Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Pioneer DDJ-SX controller - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I am looking into moving from my current Pioneer DJM-800 / dual CDJ-400 setup to a controller to make things a little lighter. I have used Pioneer exclusively for many years and am considering purchasing the Pioneer DDJ-SX

Has anyone been using this controller sucessfully with the current maps available? Pros and Cons

Another option would be the Denon MC-6000, but I would perfer to go with Pioneer

Thanks

James Hall
James Hall Events
Pittsfield, MA.
www.jameshallevents.com

Posted Thu 06 Jun 13 @ 7:14 am

Posted Thu 06 Jun 13 @ 7:29 am
I would prefer a 4 channel option

Posted Thu 06 Jun 13 @ 7:52 am
jdunhamPRO InfinityMember since 2013
l am debating the same issue. I would rather have the DDJ SX but if I dont like serato (which I never have used it) I dont want to be stuck with a controller that costs a grand that doesn't function the way that it should. I like Virtual DJ so at first I was heavily considering the MC 6000. Now that the Pioneer is natively supported, I want to know which is the better option to go with? Pioneer or Denon? I am also waiting on VDJ 8 to come out...It looks awesome which is another reason that I don't want to be forced to switch to serato because of the controller that I chose. Any suggestions from Atomix would be awesome as to which controller will preform to a higher standard with VDJ would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Nephilim D
http://facebook.com/nephilimd

Posted Fri 06 Sep 13 @ 8:41 am
frab51PRO InfinityMember since 2011
jdunham wrote :
l am debating the same issue. I would rather have the DDJ SX but if I dont like serato (which I never have used it) I dont want to be stuck with a controller that costs a grand that doesn't function the way that it should. I like Virtual DJ so at first I was heavily considering the MC 6000. Now that the Pioneer is natively supported, I want to know which is the better option to go with? Pioneer or Denon? I am also waiting on VDJ 8 to come out...It looks awesome which is another reason that I don't want to be forced to switch to serato because of the controller that I chose. Any suggestions from Atomix would be awesome as to which controller will preform to a higher standard with VDJ would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Nephilim D
http://facebook.com/nephilimd

I have both mixers and I like them both... I like the ddj sx better because of the response time with the cues and it is spread out more and easier to handle... However the Denon mc6000 is awesome... and I am looking to sell my so if you are interested.... let me know

Posted Sun 08 Sep 13 @ 6:16 pm
I will more than likely go with pioneer. If I go the Denon route, I will more than likely buy new. They are offering a 100 dollar rebate and the price has dropped a lot, so I can have a warranty and all for 600 with the MC6000

Posted Sun 08 Sep 13 @ 6:21 pm
DO NOT GO WITH THE DDJ-SX. VIRTUAL DJ RUNS LIKE **** WITH THIS CONTROLLER. 10 MONTHS AFTER RELEASE AND VDJ STILL CANNOT FIX THIS.

moderated to remove bad language

Posted Sun 15 Sep 13 @ 12:35 pm
@burnyabad

You have previously been warned about using bad language in your posts, do this again and your account will be locked.

Atomix technical support has posted in another one of your threads explaining the current situation with the DDJ-SX so please stop dragging up every thread to complain.

Regards

Keith

Posted Sun 15 Sep 13 @ 1:06 pm
I see it only takes an obscene word to get a quick response from atomix :) I bought the ddj, and tried it out last night. Like mentioned above, it did preform not as expected with vdj. All the controls function but it freezes . I have a new MacBook Pro so it's not the computer slowing it down. It works great with serato so I will probably use the ddj with that and buy mc 6000 to use with vdj :)

Posted Sun 15 Sep 13 @ 1:50 pm
I am not Atomix staff, just a forum moderator.

The user above raised this issue in 4 different threads, here's the response from Atomix:

Support staff wrote :
The native mapping in v7.4 was designed for 4 deck use. If you are using it with 2 decks, then you will need to download and install the updated mapper that takes this into account (To avoid VirtualDJ 'wrapping' decks 3&4 back to 1&2): http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/15822/Pioneer_DDJ-SX_(Native).html

Ideally for best results, you should use it with a 4 deck skin as intended by the manufacturer.

