Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: First Night Out

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Went on my first gig with VDJ last night - The local pub where I do a karaoke/disco every sunday night....

Everything went well for the first three hours.

I had one disappointing crash and had a smiley face pop up asking if i want to recover - but this didn't work. Rebooted and everything was fine after that.

Everyone (including 4 other djs) was amazed by it - they all wanted one.

Was doing video mixing/karaoke and effects. All using the hercules DJC.

I suspect the crash was partly my fault - I think I blocked the fans at the back of the PC a bit. Might of been overheating. Will see how it goes on next gig. Plenty of ventilation this time !.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 10:30 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Heppy for you. Thanks for that feedback.
Tell us for next time if you get this crash again.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 10:46 am
I must knock on the wood that no crashes for a long time.
The only crashes I encountered (except of the loop out of song that i now care about) is when
using video...

Fortunately I don't need video features by now... and it could be because of drivers, codecs, whatever.
Anyway for me it's rock stable now.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:14 pm
@lopez453

I think my next gig will probably be a disco-only (no TV's). So will see how that goes.

First gig, I put on some music videos in between the karaoke tracks (because I could!).

I think it was a karaoke track playing when it actually crashed. Looking at the CPU usage on task-manager the Karaoke seems to eat much more resources than an MPEG video, I was surprised at that, but obviously I don't really know how it works in the background.

Not 100% sure, but suspect the karaoke feature is a bit of a 'bonus feature'. And maybe once the track has finished playing, it doesn't entirely free up the resource its used. Hence I was okay for 2 hours (I have 2gig of memory to play with), but then got the error. On the other hand it may have just been an overheating problem (my fault) - i really don't know, but may watch cpu/memory usage next time with task manager as the gig progresses.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 4:19 pm
that's the point: turn off the video features in the options and reboot before trying vdj without video, to ensure nothing was left in the memory.

Oh and I forgot, some cd-rom drives have problems accessing some media, even if you don't play from the cd currecntly (mp3 is playing from hdd) when you insert the cd your system can get skippy.

It looks like some hardware accessing feature of windows that all stops responding for a while.
My friend replaced his notebook cd-rom for a DVD-burner and now it's ok. WHen there's bad cd
it will not read it or states error, but no skipping. Just to warn you if some big-boobed girlie
comes with a CD and asks you if you could play her personal copy with signature of britney spears. :-)

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 6:19 pm
I am glad that everything worked out fine. Congradz!

MS

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 1:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)