Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Beginner needing major help with his Pioneer DDJ-ERGO - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Uggh, I don't even know where to begin. Im new to DJ'ing and just bought a brand new Pioneer DDJ-ERGO controller hooked up to a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7.

The problems Im having is I just recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on the laptop and reformatted everything. Updated all drivers (I think), and installed VDJ.

When I pull up VDJ, I get the error (( ERROR IN THE SOUND DRIVER (DIRECTX/WDM):YOUR SOUNDCARD IS PROBABLY NOT CONNECTED, OR THE SETTINGS ARE INCORRECT.

I wouldnt know where to begin to correct this problem. I went to Device Manager too see if there were any yellow ? marks, and there was not. Went to speaker (Volume) and saw it was set on LINE (Pioneer DDJ-ERGO)). Well, ever since I plugged in the ERGO in the USB slot, my sound on my computer has gone dead. I can't play anything at all.

The ERGO has an 8 gauge speaker cable going into the MASTER input in the back of the controller.
From there it runs to a Mackie 1801 sub powered speaker box
Output A and B have cables going out of the Sub to two TH-15A Mackie PA's.

Again, no sound but Im thinking since the sound is relying on the EGO to work, that is why Im not getting any sound, period.

One other problem I noticed is the ERGO doesnt seem to respond to the laptop. Even though I get the soundcard error above, the software still comes up, and Im able to load manually from the laptop an audio track, but the ERGO doesnt respond when i press the play button on Deck A where its loaded too on the software. Just weird. Is this because the soundcard first needs to be fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted Sun 11 Mar 12 @ 9:45 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
First, if you unplug the ERGO and reboot, do you have sound with the laptop speakers, if so, with Virtual DJ?
Second, are you using the VD-J that came with the ERGO?

Posted Sun 11 Mar 12 @ 10:09 pm
blckjck wrote :
First, if you unplug the ERGO and reboot, do you have sound with the laptop speakers, if so, with Virtual DJ?
Second, are you using the VD-J that came with the ERGO?

Thank you for the quick response! Yes I do have a licensed copy that came with the DDJ-ERGO. (Sorry I think I registered the product after I posted this, to make it seem confusing).

Yes, I do have sound right away when I unplug the ERGO from the laptop. When I plug it back it, boom, sound is gone.

Posted Sun 11 Mar 12 @ 10:25 pm
http://pioneerdj.com/support/product.php?c=28&lang=en&p=DDJ-ERGO-V&t=faq

Q7 I can perform operations with Virtual DJ Limited Edition, but no sound is output (the unit is not recognized as an audio device). The DDJ-ERGO is recognized on the computer.
A7

If multiple USB devices (such as a mouse, keyboard, etc.) are connected to the same USB bus system on the computer or to a USB hub, they may not operate properly due to problems in the USB bus bandwidth or conflicts between the USB devices.
In such cases, changing the USB port used for connection can sometimes improve the problem.

Looks like this thing uses a bit of power. Have you tried this?

Posted Sun 11 Mar 12 @ 11:52 pm
Also, just as a side thought, do you have another USB cable to test with? Same gauge or thicker, not a real thin one.

Posted Sun 11 Mar 12 @ 11:55 pm
blckjck wrote :
Also, just as a side thought, do you have another USB cable to test with? Same gauge or thicker, not a real thin one.

Well, it appears the DDJ-ERGO is being recognized by the laptop and VDJ. When i load up VDJ and a track, the ERGO's led luminations respond as if it knows a track just loaded in Deck A (doing this manually from the software, not loading from the ERGO).

If I press play on the VDJ software, the play button goes solid green, but the track does not play at all, or rather I do not see the beat waves start moving across. Same response if I press play on the controller. both the software and the Ergo go solid green, but no response from the track. Just wont play.

Further more I see have the error from the sound card (DirectX/WDM). I always thought DirectX had to do with your video card?? If this helps, i do not have DirectX installed. Should I download DirectX and install? I normally only see DirectX come up when playing online graphic games.

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 12:11 am
Doctowho wrote :
blckjck wrote :

Well, it appears the DDJ-ERGO is being recognized by the laptop and VDJ. When i load up VDJ and a track, the ERGO's led luminations respond as if it knows a track just loaded in Deck A (doing this manually from the software, not loading from the ERGO).

If I press play on the VDJ software, the play button goes solid green, but the track does not play at all, or rather I do not see the beat waves start moving across. Same response if I press play on the controller. both the software and the Ergo go solid green, but no response from the track. Just wont play.

Further more I see have the error from the sound card (DirectX/WDM). I always thought DirectX had to do with your video card?? If this helps, i do not have DirectX installed. Should I download DirectX and install? I normally only see DirectX come up when playing online graphic games.

Well, i don't have anything else plugged in the laptop except a mouse, so I unplugged the mouse, but with no results, but I could of sworn I briefly (for a few seconds) saw under the Volume mixer on the bottom right corner come up with a Virtual DJ sound bar and then go away after 30secs but my eyes could of been seeing things.

