Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: [NEW] Pangolin : Flash player plugin for Virtual DJ - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

djdad wrote :
I expect a 2 digit price and free upgrades.

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your input. Regarding the free upgrades, I assume you mean free upDATES -- meaning, bug fixes and new additions within a particular product family. Within our vernacular, and upGRADE is a pathway to a completely different product family.

For what it's worth, Pangolin has been in business for more than 25 years, and we have never charged for software upDATEs. Compare that with some companies who routinely reach their hand out for more money, any time there is a new software version.

At Pangolin, "free updates" is more than just a slogan. It's something we're well known for, and something that we have done for more than a decade on one of our product families alone, so we have history and credibility behind this statement.

Regarding the price, well, I am happy to hear that we are getting warmer. OK, now we know that the price has two digits ;-)

But let me rephrase my question yet one more time:
>>Regarding the cost, we are still debating that internally, but we are curious to hear what you and other Virtual DJ users believe it is worth. <<

Perhaps after a few more forum posts, we'll know the value of one of the digits ;-)

Best regards,

William Benner

Posted Wed 23 Mar 11 @ 4:42 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Count on me as a buyer. I hope we will hear news from you soon, about the release date.
Great Product. Congrats.

I understand the difference between update and upgrade. Free upgrade is the one i hope if possible. You see VirtualDJ has been so kind to all users all those years, and somehow we are spoiled :D

Posted Wed 23 Mar 11 @ 9:09 am
How do yOu create a flash video with a transparent background??

Huey

Many flashes that are on the net or ones that you create are transparent by default.
The transparancy can be seen if you for example load it in a program like this.

Transparancy isn't always black, adobe flash allows you to select a colour for the background (even if it's transparent)

*edit*
oh I read flash video now (meaning .flv) , my apologies I thought you were refering to .swf :)
*edit*

Posted Wed 23 Mar 11 @ 11:14 am
Day late dollar short bro, lol! I got it now.

Thanks though
Huey

Posted Wed 23 Mar 11 @ 11:17 am
Tried the plugin.
It's AWSOME!
So just to check about it's CPU usage I opened my resource manager and checked, the usage was extremely low.

It's great to use and the interface simple and clean and if you want some extra effect, you can always combine it with other plugins available. :)

Great job Pangolin!
I've never seen any dissapointing quality after the complete laps of 25 years as of yet.
I would also like to mention to people who are really new to pangolin, or hear it for the first time. Their support service is the fastest and best I have ever seen.

whatever the value will become, it is certainly something to lookout for when it becomes available for purchase.

Posted Wed 23 Mar 11 @ 11:28 am
Hi, I downloaded the demo plugin, and it really is good. I honestly can't work out how much it's "worth" though, since that's the question you're asking.

I'm glad we're talking 2 figures. Virtual DJ costs $300 for the program, so I think $99 would be a bit steep (it doesn't do a third of what vdj is capable of) but equally you would need a hell of a lot of buyers to make it profitable if it was $20. I think something around $50-$60 might be reasonable- maybe up to $70, but I don't think I'd pay much more than that.

Maybe that will start the ball rolling to work out a price- I found it very frustrating going on to the website and searching for ages to try and find a price or an online shopping option and then realising that there wasn't one... Until I found this thread anyway.

Posted Sun 27 Mar 11 @ 4:27 am
JynxxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
andytaylor125 wrote :
I'm glad we're talking 2 figures. Virtual DJ costs $300 for the program, so I think $99 would be a bit steep (it doesn't do a third of what vdj is capable of) but equally you would need a hell of a lot of buyers to make it profitable if it was $20. I think something around $50-$60 might be reasonable- maybe up to $70, but I don't think I'd pay much more than that.

Umm... hi there guys! Let me weigh in on this one quick. I wasn't going to, until I saw the above post.

I honestly think that even $50 is ridiculous to pay for a plugin, much less $70. Yes, VDJ costs about $300, and at $70 you are essentially paying 25% of the original program. For a plugin? I mean it's a great plugin, but (no disrespect intended to the developers!) I don't think it's worth THAT kind of money.

