Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual DJ Database Not Recognizing iTunes Library Changes

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

finchx6PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I use iTunes to organize my genres and playlists. I know many despise iTunes, but it's the easiest way for me to keep everything organized for my ipod, iphone, ipad, as well as virtual DJ. And if I load my entire collection into programs like Winamp, it crashes..

The problem I'm having is that I end up going back and deleting a lot of files, replacing them with new versions (higher bitrates, or corrupt file problems, etc..)

When I do this in iTunes... Virtual DJ retains SOME of the OLD library information... it will update with the NEW files in the library, but will not get rid of the old ones. I tried as some suggested and used the Check and Clean options in Config, but it didn't seem to work as my old files are still listed in the iTunes library of Virtual DJ that are not actually in my iTunes library anymore..

I do NOT let iTunes organize my music for me, I keep everything organized into my own alphabetical folders on my storage harddrives. That seems to be the top complaint against iTunes is that it "is too automated" and I have all of that disabled. But how on earth do I get VDJ to recognize there are songs no longer in the iTunes library??

Any suggestions as to getting VDJ to update itself and get rid of old iTunes entries other than the Check and Clean options which apparently don't work with the iTunes library?

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 2:39 pm
You could try a program called Rinse by Real Networks.It has a feature that allows you to clean missing tracks in Itunes and when you open VDJ and run the clean database option all "dead tracks" should be gone.You should then be good to go.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 5:57 pm
Deleting them from my actual iTunes library isn't a problem, I do that personally. And there are no missing or old deleted tracks still in iTunes itself.. It's simply when I browse my iTunes library & playlists inside of Virtual DJ that the old files are still listed.

I assumed it was a problem with the VDJ database itself not clearing them out properly, but using the check and clean options didn't correct the problem, as I mentioned.

I'll try running the software you gave and see if maybe that kicks something in iTunes' a** that initiates some kind of change that VDJ will recognize when it loads the iTunes library upon start up after I run a check and clean through it as well and let you know what the results are.

I've honestly been considering purchasing Mixed In Key and having it scan my library for bpm and key signature... That's the entire reason I don't just simply delete my VDJ database and start over is because I've got so many thousands of tracks already scanned and the information stored in the XML file for VDJ. But if I can't get it to recognize when I remove tracks from iTunes, then I'll simply scan my libraries with Mixed in Key or other software that stores the information in the ID tags rather than a database. Probably would be for the best anyway, but I'm really not looking forward to just leaving the computer scanning so much music all over again LOL.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 6:35 pm
This is a constant battle for me as well, I use itunes to manage my library and playlists and it irritates me to no end if I make changes in itunes to the id3 tags (primarily comments) and they dont write or update properly.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 7:09 pm
Yeah I had no luck with Rinse as suggested, however the application itself seems quite useful to people who aren't quite as OCD as I am about keeping everything in their iTunes library update to date manually because they hate iTunes' automated options.. LOL.

I'm honestly thinking what I'll do is fork out the $$ for Mixed In Key... It's not very expensive, and it'll write the bpm and key into the actual ID tags of the files. Then I'll have iTunes do an entire update to the library and re-check ID tags... At which point I'll delete the VDJ xml database file and let it create a new one with the updated iTunes data...

Honestly it seems like the easiest and most reliable way to keep all of it up to date without having to go through and manually edit your VDJ XML file... Well for my OCD problems with my music it seems like I'll have the most control over things and not rely entirely on the VDJ database XML file for the bpm and key scans it has found on its own. This way if that file gets lost or corrupt or I simply need to delete it as I do now to get these issues resolved, it's not a major issue as I won't have to rescan everything.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 7:50 pm
My problem is my OCD doesnt want to lose the play counts.

I seem to recall once upon a time there was a way to do a happy medium, where you could update all your tags efficiently without doing the batch update... It was a topic i started but i cant find it now.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 9:30 pm
djmatteo:

I'm not entirely sure if it will retain the play count, but I found my working solution... It does involve spending some extra $$ on MIK like I mentioned earlier, but this is perfect for my problems I was having..

Quite simple actually..
1. Bought and downloaded MIK 5.1
2. Tell the software to write to your ID tags for tempo and key... (I had it place my tempo in the tempo ID field and key in the comments field as well as the Initial Key tag)
3. Select a directory that you want to scan and tag with the tempo and key
4. After its done, open up iTunes and find the tracks
5. Shift+Click (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) to select the tracks you've scanned with MIK
6. Right click and choose Convert ID tags... check the box and choose v2.3
7. iTunes will automatically recognize the tempo and the new comments section that MIK added when you choose to convert them.

If in the options for MIK, you choose to write to the tempo and initial key tags... delete your VDJ database file, and then open VDJ... as it rescans your iTunes library, it will automatically recognize the initial key and the bpm info that MIK scanned and wrote to the tags.

Posted Tue 16 Oct 12 @ 3:18 am
If I updated comments, ratings etc would this work without MIK?

I just sorted 25k files, made essential lists, rated, changed comments etc but when I did batch update in virtual dj old info still lingers.. I did read something about the tags and the version, maybe i should just try a couple small files :>.

Also one issue I hate is how impossible it is to rewrite comments without getting a bunch of random numbers sometimes!! GRRR!!

Posted Wed 24 Oct 12 @ 4:42 pm
SintarPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I have the same problem on Mac btw. I. A thread I started it was implied that this is correct behavior but I just don't see how that is true. It's supposed to be reading the iTunes playlist, but clearly it does not do this properly as the iTunes playlist works fine, only VDJ does read changes to it.

Posted Tue 26 Mar 13 @ 6:26 pm
I'm having the exact same problem that the original poster explained… My changes to iTunes playlists are not being updated in VDJ as they should.

Are there any fixes available but does not involve purchasing mixed in Key software? Or deleting my primary XML database file in VDJ?

And to the mods, sorry for reopening this thread, however it exactly describes my problem.

Posted Sun 10 Nov 13 @ 9:33 am
it's take me weeks to fix this issue but finally I have fixed it.

Your Virtual DJ is looking at an out of date iTunes library file.

see example below

open up your settings.xml file in notepad find this line (yours may be a little different)
<iTunesDatabaseFile>C:\Users\New User\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml</iTunesDatabaseFile>

go check out your iTunes folder and see if you have two database files as I did.

old file was iTunes Music Library.xml
new file was \iTunes Music.xml
to find which is your newer file just look at the time and date stamp.

return to the settings.xml file in Virtual DJ and change it to your newer database file.

<iTunesDatabaseFile>C:\Users\New User\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music.xml</iTunesDatabaseFile>
save your changes and relaunch VDJ and enjoy.

Posted Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 3:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)