Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Full APC compatibility - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

It would be nice to see full APC [20] compatibility. Complete use of the led's is from what I understand, impossible at the moment. It's forcing me to use ableton to DJ where I would like to support vdj.

Thanks, dxb

Posted Sat 30 Jul 11 @ 10:04 pm
Forcing you?

It's your choice - nobody's making you do anything!

The APC20 is just a MIDI controller. You can use it with any software that supports MIDI control - including VDJ.

What the APC20 is not is a DJ controller! So expecting VDJ to support it natively is asking a bit much IMO.

They support DJ controllers - and other stuff is mappable.

For example I have some MIDI controllers that I use with Live (Ableton is the company, not the software) but I'm not complaining that they aren't listed in VDJ - because I know I can map them if I really wanted to use a non-DJ controller for DJing (which I don't!).

Posted Tue 02 Aug 11 @ 3:25 am
ToymaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all!

I personally think it is reasonable to ask for VDJ to increase compatibility with more devices and support that it would be appropriate for VDJ to develop the mapping for the APC20 since there are some issues all over the forums about users who would like to use their APC20 with VDJ as a controller or a midi hardware, depending on their actual setup. The APC20 is a great tool for any DJ that likes to have fun with effects and likes as well to work with a more "old school" type of mixer or controller.

I tested my APC20 with another DJing software and it was automatically recognized (and mapped by default) which I felt was great since I could use it "plug and play" if I wanted the settings to stay the same or modify it at my convenience. The major issue is on "how to work the LEDs which are one of the major benefits of the APC20 or APC40.

So I wish too VDJ would develop a compatibility file for APC20 users so we would have the leds working and could modify the mapping of the keys if necesseray in VDJ.

Thanks.
André

Posted Wed 14 Sep 11 @ 3:02 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Anyone can develop a mapping with full support including LEDs. It doesn't depend on Atomix doing it.

Posted Wed 14 Sep 11 @ 5:20 pm
It is so nice of you to reply SBDJ.
But why did you take some of your time to write that comment? Especially as a senior moderator.
It would have been nice of you to be part of the solution or bring something new to the subject.

We already know that anyone with that kind of capability can write a mapping or a definition file. And that VDJ develops mapping and definition files for DJ controllers, etc. (already mentioned by groovindj).

This said. I am very good in what I do. I am sure you are very good in what you do too. But for the rest, when I think my time can be used to bring in revenues, travel or enjoy life with my family, I prefer to hire ppl to do what they do best. I still think that there are some folks out there that would be happy to provide that kind of service for ppl like me in exchange of a contribution. However, if VDJ decides to develop compatibility files for some midi controllers, I have the courtesy to advise them that one for the APC20 would be appreciated and I fully support the request of DJ-EP-Worth on that matter.

Have a nice day and please spread the word that we need a definition and mapping for the APC20. If you know someone who can help us, tell them to contact me.

Thanks.
Andre

Posted Wed 14 Sep 11 @ 9:35 pm
If your not willing to do it why should anybody else that doesn't even have the controller, Unfortunately I dont think the apc is very good for djing as the pads are only made for triggering clips in ableton not for hitting cues on time, So if given the choice I would get the novation launch pad, which you guessed it is already mapped.

And It sounds like you are too good for learning the xml language which is really not that hard to understand, hell you can even use chackl's plugin to create a definition file without too much effort, but if your happy to pay I think rethink has a mapper for this or the apc40.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 11 @ 12:14 am
Hello,

This section's name is "Wishes and New features" and, for my understanding is not a place where people come to debate or spend time arguing on individual preferences on hardware but a place for users to voice what they would like to get in VDJ. There are many threads I read where ppl get involve in "virtual fights" and this is not my intent. Please read carefully what I am looking for and try to differentiate the "content of the message" from "your perception" of the "tone of the message". I am just telling what I wish VDJ ppl could do for me. It is a "down to top" communication process. In a different thread, I looked for ppl to help me with the problem I have. This is a "peer-to-peer" communication process, and I am still not looking for arguing situations... (especially about if I am too good for XML or other unrelevant and time topics if we look at the section's title and name of the thread).

I know all what you are saying about the best uses of the APC20, and I already mapped myself my RMX and my DENON6000 on my VDJ. I also worked with the Traktor S4 console mapping with a fellow DJ friend. So I understand the mapping in VDJ. The thing is that I am trying to use the APC20 only for effects, samples and to be able to have more cues to play with and have more fun. It works, I mapped it, but I cannot have the leds (3 colors) working perfectly. This cannot be done in VDJ and needs to be worked out directly in the definition file which I do not seem to be able to write because the only model I found is for the APC40 and, even if they look alike, they don't have the same hardware map.

