Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Accessing folder - Program hangs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi, I am new user of virtual dj. By accessing any folder of my favorite mp3 harddisk, the program hangs, and I can only by pressing "crtl-alt-del" closing the program. After the start of virtual dj I see on the left side the harddisk (called AUDIO) and some folders (called "Hits_of_70", "Hits_of_80", "Hits_of_90"). So I click on the first folder and the program ist still playing, mixing and working very fine. Then I click on another folder and the program hangs, all visual affects were standing still (turning table, clock, songposition), only the mousecursor can be moved over the screen. The song ist playing to his end and then I can only close the program by pressing "crtl-alt-del". By starting the program again, with or without restart windows, the problem is the same. It appears the the first time when I´m accessing an folder which contains over 1500 mp3 files. My system is: Pentium4 - 1800 Mhz, 768 Mb Ram, ASUS - Mainboard, Windows XP Home, SP2 with all updates and patches, DX 9, Gigabit Network.
Best regards
Harald

Posted Fri 22 Jul 05 @ 11:07 am
try to disable "read id3 tags" in the options it will speed up the reading of directory.

It is probably because of strange, corrupted file.

try to divide this directory into 2 separate and find uot which one hangs

then do the same for hanging directory, until you find the particular problematic song.

Posted Fri 22 Jul 05 @ 12:12 pm
This happens to me also. But only the first time I access it then it is ok the remainder of the night..

Posted Fri 22 Jul 05 @ 4:11 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes, it is normal for the program to become unresponsive the first time it is reading the contents of a particular directory. It doesn't usually take more than 3 or 4 seconds on my computer, but that time can be greatly increased on your computer depending on several factors:
- high number of songs under that folder
- low speed of the disk on which those songs are stored
- not enough RAM and therefore using virtual memory
- reading ID3 tags
- slow processor speed
- other programs concurrently accessing the disk

Perhaps a workaround for you could be to make sure you acces each of the folders at least once before the show so that you don't have to wait while you are live.

Hope this helps.

Posted Fri 22 Jul 05 @ 5:57 pm
Thank you all for the very good help. I disabled "read id3 tags" and it works very fine again. By clicking the folder, it shows all titles in less than a half second.
Harald

Posted Fri 22 Jul 05 @ 10:37 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You can also have this problem if you rightclick on a folder and select "view all". (Or recurse all folders). It will be very slow.

Posted Sun 24 Jul 05 @ 6:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)