Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Do I want a DAC-2 (or 3) - Or should I stick with the Hercules ? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi Folks -

After a succesful 'gig' with Virtual DJ (latest version 3 - with the hercules),

I now want to make a more 'permanent' setup. (Build a box).

I really like the look of DJ Cyders setup in his blog. (Especially the slide-away monitor setup)

I have a 19" rackmount PC myself, and a 19" external mixer.

But the hercules is not really 'rackmountable'

I was wondering if i can use the dac2 instead of the hercules (I realize its not a soundcard, but I have another one of those.)

A couple of questions -

Do the job wheels on the dac2 work the same as the hercules? (ie. can i switch them between pitchbend and scratch?)

I should probably at this point explain what I use VDJ for - its for Discos, Karaokes and Videos. I do beat mix but nothing too spectacular. I've started to do some very basic scratching as well (because i can with VDJ!).

Also my monitor is a touch-screen LCD, which works quite well, but wouldn't suggest using it 'instead of' something like a hercules/dac2. Its more used 'as well as' the hercules. (the touch response just isn't quick enough for track manipulation - but good for pressing 'play', selecting tracks etc)

Also I need to try and fit all these components into a case - suggestions welcome

19" PC - Needs plenty of ventilation at the back
19" Mixer
Dac2/3 (or Hercules) controller
Keyboard
15" Touch LCD Monitor
Possibly A denon dual cd player (just in case) - but probably not.

Also, gonna need to be able to lift the thing once its built !

Discuss! - Any ideas welcome !

Thanks

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 3:43 pm
I have the same idea :)
This is is my idea for _my_ future setup

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw5_thon_tripledoor_liverack_6he_prodinfo.html - suitable for all your stuff. It has 3 doors that you can remove making air circulate easy.
A 4U sized 19" rack mountable computer case was my idea. I think smaller cases will have bigger problems with heat.
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw5_thon_stellboden_2he_prodinfo.html - for placing a mini keyboard + small mouse.
http://www.dabus.se/Product/SimpleProductInfo.aspx?ItemId=294262 - to attach a monitor, then attach it on bottom of the case (was my idea.)
On top you attach the mixer above the drawer for you keyboard + mouse, and a 19" dual CD player or MP3 controller _should_ fit also as next unit.
The monitor should be easy to put into position. I had this idea suitable for mobile use. What do you think? Hole package with all the stuff, I think, will weight around 40 kilos.

There are some Touchscreen Kits but I don't know if they are expensive and if they are easy to aply on monitors.. Touchscreens are somewhat expensive.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 4:10 pm
Many thanks for that, I think thats what i'm gonna go with

I payed £400 for the flat touchscreen (ebay jobbie). I thought i could probably use that with no other controller (apart from the keyboard, to select your tracks). In reality its ok if your just doing weddings etc - but wouldn't try and do any kind of beat mixing using it.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 4:59 pm
Ok, sounds cool. Friend of mine us using only a mouse to handle the program + monitor ofcourse.
Hmm... I just discovered that the 19" computer cases mostly are bigger than 50cm in depth. So the case I was referring to is not suitable for this.. (maybe there are bigger ones).

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 5:18 pm
I think your right,
Mine is 20 inchs, (which I think is just slightly over 50cm?), and thats without the cables out the back.....

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 5:31 pm
I think your right,
Mine is 20 inchs, (which I think is just slightly over 50cm?), and thats without the cables out the back.....

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 5:31 pm
yeah, exactly _without_ the cables :/
Hm.. are there chassis out there with lets say around 14-15 inch deep? 35 cm max...?
Alternative is to buy a bigger case, maybe custom build it.

I checked DJ Cyders setup.. It is exactly as I wanted.. :)
Hmm.. Wonder what case he's using.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 5:51 pm
This is the one I use: 4u rackmount Ever Case ECR9400B Black

Check it out at Newegg.com

Dimensions: 7.0" x 19.0" x 18.5"(HxWxD)

Perfect for me since I needed a short one. There are two versions. One with a 300watt psu and one w a 400 watt psu. I recomend you get the one w 300 watt psu and replace the psu with a better one. Check out the one I have in my blog.

