Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Cued Song Being Heard Through Speakers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a brand new HP Envy m6-1125DX Laptop running Windows 8 64 bit. My configuration is Inputs-None , Output-Headphones, Sound Card-Mono Separated. If I go to cue up a song on deck 2 with my headphones while the song on deck 1 is playing through my Mackie speakers the song on deck 2 also starts playing through the speakers so that everybody can hear the song I am cueing. I am using Virtual DJ 7.3 Pro.

I am not new to Virtualdj. I have been using it for years for deejaying. This seems to be something isolated to this laptop. Does anybody have any ideas of what I can do to fix this?

Posted Sat 16 Mar 13 @ 7:17 am
Are you using a splitter cable? If not, does your laptop have two separate outputs or are you using an external audio interface?

If you've been DJing for years, you should be aware of the following:

It's not possble to have a cue plus master output on a single stereo laptop output socket unless you use a specific DJ splitter cable.

To cue (in stereo) & have a separate master output (in stereo) you need either a multi-channel sound card or two standard stereo ones.

Posted Sat 16 Mar 13 @ 8:17 am
Yes, I am using the same Y- splitter cable that I have always used on other laptops. It is connected to the headphones jack on the laptop. One side of the cable goes to my headphones for prelistening. The other side of the Y-cable goes into my mixer. The same way that I have done it for years.

The problem now is that when I am trying to prelisten to deck 2 while deck 1 is playing through the speakers the song that I am prelistening to on deck 2 is also playing through the speakers.

It must be something with the soundcard on this laptop. The soundcard is a IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. There is also something listed in the Device Manager under Sound, Video, and game controllers called Intel (R) Display Audio.

Still searching for the answer.

Posted Sat 16 Mar 13 @ 8:34 am
Your laptop's sound card might have virtual surround or a similar effect that it applies to the headphone output to enhance the sound. This would result in some of the sound from the left channel bleeding to the right and vice-versa. Check your laptop's sound card control panel to ensure that any special effects or enhancements are disabled.

Ideally you should use a proper dedicated multi-channel DJ sound card such as Numark DJ-IO, especially for live performance - This will give you stereo sound rather than mono, which is all you can get with the splitter option.

Posted Sat 16 Mar 13 @ 3:50 pm
I got my problem solved. It turns out that I had 2 different HP laptops experiencing the same problem. The HP laptops that I have came preloaded with built in software sound mixers. One was called SoundMax and the other was called Beats Audio Control Panel. I uninstalled this software on both laptops and now my VirtualDJ is working correctly. Hope this helps somebody else out with the same problem.

Posted Sat 16 Mar 13 @ 10:23 pm

Posted Mon 24 Nov 14 @ 5:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)