio Setup -> Advanced Config -> Deck 1 -> Speakers -> Output 1 &2
Virtual DJ Audio Setup -> Advanced Config -> Deck 2 -> Speakers -> Output 1 &2

Works just fine. I can hear and control what I'm playing.

The setup I am trying to do looks like this:

Monitors -> 10 Channel Stereo Mixer Monitor Port
VMS2 Deck -> RCA Midilog 2 set on Line -> 10 Channel Stereo Mixer -> 3&4 Port
VMS2 Deck -> RCA Midilog 1 set on Line -> 10 Channel Stereo Mixer -> 5&6 Port

I've also tried

VMS2 Deck -> Balanced XLR Right -> 10 Channel Stereo Mixer -> 1 Port Right
VMS2 Deck -> Balanced XLR Left -> 10 Channel Stereo Mixer -> 1 Port Left

VMS2 Deck -> USB connected to Computer

These are all brand new wires so I don't believe it's a bad wire. I've also connected my MP3 player with an AUX cable - 1/4" Cable to the mixer and I can hear audio just fine with the setup I am trying to accomplish.

I've tried playing with all the different options that are offered for sound configuration and none of them are working. As I said earlier the weirdest part of all of this is that if I minimize VirtualDJ I can play something on like youtube and I get full audio and can even control the volume on the 10 channel stereo mixer.

I do apologize about this huge post but I figured I would put everything out there seeing as I've tried everything and nothing is working. I tried contacting the tech support for VirtualDJ and I was just sent the User Guide for Virtual DJ which, tried all those options as well and nothing worked.

Please help!

List of hardware I'm using for this:

American Audio VMS2 Mixer
Yamaha MG102 Mixing Console
Audio Box USB Audio Interface
Yamaha HS80m Monitors
XLR - RCA Cables
Balanced XLR - 1/4" XLR Cables

(Small side note, ignore that it say's I have the Virtual DJ LE Edition, I have another account that I have the Pro Edition purchased with, I just accidentally logged on this one and posted all this and don't wish to double post the same thing. But I do have a purchased, legit version of Virtual DJ Pro.)

Posted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 5:55 pm
Hexxie,

You don't have to change anything in your working setup. If the VMS is working with your speakers directly connected to it, take out the speakers, connect them to the Yamaha and connect the Master Out from the VMS to 2 channels (or 1 stereo channel if it has one) and you should be good to go.
As far as I can see the Yamaha Mixer can not be used as a soundcard (didn't DL'ed the manual because I need to register to DL anything from the Yamaha site) so you have to use the VMS as intended. Beside that: The left and right channel can't be separated from the VMS so the only thing the Yamaha is good for is controlling your master volume.
That you can hear anything else besides VDJ is probably because the USB Audio interface is your default soundcard, where the VMS is only configured to be used with VDJ.

Hope this helps.

Posted Wed 10 Jul 13 @ 10:35 am
HexxieLE userMember since 2012
I do appreciate the response. The main reason why I'm doing this is because I would like to have a plan B just in case my laptop were to ever freeze during a set. I've been offered once or twice to spin at certain venues but I didn't want to bring my gear and nothing hooks up properly which is why I'm trying to set it up as such. Maybe I should just contact the venues and see if I can try it out on and off day or something. I know there should be some way to hooking the deck up to a mixer with other devices on the mixer and play all of them just fine.

But basically I just wanted to get everything set up before going to a venue and nothing works or it's just the laptop + VMS deck with no plan B alternative.

Posted Thu 18 Jul 13 @ 6:12 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Hmm, probably one of us misses something here :)

The VMS2 offers what you want, unless i did not understand your question.
You just need to connect an analogue source (like a CD player) to the Inputs of the VMS2, and swtich the Midilog(s) to Analogue instead of USB in case you need to use that source.

So if the venue offers just a mixer with the amps connected to that mixer, you will need one or two CD players (connected to the VMS2) and connect the output of the VMS2 to a channel of that mixer.

If the venue offers both mixer and CD players, connect the Cd players to the VMS2 (instead of the venue's mixer) and use the VMS2 as mixer in case your laptop for a reason doesnt work (b plan)

If the venue doenst offer anything at all, you will need to connect the amps to the VMS2 and have one or two Cd players connected to Inputs as b plan.

In all the above cases, you dont have to modify the Sound Setup at all. The LE version doesnt give you that either, but its really not needed.

I dont have the unit, but if the unit behaves the same as the VMS4 (which i believe its the case), then the unit can operate without USB connection as a stand-alone mixer. It requires external power of course.

Unless you mean something else.

Posted Fri 19 Jul 13 @ 7:33 pm
RobRoyPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2012
djdad is right....just try as he recommend. Be shure that you use the latest version of your software. If you need the Yamaha HS80M as Monitors, just connect them to the booth out ( this is made exactlyfor this kind of use). The HS80 should work fine cause they are active powered.
To me there is no need for another usb audio interface. Make shure that the vms is not set as the basic sound output device in your windows system control.

Posted Sat 20 Jul 13 @ 2:37 am
ih310Home userMember since 2013
i have a problem with my Amarican audio VMS2.
i can get sound and full control through deck 1 but nothing trough deck 2.

i have it set up like this:

basically the USB from my pc to the mixer an nothing else other than my headphones.

so what am i doing wrong if anyone knows the correct set up please tell me :D

Posted Fri 26 Jul 13 @ 3:03 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
VMS2 works like an external analogue dj mixer. That mean you need to connect speakers on the Master Output of the device instead of trying to use your computer's speakers
Alternatively, you can use a proper cable to route the Sound from the Master Output of VMS to the LineIn/Mic Input of your computer, so that the sound go out from your computer's speakers, but that's not highly suggested
Sound Setup (Config of VirtualDJ)
Inputs->None
Outputs-->External Mixer
Sound card ->VMS icon oe ASIO and choose the ADJ ASIO next to that.

Posted Fri 26 Jul 13 @ 3:09 pm
I'm using Virtual DJ 8 with a Steinberg CI2 external audio interface and I can't get the audio setting right. I'm trying to use the CI2 to output to external speakers and use the CI2 headphone output as well to beatmatch. I've tried various settings but can't get the right one, where am I going wrong?

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 3:47 pm
I'm using Virtual DJ 8 with a Steinberg CI2 external audio interface and I can't get the audio setting right. I'm trying to use the CI2 to output to external speakers and use the CI2 headphone output as well to beatmatch. I've tried various settings but can't get the right one, where am I going wrong?

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 3:50 pm
This thread is about the VMS2. You're asking a question about a different product.

Please try to avoid hijacking other people's threads with unrelated questions.

To answer your question however, it looks to me that the CI2 only has a single stereo output. The headphone output is not on a separate channel (which is what's required for DJ cue purposes). It's merely a duplicate of the main output.

This should be obvious from the number of CI2 channels available in the VDJ audio setup.

Posted Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 4:11 pm
acv0408Home userMember since 2016
I am wanting to run the sound from my laptop through my VMS2 ( basically use the VMS2 instead of my internal sound card). Is this possible and if so how do I do it? I have disabled my internal speakers and set the VMS2 as my speaker output on my laptop, but have no sound.

Posted Sat 10 Sep 16 @ 10:58 pm

Posted Sun 11 Sep 16 @ 8:30 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)