Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Why is Broadcasting so darn confusing ????

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

j562002PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I recently bought Virtual Dj. I want to dj while my friends can tune into my computer and listen. I've read over the posts, no help. I tried downloading the plugin for winamp, that's confusing, i downloaded lame plugin that's not working. Could someone please give me some helpful info. Thanks

Posted Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 7:17 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi!

I'm not sure which part gives you troubles, but here's a short review once again (I'll assume you only use Virtual Dj software without any external hardware):

Under Broadcast config choose:

- Record from: master
- Format: mp3 or ogg (if you choose mp3, you'll have to specify the path to the downloaded lame plugin; you probably put it under winamp directory?)
- Bitrate (if mp3 selected): depending on your speed: start with minimal to make sure it works.
- Server: broadcast from my own computer
- Max num. of clients: depending on your Bitrate (if mp3) and speed of internet connection. (Try with 2 for a start)

That's the configuration part.

Now when you start recording, the IP will show up for example:

http://192.168.1.131:8000/VirtualDj.mp3

This is internal IP number, because I'm behind rooter, and other listeners CANNOT connect to this IP!! So, this link (provided by Virtual Dj software) works ONLY if you are not behind any kind of rooter. If you're in doubt, just use this link (http://www.whatismyip.com) to get your external IP number, which you provide to the listeners. Just replace it with the given one (DO NOT delete the port number :8000).

Please check that any kind of firewall (software such as Norton Internet Security, Zone Alarm, etc,... OR hardware such as rooter) isn't restricting you're VDJ from accessing internet (again, if behind rooter, you'll need to create a Virtual Server with same PORT number and your internal IP number).

If this doesn't help, write what you DID, it can help solving the problem.

Internet is a very unsafe place, that's why these mesures are requiered to protect your computer and your data. Regarding the complexity, please send best wishes to www.microsoft.com :)

Hope it helps,
erXon

Posted Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 9:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)