This is the link at newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=ECR9400B+&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 4:28 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Thanks for the props guys I really worked hard on my setup to get it to my exact specs now to answer a few questions (yes I got your email but I'll answer it here to benifit the community)

First off the case i'm using was completly custom made its a 4U that is exactly 14 inches deep. I spent 2 weeks in a machine shop making it. The case came 24 inches deep. and I got it down to 14 by using a micro atx motherboard and custom hard drive cradles it holds 4 hard drives and 1 dvd drive. Also uses a full size power supply.

The good news I'm going to constuct a new rig very soon :)

Second the monitor mount. This mount was made from 2 pieces of square stock (at the local harware store. The other part was just a standard lcd wall mount. This one was made by a company called omni and the part number is cl100 I belive or just called omni mount cl.

The road case is a standard 10 over 4 I got off ebay made by a company called pro cases.

I highly recomend using a dac-2 I've had mine for years and its never let me down yet.

Feel free to ask me any questions (its not for sale) about it.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 5:05 am
How did you attach the monitor mounting in the case, what parts u used?
Are you using it for video mixing? What computer specs do you have inside. I am a bit worried about the heat.
Btw, thanks for the info.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:21 pm
The square stock is a 3/4 inch inside and 1 inch square stock (i really should take some more pictures of it) At The bottom I used 4 L brackets to attach it to the case using bolts and lock nuts. The smaller 3/4 inch stock is fixed while the 1 inch stock slides over it.

I've never had the system go over 50c this is with a packed and very heated dance floor. The case cooling is very simple it uses 1 125mm fan in the front a one 80 mm fan in the back. Plus the power supply has 2 80 mm fans built into it. The entire case is made from aluminum so its also acting as a giant heat sink.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 2:19 pm
almost forgot

specs of this pc are listed in my blog also yes its used mainly for video mixing. I'm always changing somthing mostly adding hard drive space.

athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 ghz
1 gig of pc3200
1 300 gig ide drive
2 250 gig sata drives
1 80 gig sata os only drive
1 lite on sohw 812s flashed to 832 firmware dvd rw
1 foxconn matx motherboard
1 550 watt power supply
1 nvidia gforce 6600 Gt pcie video card

Video playback of vob/mpeg-2 files runs between 8 and 12 percent cpu usuage.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 2:27 pm
Hmm. ok, it sounds great. My concern was the heat, but as it works ok for you, it should work ok for me :)
A picture of the attachment in the case for the monitor would be a great complement, so if you feel like it, put it in your blog.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 3:39 pm
I think I have found a nice suitable mATX rackmount chassis that hopefully would work, if you don't want to make your own chassis. It is 12" deep, leaving enough space for the monitor solution. What do you think?
http://www.getmis.com/catalog/p_rme-4100s.html

I've also searched for mATX formfactor mobo's with SLI support, but there seems to be no manufacturer that have made them yet, but if is enough for 1 graphics card for video mixing so maybe it is not nescessary.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 5:07 pm
That is exactly why I'm looking into a new rig with sli and also the new dual core processors from amd. Things you just can't get with matx

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 10:35 pm
I've ordered all my bits. Suspect the end result is gonna be a heavy box, but should be great :)

Will get some pics when done. Decided to go make the monitor fold up as I have a deep mixer. Should make sense when I show pics.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 3:32 pm
We love pictures. Good luck!

Cyder: Rumors are told that mATX based SLI mobo's are due to later this year. So hopefully some will show up that also are good enough.

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 6:11 pm
I'm waiting on the nforce 5 chipset nvidia is just kicking kicking ass, new video drivers this week. My plan is to run a dual core proc with and instance of vdj assigned to each core and running each video card out to a real video switcher :)

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 6:53 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
That sounds cool Cyder, to emulate a double video ouptut. Do you have a video mixer yet?

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 7:09 pm
ooooooooh.. :)

Posted Wed 27 Jul 05 @ 8:12 pm
74%