Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: 4 Deck Skin (1&2 L 3&4 R)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

JOCOO26PRO InfinityMember since 2007
I need to know if there is a 4-deck skin which has channels 1&2 on the left side and channels 3&4 on the right. I have the MC-6000 and this is how the channels are on the unit. Im getting confused when using the crossfader because channel 2 and 3 are opposite. Why are all the skins created with 1 and 3 on the left? Is there any way to change this? Reassign? Anything I can do? Someone please explain. Thanks

Posted Sun 22 May 11 @ 10:49 am
Think of it like this, your first 2 fader 1&2 control the top two decks and the 3&4 faders control the bottom two.

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 4:45 pm
Yes, I understand what controls what. But it doesnt make any sense to me to have the crossfader to the right for channel 2, when on the unit channel 2 is to the left of the crossfader. Why would anyone who owns a MC-6000 want a skin with 1 & 3 on the left? My question still remains. Is there a VDJ 4-deck skin out there that has channels 1 & 2 on the left? Is there any sort of mapping or ANYTHING that will solve this issue??

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 4:51 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 8:15 pm
Why couldnt it be mapped? From what I can tell, there used to be a skin like this. Check this out http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/12770/DN-MC6000_Enhanced_(3-1L-R2-4).html
He says "Here is the Virtual DJ Skin Set to setup the DN-MC6000 in the (3 - 1L | R2 - 4) channel configuration as opposed to the default (1 - 2L | R3 - 4) configuation. You will need the matching controller MAPPER for this to work properly."
Where is the default?? It wasn't default for me! So it must exist somewhere. What Im confused about is why anybody with a MC-6000 would create or want this since this is not how the MC-6000 is layed out. But whatever, to each their own. Somebody just please find me this "DEFAULT" layout!!!

PS. Is that skin you linked even available for download??

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 8:35 pm
why don't you just change the controller mapping to this

channel 1 - channel 2 - channel 3 - channel 4 (mixer channels)
..deck 3...-...deck 1...-...deck 2...-....deck 4....(vdj decks)
bottom....-....top.......-....top......-...bottom....(vdj deck alignment on skin)

The reason it is set up this way is back when vinyl was king, turntables took pride of place in the middle of the mixer, and cdj's were off to the side, maybe i'm old school, but it makes sense to me.

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 8:53 pm
I agree...thats the sole reason...

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 9:12 pm
You agree with what? What does this have to do with old school anything? The unit and skins are like 6 months old!!

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 9:14 pm
Re: mapping - But is this going to change deck placement on the skin?? When I look at the 4-deck VDJ skin, I want to see deck 1 on top left and deck 2 underneath it, deck 3 on top right, and 4 underneath it. How will mapping help that?

It won't, but it will change it to the most coherent layout... If you really want to do it on the skin, you need to change the skin xml file, the quickest way would be to make 4 copies of the xml, and use find and rename to change the deck assignments and paste the file back together with the right assignments. Just remember to make sure nb decks is 4 under the header after you edit it.

Im not sure this will work but its worth a try if you want it that bad

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 9:32 pm
OK, honestly, I would have a better chance of understanding Klingon than what you just said. It sounds like that would solve my problem. Anyone with experience in this care to edit a skin for me?? I would be forever in debt. Please help.

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 9:40 pm
1/2 on one side doesnt even make sense. You crossfade from 1 to 2, you know left/right.

Good Luck bro, it'd save you all kinds of problems just to switch the mapping of the controller
Huey

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 9:56 pm
Doesnt make sense?!?! I'm starting to wonder if my MC-6000 looks the same as everyone elses. Before responding to this thread and telling me this doesnt make sense, LOOK AT YOUR UNIT. Channels 1 and 2 are on the left side of the crossfader and channels 3 and 4 are on the right side. Now look at your screen...it's different. WOW, I'm not crazy after all. And why MUST you crossfade from 1 to 2? What difference does it make what the decks are called? Crossfade from 1 to G7, who cares, whats the difference? As long as the layout is the same. All I am asking for is a skin to match my unit..why is this SO complicated?!?!

PS. If you dont own a MC- 6000 then you probably have NO idea what I am talking about

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 10:01 pm
open the skin xml file, it will be inside a zip folder in the skins folder of VDJ, then you will know what I mean, or check the wiki's to see how skin files are written

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 10:08 pm
you can put the controllers on the skin wherever you want them to be... aside from changing any graphical representation in the BMP file that refers to a deck number on the skin, just edit the XML file for the skin you want to use and change anything that says deck="3" to deck="2" or if the code looks like this :<button action="deck 3 play_stutter" change the deck=3 to deck=2 and do the same thing for any references to deck="3" (change to deck="2")

it's pretty simple. I suggest using notepad (windows) and use the "find" feature under edit.

The only thing you have to watch for is any references that aren't "player" specific references. Like video previews or volume, pitch or eq references that aren't "on deck" on the skin.

DjChuck

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 10:19 pm
JOCOO26 wrote :
why is this SO complicated?!?!

I dont know...........why cant you figure it out??

Good Luck Bro
Huey

Posted Mon 23 May 11 @ 10:24 pm
The layout of the software and the way the 4 deck controllers control the software is correct, I understand what your saying as to how you would like it and why you would like it like that but I would try to adopt the way that it is as it's proper.

Posted Tue 24 May 11 @ 6:00 am
cbgraphix wrote :
aside from changing any graphical representation in the BMP file that refers to a deck number on the skin

Why can't that also be changed? So I would be able to change all the controls between decks 2 and 3, but the numbers "2" and "3" would still stay where they are?? That doesnt make sense either. If someone created it, someone can edit, or re-create it.

Posted Tue 24 May 11 @ 7:24 pm
It can all be changed if you want it too. Its not as easy as you may think but it can be done. Download the http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/5990/VDJ_Skin_Creator_Tool.html and give it a go. Im sure if you run into problems someone may help you......

JOCOO26 wrote :
but the numbers "2" and "3" would still stay where they are?? That doesnt make sense either. If someone created it, someone can edit, or re-create it.

A skin is 2 parts, the xml (commands) and the bitmap (the picture, the part you see) So if you only change the xml it wont match what the bitmap says which is why youd have to switch both, make sense??

Huey

Posted Tue 24 May 11 @ 7:30 pm
This is my last attempt... Watch this video, there is no sound but it will show you what is involved in making a skin for vdj. It's probably better to watch on youtube so you can have it full screen. Hopefully you will see the relationship between the picture and the text (xml), If you still don't understand how it works, open both files of a skin and you will hopefully be able to piece it together.

Finally you can change what the skins look like visually using photoshop or even paint, but you need to bare in mind that if the location on the image changes, so must the x,y co-ordinates within the xml.

Posted Tue 24 May 11 @ 11:11 pm
Torq 2.0.3 only costs $50 and does this by default correctly from day one ;-P I own it, too, and the only reason I use VDJ is because it sounds better than Torq to me. But seriously, though, you can make your own skin to do this. There are also several available with a better layout.

Posted Fri 15 Jun 12 @ 9:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)