Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: iControl - Controller skin for iPad

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi all,

so I got one of those iPad thingy's and after playing around with various skins, I thought what about using the iPad just as a controller...The result is 'iControl'.

It was designed to be a companion skin to Beatbreakers 'BareBones' skin - which provides the information, whilst iControl gives you the control. This is a version 1 skin (basically, it gives me the controls I want), so I am sure that others will want additional controls and I can see no reason why others wouldn't want to create 'Controller' skins for the iPad - imagine an RMX iPad skin, etc, etc.

I'm posting the design here, before I submit the skin - no point submitting if most people think it's pointless!

Short video...

Cheers

Simon

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 8:11 am
Another very short video of the iPad connected to my Netbook...

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 9:30 am
I've now submitted the skin...

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 10:08 am
I like it Simon.

I must ask on your loop buttons, did you place the text with the button element or did you nest the next inside of a button like I did on my night ops iphone skin?

I ask because I have created an iPad skin but I don't have an iPad and I want to know if my loop buttons will work properly.

BTW you make the skin that much cooler with a british accent! LOL

Cheers

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 11:02 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Hi Simon,

a few comments if i may,

Since you decided to make an iPad skin to work with a certain skin, this means that the iPad will be near the laptop, so you dont need navigations buttons, load buttons, Tracks and Folders.

Instead of them you could add some Fx, sampler, pitch etc.

Move the loopnumber textzone from the loop button. The loop doesnt work if by accident you hit the textzone.

Keep up

Bob

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 11:11 am
gullumPRO InfinityMember since 2007
In my iPad skins I have made the loop button extra large because you then can press ether side of the text the button is 100 pix larger then the textzone and there is an other problem with using text instead of images when using in or out the text will display <->, I've found that this also happens on the computer version of VDJ.

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 12:14 pm
@ cb...Yeah the loop id is a nested textzone...but as Bob says (and it was bugging me)...if you nest the textzone, it causes issues with the button...

A redesign of that is in order...

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 3:55 pm
@ djdad...the reason I included the nav buttons was that it was designed to replicate a controller (such as DJ Steel, etc) in its operation, and as these controls are on controllers, I thought it logical to include them on the skin.

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 3:57 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Simon,

If you had more space or smaller buttons, you could do a lot of things. But creating a skin using such a small available space like an iPad, you have to start with the essentials. And pitch slider or pitch bend are, among others. Sync doesnt do its job always !

There 2 different ways of using an ipad (in my opinion). One is to remotely control the software from a distance, so you need any possible information and buttons, and two, they way you create it (or my iPadDeck) to make an iPad work as a controller, meaning that your laptop is there, with all the nav buttons, load and other stuff...

Anyway, just thinking loudly, i guess.
Dont get me wrong, i just state some thoughts, thats all.

Bob

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 4:11 pm
Bob...the + and - buttons either side of the sync button are pitch bend.

Posted Thu 03 Mar 11 @ 6:17 pm
Just approved is the iControl - Laptop skin. It is a companion skin to the iControl - iPad skin and is designed to offer just the basics.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 4:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)