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 12:32 am
blckjck wrote :

Well, another thing I forgot to do which may be the case is I had not gone into the sound configuration settings on the software, so I did this and discovered that SIMPLE was selected as my sound card, so I switched it to ASIO driver, but now I get the error ERROR IN THE ISO SOUND DRIVE. MAY NOT BE CONNECTED OR SETTINGS INCORRECT. I saw there is a Ultra Latency ISO box but it is unchecked. Should that be checked? I clicked on ASIO config, but nothing,

Inputs - none
Outputs - Single Output (other option is headphones)
Sound Card - ASIO driver

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 12:45 am
Have you removed everything from the USB ports, tried a different cable?

Does it work as a sound card for other programs besides VDJ. For example, when I plug in my Mixtrack Pro, it set's itself as the Default Sound. When I play a track in iTunes, it plays out of the Mixtrack by default.

If it does not, I would contact Pioneer support, from that point it sounds like an issue with the Ergo.

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 8:50 am
blckjck wrote :
Have you removed everything from the USB ports, tried a different cable?

Does it work as a sound card for other programs besides VDJ. For example, when I plug in my Mixtrack Pro, it set's itself as the Default Sound. When I play a track in iTunes, it plays out of the Mixtrack by default.

If it does not, I would contact Pioneer support, from that point it sounds like an issue with the Ergo.

I guess if it comes to that, I would have to buy another usb cable. Problem is I have no clue where to buy another one that came with the Ergo except contacting Pioneer and Im sure that cable aint cheap considering the style of ends it has. Maybe Fry's Electronics has it. Idk.

I will try and play sound from WMP, and Itunes, and see if this plays any results, but I think by default when the ERGO is plugged in, all sound is directed out of it by default, so in other words no sound at all can be played off my laptop, but let me check one more time.

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 10:45 am
Doctowho wrote :
blckjck wrote :

Well, another thing I forgot to do which may be the case is I had not gone into the sound configuration settings on the software, so I did this and discovered that SIMPLE was selected as my sound card, so I switched it to ASIO driver, but now I get the error ERROR IN THE ISO SOUND DRIVE. MAY NOT BE CONNECTED OR SETTINGS INCORRECT. I saw there is a Ultra Latency ISO box but it is unchecked. Should that be checked? I clicked on ASIO config, but nothing,

Inputs - none
Outputs - Single Output (other option is headphones)
Sound Card - ASIO driver

Oooooo k.............. This is weird, I opened my laptop as it was in sleep mode, and turned it back on, signed in, and brought up VDJ, no error. I have VDJ in the volume control as well now. I put in a track and NOW the ERGO responds and i can see the jog wheel now moving. This is weird. I got sound too. Idk what happened. I just have a weird feeling thus is going to happen again. Like a glitch or something.

Idk but it all seems to be working fine now. *shrugs* I didnt change nothing or do anything except close my laptop last night and applied sleep mode to it and went to bed, and now it works all of a sudden. Weird.....

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 11:15 am
Had you rebooted after any of the setup? When you go into sleep mode, Windows usually shuts off USB devices to conserver power, maybe the shutting off and turning back on helped the OS to recognize it.

I would do a few reboots, not suspends or hidernations, but full power down and up reboots. I would also run it hard at home / office before gigging it. Glad it's working for you.

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 3:06 pm

Posted Tue 13 Mar 12 @ 6:40 am
Support staff wrote :
Please check that your computer is optimised and configured correctly for running VirtualDJ:

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Performance%20Issues.html

Please also ensure that you have the latest drivers/firmware for the Pioneer DDJ-ERGO installed. You can find a link on the following page:

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/DDJ-ERGO.html

@ blckick - Yah I rebooted after the first setup, but not sure on the VDJ drivers. (oops).

Yah, Ill reboot a few times and play around with the ERGO as I didnt buy it all just for gigs, but to play around, produce music later, mix, etc.

I will certainly let you all know if something weird comes about again.

Thank you all for your help.

Posted Tue 13 Mar 12 @ 2:35 pm
hyb123Home userMember since 2012
I need help to fix my problem with speakers that i cannot put working with ergo and virtual dj. The sound dont work in speakers, and the speakers are fine because work in anything else. The faders and etc are in the right position , the configuration are correct and still nothing! please help. I use windows vista.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 12 @ 9:56 pm

Posted Thu 12 Apr 12 @ 4:55 am
TJ94043PRO InfinityMember since 2013
hi , i have ddj ergo and im confused on what those buttons 1, 2, 3 under effects peramiters do they dont light up or nothing when pressed..

im thinking u can map them somehow please help!! anyone else have an ddj ergo?

DJ Techno T

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 11:05 am
TJ94043 wrote :
hi , i have ddj ergo and im confused on what those buttons 1, 2, 3 under effects peramiters do they dont light up or nothing when pressed..

DJ Techno T

You should probably open up a thread of your own regarding this issue.

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 1:26 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
TJ94043 wrote :

DJ Techno T

The FX buttons 1,2,3 control the first 3 Effect buttons of the selected effect. Note that not all effects have buttons. Most of them only have sliders, so for some effects, those buttons will not do anything.

You can map them differently of course, and assign to those buttons something more important depending on yor mixing style.

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 2:11 pm
TJ94043PRO InfinityMember since 2013
i think i get ya.. ill try it tonight, i have not mapped at all kinda leary of it , i dont wanna screw up my controller..

Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 @ 2:35 pm
87%