Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Relocating moved files
Is there a way to relocate moved files?
I've moved some files around on my drive "organizing" and now my playlist are jacked saying tracks are not found.
I have "checked,cleaned and fixed" but nothing.

I know there is a way in Serato to do this but not sure in Virtual Dj.

This is the serato way

Just would be helpful if there was a way for this to happen.
Thanks for the help.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 7:46 am
have you tried to re scan the database so VirtualDJ could relocate the files?

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 8:12 am
I'm working on a solution for this. I'll be back on it once home from vacation.

Roy

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 10:09 am
Along the same lines, I copied a bunch of tracks or to another drive within VDJ and when I opened up the drive on a different machine I had to rescan everything all over again. Now I did the same tracks and used "move files" within VDJ this time it worked. I think the database should also be copied with the tracks even when using "copy files". Or maybe it's the fact I went from a PC to Mac.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 10:25 am
On that, if you ever move files around, try and do it from inside VDJ.

If will not only move the files, it will also move the database info to the database on the new drive.

But playlists and virtual folders need to be manually repaired even if you do the above.

I'm hoping to solve a number of these issues with a utility I am developing.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 10:38 am
Moving stuff around in VDJ is a lot harder then opening the drive up, and doing what needs to be done.
Roy hope this program your working on works will for this issue. the playlist fixer (from Jeremy k) in the tools section can't do whole drives, and it's not in english lol.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 10:44 am
GadgetMan wrote :
On that, if you ever move files around, try and do it from inside VDJ.

If will not only move the files, it will also move the database info to the database on the new drive.

But playlists and virtual folders need to be manually repaired even if you do the above.

I'm hoping to solve a number of these issues with a utility I am developing.

Cheers,

Roy

As I said in my post ^^ up above, I did do that but instead of moving I copied which doesn't copy the database. Soooo.VDJ will only transfer the database if you use the "MOVE" options.

Hope that clears that upland yes all of it was done within VDJ. Just another prime example of why I'd like to see the info wrote back to the tag like Serato does instead of a database, and yes I understand it has it's advantages......

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 12:23 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
....Then why can't the program just append a xml file while it copy's that file to another drive, providing one exist....And if it doesn't write one. I also understand that if you are just doing a copy to another folder in the same drive, there would be no need to append or write.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 1:48 pm
Or that's fine to......... all's I know is I was shocked when I opened the drive within VDJ only to find I had to rescan everything again. If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you.
I'm glad it was only a few hundred videos and not the entire drive.........and I still stand by the fact In my opinion it should be stored in the tag.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 3:01 pm
As beatbreaker has said, I did the same thing took stuff from the open drive and moved them into folders to clean up my drive. but if you "rescan" the drive it does not relocate the missing files, it shows up as file not found in playlist or the history. Kinda a pain when you use playlist for the most part and have to re edit the list every time you move a file. not saying i play from a playlist or the history just use it as a fast function when you play back to back nights.

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 3:40 pm
I'll keep these in mind...

Roy

Posted Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 6:25 pm
For anyone else who encounters problems with file path changes breaking play lists, database etc. You can always create a junction point in Windows to point old directories to new ones if moving an entire directory. Alternatively get yourself a good text editor e.g. Notepad++, open all XML files used by VDJ at the same time! and search replace any old paths with new ones. Best to do this with VDJ closed. Might want to BACKUP the VDJ config folders first just to be on the safe side.
You could probably write a script to do this fairly easilly using a file of changes to be made and then search replacing all paths in a single click of a batch file or VBS script etc.

Hope that helps until VDJ add the missing function.

I would have assumed a simple function could scan your drive for files that's paths no longer exist. Create an array of all subfolders in each music location and check each whether each missing file exists at one of the sub folder locations. That's how I'd solve it as there are likely to be a lot less folders to check that individual files.

Posted Wed 06 Apr 16 @ 4:45 pm
Cannot find a solution for this.. searching usually takes me to this blog page.. but no answer.

Posted Sat 16 Sep 23 @ 11:38 am

Posted Sat 16 Sep 23 @ 11:40 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
That post was from 10 years ago.

Posted Sat 16 Sep 23 @ 11:43 am