Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: BEATSLICER FX

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Happy new year to everybody !

Here the description of my very first new FX for 2012 : BEATSLICER

Description:
Put the track in a pinball machine !

When engaged, a loop of 8 following beats is stored. You can skip between them as you want, choose to add a roll FX and size of roll, go back to the original track in the current position, and on and on...

8 buttons : to skip directly between the 8 beats of the loop > beat1 - beat2 - beat3 - beat4 - beat5 - beat5 - beat6 - beat7 - beat8

9th button : to go back to the track at the current position (loop of 8 beats is still kept)

1 Slider : Roll Size FX > 1/8 - 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 - 1/1
The roll FX concerns the 8 beats loop only

It works even if you stop the track

Practice and Enjoy!!

Posted Sun 01 Jan 12 @ 4:20 pm
The beatslicer app is awesome. I was wondering if you would be able to expand some of the features of this app. possibly add 16 instead of 8 slots. also extend the length of the beat. also make it so that the beat does not keep looping. if i click on the button can it only play the beat one time and not a constant loop? please let me know what you think?

russell

Posted Tue 15 May 12 @ 9:20 pm
expand some of the features of this app. possibly add 16 instead of 8 slots -> no because not enough buttons to juggle until 16 beats

make it so that the beat does not keep looping -> yes I have made a similar plugin with which you go back to the track (like slip functionality). Is it what you mean?

if i click on the button can it only play the beat one time and not a constant loop -> I don't understand. I wonder if your request does not correspond to the slip roll FX?

Posted Fri 25 May 12 @ 5:14 pm
to make it temporary you can use this in your mapping

"down ? effect 'beatslicer' button 1 1 : effect 'beatslicer' button 9 1"

button 9 makes the audio jump back to the full dry track.

Posted Fri 25 May 12 @ 5:35 pm
how would I map each individual beat roll to a pad? i.e. beat1 to pad1 beat2 to pad2 etc...

Posted Sun 26 Aug 12 @ 4:22 am
down ? effect 'beatslicer' button 1 1 : effect 'beatslicer' button 9 1
down ? effect 'beatslicer' button 2 1 : effect 'beatslicer' button 9 1
down ? effect 'beatslicer' button 3 1 : effect 'beatslicer' button 9 1
down ? effect 'beatslicer' button 4 1 : effect 'beatslicer' button 9 1
etc..

Posted Sun 26 Aug 12 @ 4:39 am
Thanks Synthet1c!

Posted Sun 26 Aug 12 @ 6:28 am
OK I used the above lines to trigger each of my 8 pads but it keeps only the same pattern samples for the initial triggers. Once the song moves on it does not update with each new set of samples. In the Itch software it auto updates as the song progresses. The only way to change this is to assign another button that turns Beatslicer off then back on to update to the current bar.

Any way to make the slicer auto update as the song progresses?

Oh and the song is continuing to play and does not fall back to the current point you was beatslicing at. How do I workaround these issues?

Posted Sat 13 Apr 13 @ 5:26 am
It can't update the new position of the song without deactivating and reactivating the effect

Posted Sat 13 Apr 13 @ 6:09 am
Yeah that's a shame. Also if you don't release the pad and hit another pad it cuts off. Ideally you press a pad the sample should just continue playing once you release the pads. This could be an awesome plugin but it is no good for me as it is. :(

Posted Sat 13 Apr 13 @ 6:16 am
OK I need some help here. I am experimenting with trying to get it to pause the track on the current beat you are beatslicing while the beatslicer effect is on. I have managed to figure out you can use goto commands to put you back on the beats like goto -1 on pad release. Which is fine if you only hold the pad for 1 beat. If you hold it for 2 beats or more the track will continue to slip.

Example

down ? effect 'beatslicer' button 1 1 & effect 'beatslicer' active while_pressed : effect 'beatslicer' button 9 1 & effect 'beatslicer' active while_pressed & goto -1

What I want it to do is hold the track on the current beat position being hit. I tried using the play_pause : play_stutter commands but this caused the track to not sit on the beat because it's near impossible to hit the pads and release them exactly in time to each beat. Thus you get creeping going on and it just jumps back to the point it was paused like on a half beat for instance.

There must be a way to script a hold for 1 beat?

EDIT: actually using goto_bar 1 works better than goto -1 as it goes to the correct beat start rather than jumping to 1 beat back which could be in the middle of a beat if you were not accurate on hitting the pad. It's OK if you are hitting on every beat but if you want to hold over for that fancy half beat stuff it won't work as nice as the track will then slip.

Posted Sat 18 May 13 @ 12:07 pm
I have encountered a bug with this:

If I activate the effect on a deck with no song loaded, the master audio stream gets corrupted and garbage starts coming out of the speakers until I restart VDJ. I would like to use this effect but can't really use it if it causes the software to become unstable if I press the wrong button... anyone else having this issue?

Posted Tue 17 Dec 13 @ 4:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)