Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Screen freezes momentarily before loading videos

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I mentioned this in a bug report with a group of problems caused by USB's inadequate bandwidth management, but have discovered that the cause is something very different.

When loading some videos, an external codec or 'frameserver' may be loaded to handle these files. In my case, I use FFDSHOW. I had installed FFDSHOW to handle VOB (mpg-2) files and had unintentionally also told it to handle mpg-1 files as well. So whenever I went to load an mpg file or vob file, the program would freeze until the FFDSHOW process started and began to feed the video data to VDJ. On my slower comouter this could take upto 10 seconds, though on my gig rig, it only takes about 1 second. In either case, the audio and video output was unaffected and it was just a nuisance.
Because VDJ can do the MPG-1 files without the help of FFDSHOW, I was able to reconfigure FFDSHOW to handle only the VOB files, and so the problem only exists for me when loading VOBs.

I would like to see a way for VDJ to be able to continue to respond to user input, etc while FFDSHOW (or other external codecs) starts.

Posted Wed 29 Jun 05 @ 4:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)