Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Using .m4a a good alternative to mp3?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I just read up on the .m4a format which seems to compress audio like mp3 but without losing it's original quality. I am still working on what format I am going to burn my CD's to, so I can use them on virtual dj with my mixdeck.

Before I was thinking of 320 bitrate with VBR using itunes as my library and audio converter. (I am on a Mac, although I can run a PC on it I am trying to stay native unless it would be more beneficial to change).

Does anyone have any experience with .m4a?

Also if there is a different mac program I should look into for converting audio my ears are open and any tips/advice is greatly appreciated... I am new to all this as the mixdeck is my first system so I am constantly researching and taking in as much as I can while trying to stay on a good path lol.

Thank you in advance

Posted Tue 05 Jul 11 @ 9:38 pm
I play 5 nights a week in large 3000 capacity clubs using vdj on my mac. Before that for the past 5 years i've used Traktor and before that Scratch Live.

My hard drive is full of m4a files which i download from sites like itunes and these work just as well as all the mp3 files i use that are from my promos from Ministry of Sound, Hed Kandi, AATW, Fatdrop etc, or sites like beatport, hmv digital.

My mp3s range from 192kbs (a tiny fraction) up to 320 and i've never had any sound quality issues at all.

Posted Thu 07 Jul 11 @ 7:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)