The only other issue that we are aware of is lag if you scratch on both decks simultaneously, but this is not something that most DJ's would be doing in a live performance. It's appears to be caused by the slicer section, which due to not currently being a native function in VirtualDJ is implemented using some very complex VDJscript. If you need to be able to scratch on both decks simultaneously, try deleting the slicer mappings and map them to something else (E.g: Triggering effects, etc.) This may be something that can be improved in a future version of VirtualDJ if slicer becomes a native function.

NOTE: The DDJ-SX should be used in the default Serato mode, otherwise the platter LED's will not work well.

Posted Sun 15 Sep 13 @ 2:15 pm
Switched vdj to four decks and audio settings to headphones and 4 out and things seem to work better. So far it did not freeze and all the normal functions seemed to work

Posted Sun 15 Sep 13 @ 6:37 pm
burnyabad wrote :
DO NOT GO WITH THE DDJ-SX. VIRTUAL DJ RUNS LIKE **** WITH THIS CONTROLLER. 10 MONTHS AFTER RELEASE AND VDJ STILL CANNOT FIX THIS.

Mine is perfect!! I,m playing video, karaoke and MP3, no problems at all with Macbook Pro w/OSX 10.8.5 and PC w/ Windows 7. Both computers got quad core prosessor and 8GB RAM/1600mhz :-)

Posted Tue 17 Sep 13 @ 2:21 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Have in mind that the DDJ-SX was our choice for our main dj booth at BPM show this year (the passed weekend). Definitely we wouldn't choose a controller for that, if we were not 100% sure that it would work fine.
More than 12 guest djs played live with that too, and there were no issues reported at all. On the contrary, most of them had used the device with Serato as well, and all of them mentioned that the performance with ViirtualDJ was outstanding, so i am not sure of what issues are you referred to.

Posted Tue 17 Sep 13 @ 5:31 pm
jjloevli wrote :
burnyabad wrote :

Mine is perfect!! I,m playing video, karaoke and MP3, no problems at all with Macbook Pro w/OSX 10.8.5 and PC w/ Windows 7. Both computers got quad core prosessor and 8GB RAM/1600mhz :-)

So, your telling the rest of us that YOU, and only YOU and devs have a fully functional ddj-sx controller with vdj.. WOW. So, your able to scratch from BOTH platters?

Posted Wed 18 Sep 13 @ 12:31 pm
NO, really. 99.9% of us do not have a functional ddj-sx controller

Posted Wed 18 Sep 13 @ 3:16 pm
burnyabad wrote :
jjloevli wrote :
burnyabad wrote :

So, your telling the rest of us that YOU, and only YOU and devs have a fully functional ddj-sx controller with vdj.. WOW. So, your able to scratch from BOTH platters?

Me and several others i know!! And in answer to your question, i don,t scratch.
I,ve used it for 11 months, over 100 gigs, not i single issue.(just the mic, before the new firmware) :-)

Posted Mon 23 Sep 13 @ 1:20 pm
OK, WELL, WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH MINE THEN? DID YOU HAVE TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE MAPPER FILE, DID YOU HAVE TO CHANGE ANYTHING... I HAVE TO TURN MY TRIM UP AND DOWN ON EACH CHANNEL WHEN I LOAD A SONG IN ORDER TO CONTROL THE VOLUME OF THE SONG. NO MATTER WHAT, IF I DONT THEN THE TRIM CONTROL FOR EACH CHANNEL WILL NOT RESPOND. I HAVE TO ROLL IT ALL THE WAY FORWARD, THEN ALL THE WAY BACK TO GET TRIM CONTROL TO RESPOND.

I HAVE INSTALLED VIRTUAL DJ TWICE NOW, 2 DIFFERENT COMPUTERS AS WELL... SAME RESULT.

Posted Mon 23 Sep 13 @ 2:33 pm
OK IM ALMOST 10000000000000% SURE I SEE A PATTERN HERE.... MAC'S. APPLE.... NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH MAC OR APPLE.... I WANT TO HEAR IF THE PC USERS ARE HAVING THIS ISSUE.

Posted Mon 23 Sep 13 @ 2:35 pm
Sorry for the attitude... I have installed vdj now... 5 times, bpm scanned by system 5 times, that over 40 hours of work, and i have the same result with 2 computers, PC based. The TRIM control for each channel must be turned 100% left, and 100% right in order for it to respond, for each channel, EACH time a song is loaded on that deck...

Posted Mon 23 Sep 13 @ 2:41 pm
You need to disable AUTO GAIN in options.

Posted Mon 23 Sep 13 @ 7:43 pm
50%