Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: [NEW] Pangolin : Flash player plugin for Virtual DJ - Page: 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Don Moir wrote :
VIP, I will let Williiam address the issue with images being sent. I know it has been rather back and forth with this. Obviously you need to screen the images before they are displayed.

How much do you actually use twitter for display purposes ? This is another issue we have debated. With Essential Visuals, this could be added as a panel type. For Essential Flash, I have a very simple example that just uses my twitter account for test purposes. I know you don't want to access my twitter account. It's just a test case which I will improve this if there is a demand.

You can download the test twitter swf here:

http://sms.pangolin.com/samples/Twitter.zip

We love to hear your comments. It gives us a feel for what features you feel are important.

Thanks for the reply....

Yes bluetooth images would need to be vetted and also you would need to have a way of rotating them as customers send there pictures in all sorts of angles...lol

The twitter would need to be a panel in essential visuals with a config file for each twitter account.

Rahter than take space up here I am more than happy to help/test. If you would drop me a pm with your details I will contact you directly.

Many thanks,

Mark (VIP disco and Karaoke)

Posted Sun 24 Apr 11 @ 5:29 am
Hi Mark,

Within the book "Predictably Irrational", author Dan Ariely explains "herd mentality". The idea is that one person does something, and then others "line up behind them" thinking that the first person must be correct.

Pangolin has been serving the text messaging industry for around ten years. This is around seven to eight years longer than most other companies who are now doing this. Since we were the first, we implemented features that we believed would benefit users. But since that time, we have observed what features are actually being used, and how they are being used in real life. We have discovered that some of the features we implemented were really not very useful.

HOWEVER (and here comes the fun part), we notice that some of the newer companies who are coming into this field lately, are basically following in our footsteps. We believe they take a look at our feature set, and most probably also purchase a copy of our software, and then merely copy what we have done (and even our terminology), believing that we must be right. After all, we were the first, and we appear to be successful at this...

As a result of observing this phenomenon, I developed a saying of my own. My saying is that "you know you are being copied by competitors when they implement even your bad ideas"... And when I say "bad ideas" I mean things that -- given hindsight, you would have done differently, or flat out not done at all.

My point in writing this plays along with what Don wrote. It's not clear to us at Pangolin that bluetooth pictures is really all that great of an idea. I can say the very same thing about Twitter. In fact, we implemented Twitter -- in-house -- before anyone else did. But we were not convinced that it was a good enough feature to actually release to the public. And frankly, Pangolin is a very conservative company and we don’t want to be sued. I think that if you read the "terms of service" for Twitter, you might be surprised at what you can and can not do with it!

Since we try to follow the advice of Dan Ariely and really question every action, instead of simply following in the footsteps of others (or even our own footsteps), we'd really want to examine the true benefits to users for all features. If there are true benefits, then I hope it is obvious that we can implement these things. After all, Pangolin was also the very first company (and as far as I know still the only) to offer true MMS picture messaging received by a modem. However, even for MMS, if I am being 10000% honest, I'm not even sure that this is all that useful in real life. Sure, it sounds like a cool feature that we can place on a list. But as a company, we're a whole lot less interested in providing a long list of "features", and more interested in providing tools that are easy-to-use, work well, and are trouble free.

In any event, I'd be happy to engage you or anyone else in a private discussion about the benefits of these ideas, as well as other ideas, and I encourage you and everyone else to contact us directly.

The best way to reach us is to use our contact form at www.pangolin.com/contact

Best regards,

William Benner

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 1:57 am
PangolinPlugins wrote :
HOWEVER (and here comes the fun part), we notice that some of the newer companies who are coming into this field lately, are basically following in our footsteps. We believe they take a look at our feature set, and most probably also purchase a copy of our software, and then merely copy what we have done (and even our terminology), believing that we must be right. After all, we were the first, and we appear to be successful at this...

As a result of observing this phenomenon, I developed a saying of my own. My saying is that "you know you are being copied by competitors when they implement even your bad ideas"... And when I say "bad ideas" I mean things that -- given hindsight, you would have done differently, or flat out not done at all.

Not sure it's the right place to write this... Maybe it's time to stop with such comments and insist on the product itself.

