Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: skin resolution question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I Know for sure that you have to have a skin that matches youre screen resolution for vdj to run properly.
I have done this but my screen is a 1600x900,and skins are quite limited. After going through the forums, my question
is if it would continue to work well with my rmx if I use a 1440x900. There are plenty more skins I could choose from. If I
understood correctly as long as I dont maximize that skin I should be ok? I wouldnt mind not having a full vdj screen

Thanks in advance for any answer!

Posted Wed 28 Sep 11 @ 6:37 pm
Yes, as soon as you don't maximize your skin everything would work fine!!!

Posted Thu 29 Sep 11 @ 1:18 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Daniel,

If your favorite skin is in 1440x900 and your screen in 1600x900, you can use the Skin Resizer Tool to resize the skin with "Add borders" option.

This resizing option will only add black borders right and left, without changing anything else.

Skin Resizer download: http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/7187/Skin_Resizer_Tool.html

Posted Thu 29 Sep 11 @ 2:15 am
Thanks for the clarification guys....

Let me embarrass myself a little more. I actually have the tool downloaded but Im very computer illiterate. I tried using it a few times with no success. I dont know where to find the XML file. I think that is the location of the file in the database? One of those times I thought I had the xml but when I entered it the second time it still wouldnt work. When I click the little box to choose skin, it wont show any of my skins. I did try following wiki, but sometimes its like talking in a different language to me.
Thanks for hearing me out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

=Daniel

Posted Thu 29 Sep 11 @ 5:15 pm
Assuming that you are using Vista or Windows 7:
Click on the start icon
Click on Documents
Double click on the folder named "VirtualDj'
Double click on the folder named "Skins"

Inside this folder there should be a few compressed files (files with .zip extension)
These are your skins. Each skin consists from 2 files that are compressed together inside a .zip file

If you have a program like WinZip or WinRar to handle compressed files you can use it to decompress the file and see the files it consists of.
If you don't have a program installed you can still use windows (Vista and 7 only) native zip file support to decompress the file.
Just right click on the file and select "Extract"

When you decompress the skin file you should see AT LEAST TWO new files on your directory. These files have exactly the same name but different extensions. One is named CoolSkin.BMP and the other is named CoolSkin.XML

The second file is the XML file you are looking for.

PS: Depending on the skin file there might be more than two files. That's because users can pack several skins together in a compressed file.
A typical scenario in this case is when users create the same skin in several different resolutions.
In such a case you would see the following Example files:
CoolSkin 2 Decks (1440x900).bmp
CoolSkin 2 Decks (1440x900).xml
CoolSkin 4 Decks (1440x900).bmp
CoolSkin 4 Decks (1440x900).xml
CoolSkin 4 Decks (1920x1040).bmp
CoolSkin 4 Decks (1920x1040).xml

What you need to understand is that these files work in pairs, and not as a hole. In other words you can use only the PAIR of files you are interested to, and not all of them.

PS2: There are rare cases that instead of bmp files you would see PNG files. That's normal too. VirtualDj supports BOTH BMP and PNG files!

Posted Fri 30 Sep 11 @ 3:49 am
WOW!! Phantom..Thank you for all the great info!!
That was a lot to take in but I managed to figure it out, somehow.
I figured out how to resize it and everything, except for how to send the new skin to VDJ. A few trial and errors but somehow i managed.
Youre info was well put together and easy to understand, so anybody could understand.
Again thank you very much! I will send you a friend ADD since you obviously enjoy helping ppl.
=Daniel

Posted Sun 02 Oct 11 @ 1:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)