Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BEATLOCK NEEDS UPDATEING

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

when I have the beatlock on the songs keep on skipping non stop I were djing live! when this happen I had to open my BPM PRO sofware,plaese look into this also the automix works of and on sometimes it mix the music and some times it don't.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 03 @ 2:39 am
stay away from beatlock (IMO).

I do everything manually ... (I have CD mixing experience, so manual cueing is no problem). Nice and quick and no skipping.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 03 @ 6:37 am
It is a nice feature Beatlock! I am the same, I do it manually since I am used to beat matching.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 03 @ 1:48 pm
If you mix the wrong part of a song beatlock breaks the armony but this is normal.Only some parts could be mixed.Try to mix manually.
But is true that the beatlock needs some upgrading.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 03 @ 11:06 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Most often I mix manually as well. BUT, when you happen to be working a set of music that is "beatlock friendly" (usually uptempo stuff... techno and remixes) Using the beatlock is actually a lot of fun... with beatlock working it leaves your hands (and mouse) free to really play with the tracks and come up with some fairly cool transitions...

Posted Thu 04 Sep 03 @ 11:18 pm
Biggest problems are with funky-disco songs wich tempo is not constant.
Techno songs like underworld chemical brothers etc can be fully beatmatched without beatlock.
Today i mixed 1 bigbeat song whit a techno one.It beatmatched!.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 03 @ 11:32 pm
I would agree completely with DJ Rick. It is important to recognize that some features are only useful for "beatlock friendly" tracks.

It was also the reason I asked in another post if there was any possibility of setting the range in which vDJ computes BPM, since beatlock is so dependent on accurate BPMs.

Although the design on many softwares like vDJ are based on constant Tempo music, it would be nice if developers kept in mind the many other genres that will be played by the application.

I, like Disco-InfernO, like to play Disco in my sets, but my audience also needs Reggae, R&B, Hip Hop, Soca and Salsa. Beatlock does not help very much with these genres and I have no real problem matching manually, but it would be helpful if for example there was a simple feature that puts the Pitch Slider in the same position as the Slider on the opposite desk. For these genres, if you choose songs that have a similar tempo, you almost always need to pitch the upcoming track pretty close to whats playing and it saves time if you can just press one key to get the Pitch Slider into the speed area.

I agree especially with DJ Rick's point about being relieved of rudimentary tasks to create more interesting output. Hopefully this makes sense to others who haven't thought about things this way [:o)

Posted Fri 05 Sep 03 @ 5:08 pm
that's right when you make a sofware can't just think of one kind of music,I like beatlock it needs fixing up,

Posted Sat 06 Sep 03 @ 4:23 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
BUT, if a track doesn't have a srtong steady well defined beat, then no amount of "fixing it up" will help.
With some types of music the main beats are too busy, or hidden by other sounds or fill beats.
Perhaps the best thing we could hope for is that our manual beat tap option be more of a beat assist. In that we tap the beat for 4-8 beats, that would help VDJ find the actual beat so that it could count it more accurately.

Posted Sat 06 Sep 03 @ 5:58 pm
@Rick, you may be right with the beat tap option, but if the main genre you play is not beat-computation friendly... (because the beats are busy, hidden or whatever), it would be pretty time consuming to tap out 2000 songs.

That’s why I suggest simple option to just bring the pitch slider into the range or match the opposite desk.

I think a good DJ typically has a pretty good idea if the tempo of the song he is about to play is close enough or mixable with what the audience is listening to. Think about the 1st thing DJ does when cueing the song.... DJ puts the pitch slider close to what it is on the opposite desk... a rudimentary task that can be saved by a simple v.DJ function.

I am not saying to replace Beatlock or Sync functions in v.DJ, simply add a function that just matches the Pitch slider. DJ still may have to tweak the position, but has saved some time.

What do you think ?

btw, I think Beatlock and Sync work very very well in v.DJ for beat-computation friendly tracks.

Posted Sun 07 Sep 03 @ 2:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)