Posted Mon 25 Apr 11 @ 3:33 pm
William,

It's all about listening to customer's suggestions and acting on the important ones, and also seeing why the competition is maybe outselling your product. You make think your product is the best thing in the world, but until you work at another company you may realise how wrong you were.

It's very very easy to wrap yourself round a "protective bubble"

I personally keep an open mind and the amount of words you are using seems to me that you are trying to sell the company and product by words alone.

We have a saying "Actions speak louder than words"

Like I said I admire the interface but it lacks other features that competitors are offereing and at a $1 more.

I wish you well.

Thank you.

Posted Tue 26 Apr 11 @ 3:20 am
VIP, we are listening and much appreciate suggestions.

I am interested in knowing how often you and others actually use or would like to use twitter for actual display and a general ball park figure on how often DJ's have an internet connection when they are performing.

Also, any feature you feel is important. Every reasonable suggestion is considered.

Thanks,

Don

Posted Tue 26 Apr 11 @ 11:53 am
That's what I'm wondering, how do you use Twitter with a plugin like this?? I just can't see a use for it but thats me. Most of the shows I do people want to see the video not a bunch of stuff scrolling through the video but I'm always open to ideas.

Huey

Posted Tue 26 Apr 11 @ 12:03 pm
@Don, is there a way I can control the "ALPHA" slider via VDJ script? Like "video_fx_slider 1". That way I can fade out of the effect cause when you deactivate its just so sudden.

Thnaks for the time and a great plug-in
Huey

Posted Wed 27 Apr 11 @ 11:02 pm
Also pick which box to display like, "video_fx_select "EssentialFlash" & video_fx_button 5 & video_fx", that way I can map my keyboard or midi controller.

Thanks for the time
Huey

Posted Thu 28 Apr 11 @ 12:45 am
A while back I asked if "sync" could be added to the list of options in each box. Well I'm getting better at makin these flash videos and I would like to add sound to them. If I had a sync option I could use this plugin as a video sampler aswell, which would be badass in my opinion. Not sayin that this plugin isn't badass anyways, lol!

Just kicking ideas around
Huey

Posted Fri 29 Apr 11 @ 9:14 am
Don Moir wrote :
VIP, we are listening and much appreciate suggestions.

I am interested in knowing how often you and others actually use or would like to use twitter for actual display and a general ball park figure on how often DJ's have an internet connection when they are performing.

Also, any feature you feel is important. Every reasonable suggestion is considered.

Thanks,

Don

Don, I am being totally honest the twitter is not a party stopper.

What is a party stopper is that the Iphone bluetooth capabilities are next to useless because of Apple's restrictive use of the bluetooth stack.

Because of this the iphone is not capable of sending bluetooth pictures.

Now if there was a way of getting images from an iphone to the text-2-screen software with a mimimum of fuss (without using the bluetooth) that would be a winner!

Posted Mon 02 May 11 @ 2:54 pm
Hang in there Huey and keep on kickin !

I am in the process of getting EF version 1.01 ready and then I will be able to address your suggestions better.

Posted Mon 02 May 11 @ 10:00 pm
Hey
i was just curious how much the upgrade to vdj pro is from the vdj le that came with the numark mixtrak pro

sincerely steeezzyyy m********** P

Posted Tue 24 May 11 @ 6:49 pm
Try to refrain from using profanity please........anyways click on this link, http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html then enter the serial number that came with the unit and it'll give you exact price.

Hope to see you as a pro user soon
Huey

Posted Tue 24 May 11 @ 7:13 pm
vjnoneHome userMember since 2012

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 5:07 pm
Originally you were able to do that but I had to pull it for some technical reasons. I have been trying to get back to it but have been to busy.

It's on the todo list though.

You can do this with XML files though now.

Here's a simple example that I believe Walter gave to me awhile back.

http://sms.pangolin.com/temp/example.zip

You can edit the text in the xml file.

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 5:38 pm
vjnoneHome userMember since 2012
Thanks, I already did it with some other example. Another thing, maybe it would be fun to use audio responsive flash files, I did few of them to work with Arkaos, but I'm not sure how to force them to listen to sounds from VDJ decks. You can find some of those here:

http://mattbeghin.net/?p=64

They work OK in Arkaos, but acting pretty dumb in VDJ. Could you post an example or flash template listening to VDJ sound, so it could be used for further development?

Posted Mon 19 Mar 12 @ 11:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)