Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: for the milkdrop in you... - Page: 4

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Don't die just yet scott ! You would surely be missed.

When a 3rd monitor option would be used, there would be no need to participate in anything related to VDJ as far as the display goes. This is only intended as a special option.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 11:48 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I think I jinxed myself - just taken a massive slice out of my thumb!

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 1:48 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Think yourself lucky it was your thumb... it was your thumb wasn't it, now that would be unlucky, lol.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 2:17 pm
It's funny that this USB video card conversation has come up, I just ordered in a USB to HDMI unit for my laptop thinking I could use it as a HDMI out for an upcoming gig instead of my normal VGA. But when it arrived I tested it and not only did I learn that it isn't "Video Card" but it depends entirely on the video card in your system to perform. And having an older laptop there was no why this would work without lagging my VDJ. So returning it now.

I did a little research on it and it basically compresses video data through USB then decompresses it at the box, which is why it needs a 3.0 or higher in graphics for the windows rating in windows. Just a heads up for anyone who was thinking like I was to add HDMI output to an older laptop.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 2:21 pm
nate, you do need a faster machine for the USB to VGA/HDMI.

Anyone that wants to try it should keep the receipt for the USB device. I just went up to compUSA and bought one for $55 US. So easy to try and easy to take back.

All display output on your computer depends on your graphics card and the USB to VGA is definitely not another graphics card. The senario where you output to a 3rd monitor for example is not much different than mulitple plugins displaying their content. They all use the same display device and all take turns at displaying their content. But of course if you have a 2nd graphics adapter then that can be used to output to a 3rd monitor and then you have 2 graphics cards singing along.

The best option is to use another graphics card but this is not an option for most laptops. Probably the 2nd best option is going to be USB 3.0. Then USB 2.0 or whatever other interface you have on machine that can accomplish this.

With all that said, on my fast ATI machine, the USB device works perfectly with low CPU usage and USB 2.0 at 1920x1080 resolution. Everything in VDJ was normal.

With NVIDIA, everything was abnormal :) VDJ could just barely output a video from a deck but so slow it was not usable. No plugin would work. This is some problem with DirectX/NVIDIA when going to the USB port, but there are work arounds that will work and these work arounds are very effective.

A 3rd monitor option is a special use case and not intended for the VDJ primary display.

You will be able to try all this with Essential Karaoke soon. I have had to discover the problems and work arounds.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 2:57 pm
Don Moir wrote :
USB video can work well. It all depends.

Since there is more CPU usage, having a faster computer helps.

With ATI graphics, everything works as expected and quite well.

With NVIDIA graphics, DirectX may or may not work with USB. You have to do things differently here. VDJ's output has not worked with NVIDIA using standard DirectX procedures but this can be made to work. This is not a USB to VGA bug. This is a DirectX/NVIDIA bug.

From the video demonstrations I have seen using USB 3.0 to VGA, it looks very good. USB 3.0 is slowly making it's way onto some laptops.

While I promote the use of a 2nd graphics card for a 3rd monitor, for most laptops, this is not an option.

So ATI its better than Nvidia? ...(now he tells me....Lmfao).....(Hi Don....)
tayla wrote :
Think yourself lucky it was your thumb... it was your thumb wasn't it, now that would be unlucky, lol.

Scott! my God!!!....;-p

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 5:56 pm
Yea I didn't expect it to work as nice as it sounded. But working in a shop meant I could order it and if it wasn't what I needed we could resell it. I mean it worked and would be fine for most applications but not streaming live hd video through it. I also took this as a sign that its probably time to considering a new laptop as I'm pushing my 4 your old one to it's limits.

Time ot pop a hard drive in another laptop and load a basic install with VDJ for the gig.

Anyways sorry to go off topic... Can't wait to try this plugin out when it's ready :)

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 6:45 pm
tracker, not getting into saying ATI or NVIDIA is better... I like my NVIDIA even though it does YUV decompression slightly wrong (color is brighter than it supposed to be but that is mostly handled elsewhere correctly).

Just saying in this USB case there is a problem with DirectX / NVIDIA on the 2 NVIDIA cards Go 7400 and 310m... Generally this is just causing me more work... but they will not work in VDJ with a USB monitor when that is choosen as the display device for VDJ. Works fine now in EK but had to do some leg work on it.

In the ATI case tested on 2 different machines, there was no problem at all for USB to VGA even when choosen as the primary monitor for VDJ.

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 7:14 pm
Got cha...good to know...

Posted Wed 21 Dec 11 @ 7:52 pm
Let's go back to visuals... I'm in contact with SoundSpectrum's developers about their support for SoftSkies, WinterWonders and Aeon (promoted on George Michael's last tour) visualizers. G-Force and WhiteCaps are already available for VDJ users over *.svp (Sonique compatible) files. There you go...

http://i39.tinypic.com/ip1v86.jpg

Posted Thu 22 Dec 11 @ 5:06 am
Ivan? why change your forum name.

Posted Thu 22 Dec 11 @ 7:22 am
Oops... I would like to see my lawyer first...:-))) No more talking...

Posted Thu 22 Dec 11 @ 8:28 am
Hahaha... rofl

Posted Thu 22 Dec 11 @ 8:55 am
Merry Christmax MR."T"! and Happy Holidaysto ALL!!

Posted Sat 24 Dec 11 @ 9:46 pm
Hey there

I have been using Winamp/Milkdrop for quite some time. As we all know Winamp is NOT a DJ/VJ/KJ application. The main reason I have been using it is because of Milkdrop (2.x).

I have been developing software that works with the Microsoft Kinect. (I have been a programmer for 35+ years).

I figured out how to overlay my kinect effects on top of Milkdrop (see my web site [link removed], there's a video on my home page that shows one of my recent live shows).

So I have seen some postings regarding getting Milkdrop to work with VDJ.

How can I get my hands on that? I want to make the switch from Winamp to VDJ, and ideally I dont want to have to run Winamp at the same time, or on the same computer (even though I have a beefed up VJ system with a high end Nvidia card in it).

thanks
Johan

[Links to commercial websites and/or sites allowing 3rd party downloads are not permitted on the VirtualDJ forums. Please see the forum rules]

Posted Thu 29 Mar 12 @ 12:01 pm
The milkdrop plugin is under development and isn't available yet.

You will need to be a registered licensed user of the full VirtualDJ Professional to be able to download it when it's released: http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html

Posted Thu 29 Mar 12 @ 1:50 pm
"under Developtment"?....PLOS 1....Nice!

Posted Fri 30 Mar 12 @ 1:38 am
NRJEQHome userMember since 2013
Hey all, joined the forums primarily to inquire about the status of this plugin.

Oh, and my apologies for reviving a necroed post.. I'm just reeeeally interested in a projectM port for a vj/dj application and couldn't stop myself from doing so, esp considering how promising the previous posts in the thread make this look.

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Posted Fri 11 Jan 13 @ 10:10 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I have a working plugin for both PC and Mac. Having a slight issue with pthreads on some windows machines that I haven't been able to resolved yet.

Been talking with the projectm team too regarding some issues.

Posted Fri 11 Jan 13 @ 11:05 am
NRJEQHome userMember since 2013
Awesome!
I assume there will be some sort of official announcement when the project is completed?

Posted Fri 18 Jan 13 @ 6:36 am
32%