Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Question about Trace 2.0 Pro

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djrxmxPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I use three different skins and this is one of them. Visually, imo, I think Trace 2.0 Pro is the best one. (For example, last night I showed a few people at the bar where I spin music the Trace skin and the patrons were in awe.)

But the question that I have is their a possible bug in this latest version that will make Virtual DJ Pro 7.04 crash and suddenly stop working? I had that happen to me last night--thank god it was early in the evening--and I ended up fully rebooting my Windows PC. I also ended up using one of my other skins of preference, just to be on the safe side for the rest of last night.

Great skin, Trace 2.0 Pro, nonetheless. As I said, I think it has the best aesthetic presentation on my laptop screen compared to pretty much all the other skins.

Sorry to possibly sound too general regarding the issue I had last night. But maybe from some of your feedback I can narrow down the situation better so as to decipher what the actual issue was about.

Posted Sun 12 Jun 11 @ 2:30 pm
I have used trace a few times on a touchscreen and it's been fine. You need to note what you were doing at the time it crashed to narrow it down and make sure it is the skin and not something else.

Keith

Posted Sun 12 Jun 11 @ 4:25 pm
To the best of my recollection, I wasn't doing anything too aggressive, for a lack of better term. It was the first time Virtual DJ Pro 7.04 crashed at a gig, and it happened when I was using the skin, and it was the first time that I used the skin at a gig.

To reiterate on an important point. I am not implying that it was the skin that was the culprit in this situation. It's just possible from my experience of using Virtual DJ that it was the skin itself that caused some instability--it's just a guess at this point.

Posted Sun 12 Jun 11 @ 6:40 pm
这个看不到呀,

Posted Tue 14 Jun 11 @ 12:02 pm

Posted Tue 14 Jun 11 @ 12:17 pm
Well, first off thanks for the awesome feedback. I'm so happy you like my skin.

Second, with regards to your crash... I can't think of any coding issues in the skin that wouldn't be compatibile with the most recent incarnation of VDJ.

Things that will help me:

Were you playing a video or an mp3
did it happen while loading a song or in the middle of playing it
did you trigger an effect? sometimes some effect plug-ins will cause crashes

As much detail you can give me will help me to isolate your problem and hopefully fix the skin if needed.

Thanks again for the feedback

DjChuck
CBGraphix

Posted Tue 14 Jun 11 @ 11:48 pm
cbgraphix wrote :
...Were you playing a video or an mp3
did it happen while loading a song or in the middle of playing it
did you trigger an effect? sometimes some effect plug-ins will cause crashes

As I said. Trace Pro looks wonderful; love the visual presentation--it's so simple (this is good) and aesthetically stunning at the same time. Hope to use it again.

As far as other points:
I was playing MP3's only (so no videos). From what I recall it happened during playback of music, in the middle.
I think I was also running some effects near that time or it was in the middle of that time. My gut feeling is that, based on your point about effects, one of the triggered effects around the time of the crash might have been the issue. It wouldn't surprise me.
I also know that I was running one of my other favorite skins (i.e., CONDENSED--latest version) up until about 9:30pm, then I changed the skin to Trace 2.0. I would say that it was about 15 minutes later that the official crash took place.

I even got a crash error message from VDJ. (I should have taken a screenshot, but it might not have worked given the system froze eventually.) I recall that there was two buttons in the error message box that I could choose to depress; I clicked on a button that read something to the effect of "Recover". But what happened next that I recall is that VDJ rendered useless, sound then dropped out, and I went ahead and rebooted the system. (I felt like an idiot yelling out in the bar "Reboot! Reboot!"--why the hell I said that I don't know, pretty geeky if you ask me, looking back in hindsight.)

Thus far, until I can think of any other details, these were the events/sequences.

I also run Windows XP (All service packs and fully patched to date--runs very very stable. I mean I rarely ever get system instability. The laptop runs like a dreams and VDJ Pro has operated very well on the system, so no complaints for the most part.)

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 12:35 pm
This happens from time to time, I would say it was most likely not "skin" related since any errors on a skin usually pop up on load or when loading a song or "triggering" something. Best advice for the close or recover situation is to leave it be (will usually keep playing) load another instance of VDJ (just double click the shortcut icon again. Load your next song into the second instance... wait for the first one to either finish or crash then hit close. I've found that the recover button hardly ever does you any favors during a gig but the song loaded will almost always finish playing out as long as it isn't a memory crash causing the "fatal error" in the first place.

I would suggest torutre testing the skin before or after work and play the same set of songs again (you can find the tracklist in the "history folder) and see if the problem is duplicated.

My initial guess however would be that you might have a bad track or it was a memory glitch.

And of course don't forget the plugins

For instance ShowLogo (video plugin) is notorious... (for me anyways) for causing a crash under certain circumstances. Once you get a feel for what causes you grief and what doesn't it will give you a good idea of what to avoid using/doing.

DjChuck
CBGraphix

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 4:14 pm
cbgraphix wrote :
...I would suggest torutre testing the skin before or after work and play the same set of songs again...

What does "torutre testing" mean?

Posted Wed 15 Jun 11 @ 8:24 pm
sorry typo... torture testing

play the heck out of it using the most extreme circumstances you can imagine to see if it breaks down

Posted Thu 16 Jun 11 @ 1:43 pm
...You mean get that CPU under the hood hot, lol. That it will, he he.
Good point. I will do that. Will report back asap.
Thanks.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 11 @ 11:36 pm
And it has the infinitely useful cue crossfader, which I actually put on my main CF since I don't use it to mix. Now all we need is a way to have it mono-sum each cue channel to their respective side (optionally with push of a button/key, or permanently and I'll use a physical mono/stereo switch) and all will be complete. Not all of us have external mixers with us. I've had way way too many over the years, but none with me now. All are in storage. Well, I also wouldn't mind if the pitch sliders were visually reversed for us. That would be cool. I do the control aspect with a parameter, but it'd be nice if it visually matched what I'm doing. And finally...

TRON!

Posted Tue 19 Jul 11 @ 4:44 pm
Any way to reverse the pitch slider graphic?

Posted Sat 27 Aug 11 @ 9:18 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)