Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Minimum Specs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have looked everywhere but cannot find where "Virtual Dj"s minimum specs are shown. I am running a P4 2.4 (intel chipset)with 1 gig ram, Radeon video with 256 DDR 400, and Waveterminal 192 Audio. Whenever I have VDJ open I am running at 92% cpu (with no songs playing, and yes they are done analyzing) as soon as I start a player my CPU goes to 100% and never leaves it as long as there are songs playing. All audio and functions seem to work fine except the video appears a little dodgy! almost like it is showing about every third frame. I have done everthing that I know of to optimize the system. PCDJFX runs flawlessly and at about 20-25% cpu usage with both players playing. I do understand that video is more processor intensive but why when nothing is playing or scanning? It does not appear that I am short on Ram, It never comes close to using all of that! Any suggestions tips or whatever will be appreciated.

Partyman

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 10:27 am
From the VDJ online manual, but it might need a little revamp..

Minimum System Specs:

- P3 850mhz
- 384mb RAM
-16bit sound card (Directx compatible)
- 800x600 SVGA screen, 16 bit colour
- Windows 98/Me/nt4/2000/XP
- Directx 3.0

Recommend System Specs (and additions ive learned in brackets like this):

- P4 1.2ghz (AMD 2200+ or P4 2.6+ suggested, especially if mixing video, but that might not even be minimal..)
- 1024mb RAM
- Sound card with 4.1 channels for seperate front and rear oututs (DirectX compatible, with WDM drivers)
- 1024x768 SVGA screen, 32 bit colour
- Windows 2000/XP
- DirectX 9c

Now keep in mind thats just to run Virtual DJ, no timcoded anything, external anything and yaddayadda. As your use of Virtual DJ become more expansive, and it will, your system will need more and more resources.

MAYA44 USB connectors seem to be everyones favourite device connector, but others have had varying degrees of success with other brands and makes, however the maya has a really good track record for compatibility with VDJ.

I probs left alot out, but a simple question deserves a simple answer :P

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 12:00 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
First, uninstall your VDJ. Restart. Then install it again. restart... Erase all the files in the Windows|Temp dir and in the Documents and Settings| "Your user"| Local Configuration (this is hidden dir)|Temp.

Run the defrag utility, when finish, restart and check your VDJ.

After this your system will be run better.

Good Luck!

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 2:15 pm
Thanks, I will give those things a try this evening.

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 9:00 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
That's really weird to have something like 90% CPU usage when you aren't playing any music.

I have a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with 1GB of RAM and i'm only at 8% when running one song.

Hope the Defrag will help.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 1:14 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
appers to be a system issue. I have an althon 64 at 1.8 ghz sits at 2 percent when the program is idle. When playing video my system is between 6 and 8% Mp3's about the same without visuals running. With visuals it will be at 30% depending on which visual i use. Too add make sure your max load is set to always in the config and auto bpm is disabled.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 1:41 am
Cyder. Do we have the same system? You get your from Les?

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 5:36 am
Vantine,

I personally build my own systems. You can find my spec's listed in my blog.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 7:41 am
Main issue is not always your specs but the overall tweaking of the OS (often the bad guy), and 2nd the specs of your hardware.
Lots of information and tools in cleaning up registry, dissabling services etc etc.
The more clean your system is, the better and more stable VDJ become.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 1:35 pm
Well after doing the suggestions I was able to lower my CPU usage drastically. It now sits at about 20% with nothing playing and about 60% with songs playing and 90% with song playing and other deck analyzing. Now on to my other problem. I am using an "ATI Radeon 9550 AGP 256 DDR 400" video card. When I first load VDJ and select to activate the video and use hardware accelleration, all works perfect! If I have a song playing, load a song to the other deck then change my mind and try to load another while the first is still loading my video goes to completely fragmented. Once the video fragments the only way I can recover clean video is to go in and uncheck "harware accelleration". When I do this the video is very choppy. If I choose to use "Accelleration" again I get the error messages. The only way I can get good clean video again is to restart the program. Help!! Why is video acceleration so tricky? Any suggestions or tweaks for this one?

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 7:36 pm
I'll say it again, its the video card. The dev team is using nvidia cards for testing. Ati's are known for problems.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 11:56 pm
Try again, I just replaced a NVIDIA 128 DDR card with the one I have. The NVIDIA gave me many more problems and would not work at all in accellerated mode

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:28 am
you didn't say which model of nvidia card or if you were using the latest drivers. I threw my ati card in the trash awhile back, got a 6600 GT and it runs perfectly on a slower system then yours. so here are the specs of my card SpecificationsModel Brand GIGABYTE Model GV-NX66T128D Chipset GPU Geforce 6600GT Core clock 500MHz PixelPipelines 8 Memory Memory Clock 1000MHz Memory Size 128MB Memory Interface 128-bit Memory Type GDDR3 3D API DirectX DirectX 9 OpenGL OpenGL 1.5 Interface Interface PCI Express x16 Ports D-SUB 1 DVI 1 TV-Out HDTV Out VIVO No TV Tuner No General RAMDAC 400 MHz Max Resolution 2048x1536@85Hz SLI Supported Yes Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP It doesn't matter ho much video ram you have its the speed of that ram that will give you the proformance.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 12:46 am
Have no idea! I just know when it booted it came up with a nvidia settings and all controls in windows were NVIDIA. I have the card but there are no markings on it. All I know is that it is about a year old, "Acer" brand (with NVIDEA chipset) and 128 DDR. I cannot say if I had the latest drivers or not. I have other software that did not respond well to the Nvidia but works well with the ATI. Is this the card you are reccommending? http://www.directron.com/pvt43and.html I would like to get this running a little more stable.

Posted Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 1:22 am
Got the Nvidia 6600GT and after a few tweaks all works perfect! Thanks for the help.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 05 @ 1:26 am
Glad t hear it partyman :) Old cyder my know a thing or two eh....

Posted Thu 28 Jul 05 @ 4:30 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)