Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: To strobe or not to strobe.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Strobing that is the question.

I have (2) On Stage "crank up" light stands with a Nucleus Pro on top, a vertical ColorStrip down the side, and a Cirrus Laser mounted above the ColorStrip. And I want to add another effect. I want the effect to really cut though, so I'm thinking Laser or Strobe.

I like that new American DJ Ruby Royal Red Blue Magenta Laser, except it draws a wobbly line. The other choice is a pair of Martin 3000 DMX Strobe units.

It would depend on the gig whether to point the stobes UP to the ceiling, or DOWN to the dancefloor. I know this light can be dangerous and might trigger headaches or worse with improper operatioin.

I'm a bit concened about current draw, but other than the laser the lights are LEDs. I know enough to not put them on the same circuit as the sound system.

I want a good sharp effect. The Nucleus Pros are awesome at splashing colors all around the room, but I want something else impressive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy

Posted Fri 14 Jun 13 @ 1:10 am
If you use strobes then you will need to prominently display warning signs stating that strobe lighting is in use, otherwise you could face legal action if it causes somebody to have an epileptic fit. Preferably, strobe lighting should be avoided for this reason.

Posted Fri 14 Jun 13 @ 5:31 am
The Martin strobe is nice, I have shown pictures of mine below.

I would like to tell you my experiences as a DJ with regard to strobes, years ago nobody was bothered and everybody was happy and the effects were good but nowadays you only have to be seen putting one up on your truss before somebody comes up complaining that they have epilepsy.

If you had 1000 under 25's you wouldn't get a single issue but if you play at a wedding or similar to 100 people you get some twat who will say they suffer with epilepsy, I had one woman once say she had sensitive ears and the volume couldn't be above a level which you couldn't talk over and the same woman couldn't have smoke either because she has asthma, I just knew when the strobe came on she would be epileptic too, and guess what? she was!

Rule of the story? if you want great equipment use it to play to under 25's because their fun individuals.

PS,

This item has a switch changing it from 1500w to 3000w, I never used this switch as 1500w was more than enough to get them complaining.

Posted Fri 14 Jun 13 @ 11:40 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Posted Fri 14 Jun 13 @ 12:41 pm
Charlie is dead on with the use of strobes at a function. I leave mine at home now. I had the same issues with a fog machine. Everytime I gave it a blast I always get bad looks from people or complaints at about 90% of my gigs. I purchased a real Antari hazer and I have never got one complaint or bad stare once. I can leave it on all night and still get zero complaints. Today Antari makes a water based hazer fluid so depending on the event I can use eith water based fluid or oil. I prefer the water now as it doesn't leave any filmy residue on anything. Especially contacts and glasses!

Posted Fri 14 Jun 13 @ 1:26 pm
Typical.

Those magical words...

Health & Safety.

Lawsuit.

Sigh...

Posted Fri 14 Jun 13 @ 3:12 pm
Ok everyone thanks. Yeah, my next party is for 100+ 19 year old girls. Should be lots of fun. I love the girl-leee screams when I mix in a song they recognize.

I made my decision. I eBay'd a pair of R-G-B-P quad lasers. They will look nice mounted vertical and in parallel next to the ColorStrips on each of the two crank up tripods, with the Nucleus Pros on top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140904350353?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2294wt_1190

The DMX control will be nice. I'm guessing that I am still registered for the US Safety Variance, that I earned by attending a Laser seminar at the Atlantic City DJ Expo a couple of years ago.

All 4 color lasers are under 300mw. The purple is 350mw because they sum a blue and red laser to get the color.

I really like stobes though. We had them in the clubs all through the 80's. I guess I used them prudently. I never had a club customer, manager, or staff come up to me and ask to stop using them. Back then it was cool. Today everybody wants to sue each other.

The Martin 3000 does have "lightning" mode. And the demo looks pretty cool. Putting them up on the ceiling would be awesome.

Maybe I'll start looking around for some used ones. A pair of bad ones would be ok. I'm sure I could fix 'em.

Thanksa again guys. You have all been quite helpful.

Jimmy

Posted Sat 15 Jun 13 @ 5:42 am
Lol you defiantly don't need two their really bright even in 1500w mode, even at that I had the fader half way down on the controller.

Strobes are good for build ups in dance music really adds something to the atmosphere.

Posted Sun 16 Jun 13 @ 1:54 pm
Charlie... yes I agree in the strobes adding excitement to the music. I was thinking 2 would be cool to ping pong them back and forth for a cool effect.

I'll report in how the quad lasers work out. I don't think they will be able to create the same exciting effect. But then again I won't be triggering someone's health problem.

Posted Sun 16 Jun 13 @ 2:31 pm
djcityPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Slightly off topic...

Strobes can set off an epileptic fit.

Did you know that you can MAKE drunk people throw up with EXCESSIVE bass?

Just another handy and useless DJ tip...

Posted Mon 17 Jun 13 @ 4:16 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Short answer- Always have and always will strobe at the club.

-DJ Kavika

Posted Wed 19 Jun 13 @ 10:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)