I could be looking at this from the wrong perspective though. I have been a DJ for just over 20 years, and while I have made videos for other DJ's as a professional Remixer, I am just now starting to get into video mixing myself. So I may be looking at this from the perspective of someone that thinks the plugin is a great feature add-on, and not someone who has been waiting and waiting for VDJ to add Flash support. You know what I mean? For example... DJ BooBooHead may use videos for 90% of his set, and would pay any amount of money to get Flash support, while DJ BarfMouth only plays videos once in a while, and while Flash support would be useful, its not something that he HAS to have.

I am of the latter category. I would definitely pay for this product, no question. But I can't justify paying that kind of money for something that is essentially an add-on feature of the main program I use. I hope you guys understand where I am coming from and see that I mean absolutely no disrespect at all, and am not saying that your program is not worth that.... just that it isn't worth that amount of money to *me* personally.

Posted Sun 27 Mar 11 @ 4:30 pm
Jynxx, what plugins do you actually use and do they do the job completely for you ?

Flash may not be for you, but there are a great number of plugins we could do all in very high quality. It depends on the acceptance of 'pay for plugin'. While you can do some plugins and pass them out for free, the higher the quality the more time it takes and the most costly they are to develop. VDJ does support payment based on download rate but in general this cannot cover the cost of a high quality plugin.

So there you have it. If you are happy with what you have then thats what matters in the end.

We are looking at uping the ante in terms of quality for plugins but it all depends on the community here.

Don

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 9:55 am
Sorry I meant to ask the question to Jynxx and not andy. My time ran out for me to edit the post.

Posted Mon 28 Mar 11 @ 11:06 am
Jynxx wrote :
andytaylor125 wrote :

Umm... hi there guys! Let me weigh in on this one quick. I wasn't going to, until I saw the above post.

I honestly think that even $50 is ridiculous to pay for a plugin, much less $70. Yes, VDJ costs about $300, and at $70 you are essentially paying 25% of the original program. For a plugin? I mean it's a great plugin, but (no disrespect intended to the developers!) I don't think it's worth THAT kind of money.

Couldnt have said it better

Posted Tue 29 Mar 11 @ 7:28 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Don Moir wrote :
Sorry I meant to ask the question to Jynxx and not andy. My time ran out for me to edit the post.

I fixed it for you :)

This discussion is a prime example to me of why I've throttled back on the plugin development front a bit.

To my mind the cost of a commercial plugin should be completely independent of the original software - it's more about what that plugin does, and what it can do for you. If it allows you to upsell an additional feature to your customers then $50 (£30) is nothing to pay IMHO.

When I had a full-time day job I wasn't concerned with spending masses of time developing for the community - I had a decent income, spare time and thus wasn't worried about it. Now I'm only working as a DJ after giving up my day job for my son, time and financials are more of a concern.

Posted Wed 30 Mar 11 @ 11:40 am
Thank You SBDJ,

While I only started posting recently on the forums, I have been following the forums for about a year now and I feel like I know some of you. I wish the best for you and your family.

You reflect our exact feelings on the plugins as well and this I could not have said better :)

Don

Posted Wed 30 Mar 11 @ 12:53 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
This thread has reminded me, I need to drop you guys a line about an issue I'm having with something else. Been rushed off my feet, in and out of hospital and not had a chance to sort it out yet!

Posted Wed 30 Mar 11 @ 2:38 pm
Hiya, great plugin and very customisable.

Will you be offering the Virtual DJ community any discount to tempt them away from their current SMS to Screen software?

Thought I'd ask. :)

Thank you.

Posted Wed 20 Apr 11 @ 4:34 am
VIP DISCO & KARAOKE wrote :
Hiya, great plugin and very customisable.

Will you be offering the Virtual DJ community any discount to tempt them away from their current SMS to Screen software?

Thought I'd ask. :)

Thank you.

Your question caught us a bit off guard, since this particular thread is about the Essential FLASH plug-in, not the text-messaging plugin.

