Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Monitoring Midi communication

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys,

I got the following challenge. As can be read in this thread http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/157305/General_Discussion/VirtualDJ_LE_reading_out_fader_positions_and_VDJ_Pro_not____.html the VDJ LE version I got with my VCI-400 is newer than the current VDJ pro release and supports the controller better. In particular setting all the parameters/sliders/controls in VDJ to the exact position of the equivalents on the controller on boot.

I wanna find out the difference in midi communication on boot between VDJ LE and Pro in order to create an oninit statement in the mapper that will force this behaviour in the current version of VDJ pro.

Probably its a sys exclusive command that triggers the VCI to return data.

Is there any way to 'monitor or sniff' the communication between VDJ and the controller?

Posted Tue 06 Dec 11 @ 5:01 pm
Or its of course very much appreciated if any developer would like to disclose the initial communication :P

Thx ;)

Posted Tue 06 Dec 11 @ 5:02 pm
It should be a SYSEX command, and it should be documented on your controllers manual (at least thats the case with all controllers I ever come across).
If you still need a MIDI monitoring program, send me a PM

Posted Wed 07 Dec 11 @ 3:37 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It was already explained that this has been updated in the definition/mapping for PRO and will be handled in the next PRO release.

If you want to build from scratch the entire definition file then you are more than welcome to do that. This functionality can only be placed in the device definition with the proper SysEx message statement to handle the new functionality added to the VCI-400's firmware.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 11 @ 1:16 pm
Mm,

In my simplicity I would think its a matter of making a customer mapper to get the xml file and than adding the oninit statements for the initial communication and indeed just release that mapper.

Or... would that be much more work than that?

And shamefully the manual of the VCI only deals with standard midi definitions and no sysex.

Thx

Posted Fri 09 Dec 11 @ 1:32 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)