I knew the APC20 was not mapped when I got it and I knew it would be a challenge. But I can still "WISH" on this forum.
If I don't get a solution, I will simply resell my APC20 and get the APC40 or another pad that would provide me with the Akai's possibilities. Problem with the novation launchpad is no knobs or faders which I need to control my effects individually for what I am looking for. But I take your recommendation in looking for a midi controller that is already supported by VDJ.

Anyways. It is my wish to have it working.
André

Posted Thu 15 Sep 11 @ 9:58 am
sorry for being a jerk... it happens sometimes, but I'm just trying to get across that you may be waiting a long time for someone else to do it, so you should try it yourself... anyway based on the apc40 definition file by "nici the kis" it looks like the colours are on hexadecimal channels and on and blink is controlled by the controller, more specificly the channel used...

to make a definition you need to find out what channel it is for the apc20, I recommend you get midi ox and see what actually triggers the leds then map that in a definition file. you should be able to copy the apc 40's but change the not where applicable.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 11 @ 10:29 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Toyma wrote :
But why did you take some of your time to write that comment? Especially as a senior moderator.

It is a statement of fact. My moderator status has absolutely nothing to do with it. As of v6 it is possible for anyone to add full support for any MIDI or HID controller with very few exceptions. You don't need VDJ to do it for you.

Toyma wrote :
It would have been nice of you to be part of the solution or bring something new to the subject.

I'll happily be part of the solution if someone is willing to supply me with the hardware and pay me for my time.

Toyma wrote :
This section's name is "Wishes and New features" and, for my understanding is not a place where people come to debate or spend time arguing on individual preferences on hardware but a place for users to voice what they would like to get in VDJ.

I wasn't aware you made the forum rules? Actually as far as I know it's a place to suggest and discuss those suggestions. People often suggest features, discussion ensues and their suggestions are revised or turn out to already be possible.

Toyma wrote :
This cannot be done in VDJ and needs to be worked out directly in the definition file which I do not seem to be able to write because the only model I found is for the APC40 and, even if they look alike, they don't have the same hardware map.

The point is that you can create the definition file yourself. Nothing needs to be done 'in' VDJ. You can of course request a particular controller be supported, but it would be more efficient to DIY.

Posted Thu 15 Sep 11 @ 1:05 pm
Thank you for your tips Synthet1c! I'll keep all that in mind!

Posted Thu 15 Sep 11 @ 1:16 pm
Thank you for your contribution SBDJ!
It helps alot and I am sure that other APC20 users in the same situation I am in will benefit from your advice and wisdom.
Have a nice weekend all.
André

Posted Thu 15 Sep 11 @ 1:20 pm
just finishing off the apc 40 with loaded effects and lights and instructions for changes as well as printable layout and effect mods.

Posted Fri 12 Oct 12 @ 2:30 am
now im just adjusting some of the effect dial amounts.. will post it all tommorow.. late night...

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 12:01 am
I need some help to finsh this off.. here is what Im having issues with.. all the buttons are now assigned and the dials too. this includes the faders and effect dials. the issue im trying to get fixed is in the led..

so far the script is

for the top left button
a1 button

effect select "laser ray"

Led red 1a Makes the effect blink red.
effect 'laser ray' active ? blink 400ms : off

Led green 1a makes the button blink to the beat of the song
deck effect active ? on 400ms : beatlock ? off : play ? Sync

led orange 1a I need to have this stay on when the music is not playing or when the button is not pressed.

I tried a lot of different things.. help would fantastic.. im trying to do it in the action learned.. its been intresting and cool.. thanks in advance.

Posted Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 6:58 pm
OK , NOW IM ADDING A SKIN THAT IS SPLITABLE FOR VERSION 8 WITH APC LAYOUT UNDER A CONTROLER. I tested everything and had all the buttons work.. now they have to aprove it then I will load the skin when its done.. script is done 100%

Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 @ 12:23 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
That is cool, I see some guys in here been asking for this, so you will have some fans when your done for this I'm sure...

Good Luck,

Joey...

Posted Tue 23 Oct 12 @ 7:58 am
cool , request was in here so thats why I did it.. it will not happen again but did you try it.. whoo hoooo... trashed the mix last night crowd went nuts... Now to find stickers that actually stick to the buttons..

Posted Fri 26 Oct 12 @ 5:19 pm
What you need is buttons with little LED screens on them!

Posted Mon 29 Oct 12 @ 6:20 am
lmao, you dont get that kind of stuff for 299.oo$. Led screen why not have them thermal so that they feel my finger heat.. or lazer .. so they can be controled like a lazer harp... with distance actuator...

Posted Tue 30 Oct 12 @ 11:10 pm

Posted Wed 07 Nov 12 @ 3:10 pm
80%