Nevertheless, we feel that, with the price set at less than $250 for both the SMS software and the Virtual DJ plug-in, this is already the lowest priced product on the market as far as we know. And, at this price, we're not skimping on features either! With the combination of IMU and the Essential Visuals plug-in, you get:

* Two-way text messaging (i.e. club-goer can send a message to the DJ, and you can reply directly to them)
* Text-to-screen with, as far as we know, more options than any other provider
* SMS Voting right within Virtual DJ -- again, with more options than any other provider
* Bulk text messaging
* Automated responses in the form of a welcome message sent out the first time someone sends you a message, as well as every time they send you a message, or selectively, depending on the content of the message
* Ability to do text-to-win type campaigns
* Virtually unlimited number of messages and users in the database
* Multiple "profiles" so you can keep a separate database, word filter settings, etc. at each club or for each night
* Support for SMS, EMS, Nokia Smart Messaging and WAP Push messages
* Do scrolling text, non-moving text, pictures of any size (including animated GIF), borders, all with a quality level not seen with other products
* Plus a whole lot more I am sure I am not thinking about right now

(Note that some companies ham-up the features when they discuss them, and call one feature three separate things. Because of this, our list above may seem short. Use your imagination and you can see how each feature can be used in several ways.)

Really what we are offering is a smokin' hot deal compared to what you have to pay!

So, actually, as I am writing this, it occurs to me that, in essence, the answer to your question is YES!! This is already a huge discount in price -- both a discount in terms of what we have classically been charging for the past 10 years, and a discount on what others want to charge you too.

Great question!

Best regards,

William Benner

Posted Wed 20 Apr 11 @ 10:41 pm
Thanks William,

Great answer....

sorry to catch you on the hop.

I understand your marketing message - but I am going to be brutally honest - I love the "sexy" interface, but apart from that the core functionality is the same as the product as I am currently using.

And your product is only 1$ cheaper than the one I currently have.

So that only leaves a financial incentive to make me change product.

So currently unless I am missing something I will stay with the software I have.

No offence, but I will keep checking back from time to time.

Thank you.

Posted Thu 21 Apr 11 @ 2:11 pm
Hi,

I definitely don't take offense to your post, and I thank you very much for your feedback!

However, I'm not sure that ours is only $1 cheaper. Does yours do all that ours does at a cost of only $1 more? I am not aware that there is another product that does what ours does, as well as ours does it, regardless of the price...

In any event, even if we dropped our price to $1, or even free, why change at all? My point is -- if you already have a solution that you are happy with, then price should not be an incentive to change. (As an aside, sometimes I tell people that I have the same house, the same car, the same wife, the same accountant, etc. As for myself, when I get something working, I stick with it...)

I mentioned this a few months ago in the forums, but for the past ten years, Pangolin has concentrated on systems mostly for the very high end clients, such as 20th Century Fox, Dreamworks Pictures, Comcast, InHD networks, Brittany Spears, etc. It was when our phones started ringing off the hook with support phone calls -- not for a product that we make, but for COMPETITORS' PRODUCTS, that alerted us that there was a market for our systems in the DJ land. It's not unusual for people to call here at midnight, frustrated, and looking for an alternative to the competitors' products. So we spent a year developing the Virtual DJ plug-in, and also changed our product a bit to offer the Essentials version at a combined unbeatable price.

I guess my point is -- if you're like the folks who call Pangolin at midnight because you're frustrated with your current solution, then we have a very compelling reason for you to change. But if you are perfectly happy with what you have now, then even dropping our price to zero should not be an adequet reason to change. Know what I mean?

In any event, people seem to be responding quite favorably to our new IMU Essentials along with the Essential Visuals plug-in. It seems like we have a very compelling product and price-point. If you're looking for a reason to switch, I think there are many other reasons than price.

Best regards,

William Benner

Posted Fri 22 Apr 11 @ 12:10 am
Sorry for the additional post, I tried to edit my post above and this forum wound up making a new one... ;-)

Posted Fri 22 Apr 11 @ 12:11 am
William,

all noted.....

Looking at a like for like basis with IWALL I cannot see if your software has the ability to receive and display bluetooth images sent from a mobile phone or if you can interface with twitter?

Can you please clarify this?

Thank you.

Posted Sat 23 Apr 11 @ 4:17 am
VIP, I will let Williiam address the issue with images being sent. I know it has been rather back and forth with this. Obviously you need to screen the images before they are displayed.

How much do you actually use twitter for display purposes ? This is another issue we have debated. With Essential Visuals, this could be added as a panel type. For Essential Flash, I have a very simple example that just uses my twitter account for test purposes. I know you don't want to access my twitter account. It's just a test case which I will improve this if there is a demand.

You can download the test twitter swf here:

http://sms.pangolin.com/samples/Twitter.zip

We love to hear your comments. It gives us a feel for what features you feel are important.

Posted Sat 23 Apr 11 @ 2:09 pm
79%