Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My 1st live gigs with vDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Had my 1st 2 live gigs with vDJ this weekend and for those interested, here is how it went.

Pretty well...

2 problems.

==
One gig was a wedding reception and the host needed to have a CD played for a performance. Having never tried vDJ audio CD access before, I decided to get brave and try it. I thought I had read in the manual that vDJ reads audio CDs just like .mp3.

vDJ would not read the tracks on the CD (commercial audio CD) and so I was scrambling for something to use to play it. Luckily, Winamp came to the rescue.

==
After getting through those long 90 seconds of the audio CD ordeal, I removed the CD and gave it back to the host, then restarted vDJ to continue playing. vDJ choked and threw up an error of sorts (I was too busy trying to recover to write down the error). Apparently, vDJ was still expecting a CD in the drive and choked when it couldn't find one.

In order to restart, I threw in another audio CD, then vDJ started. Then I immediately navigated back to the HDD from vDJ's nav window and then removed the audio CD.

------------------------------------------

Otherwise I was pretty happy with vDJ's performance [:o). I do believe the Playlist finctionality needs improvement tho, (see my other post on this forum about Playlists)

In order for the Playlist to serve more than just the function for auto mixing, there needs to be an option that does not remove the song from the list once it is played (not move it to the end) , allow the song to retain it's position in the list and keep the current position in the playlist visible by keeping the curser highlighted on the song that is selected. Although the Playlists appear to be designed for the automix function, there are DJs that work from playlists when mixing.

One important point I would like to make about Playlists is that, they assist in the method of harmonic mixing. Mixing songs with similar BPMs are not always harmonic and that is the limitation of just viewing songs in a folder on the drive vs using Playlists.

Posted Mon 15 Sep 03 @ 7:25 am
well said with the playlists, i'd second those comments :)

Posted Mon 15 Sep 03 @ 7:30 am
thanks for tyhe update. did you use it the rest of the gig? any crashes? I haven't tried virtual DJ at a live gig just yet but I hope to do so soon.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 2:30 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Been using it live since V1.0. but snce 1.03 no problems....

Posted Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 2:57 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I too have been using it live since 1.00. No problems with it since DAY 1.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 2:59 am
Great! I will have to try it.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 4:02 am
Same for me, I using it live since 1.00. No crash with it since first day. 4 nights a week (9pm to 3am) :-)

Coyote

Posted Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 5:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)