Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Help Laptop Setup for Video

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djjeffPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have a Sony Vaio Pentium 4 3.2 with 756 of RAM. My Video Card is a ATI Graphics 64 MB Radeon Video card. I know I would better better of with Rackmount which I will be in the process of getting. For now I want to know what I can do to make the Video run smoother. When running the graphic plug ins (ambient video it slows down or drags a little)

Any suggestions on what I could change or purchase to help run a little better?

Thanks

Jeff

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 1:02 am
64mb isnt alot of video memory these days, one thing you can do is check to see all your drivers are up to date.

from there, possibly lowering the resolution could produce smoother framerates. check at ati's website also, there may be overclocking/tweaking drivers and software for your card if you havent gotten it already.

with laptops thought, hardware expansion is more costly than a desktop, and harder too. im not really up-to-speed with laptops myself, a pro will know. me? im just highly-ranked amateur...

but the simplfied solution is probably buy a newer faster card.

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 1:10 am
You cannot upgrade a laptop video card. Well at least not at this time even if you buy yourself a 5000$ laptop!!!

Best solution for video mixing would be buying a rackmound desktop with a really good videocard like DJ Cyderhouse.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 2:11 am

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 3:14 am
Like I said I will be making a Rackmount machine. I was wanting to have this as a second system. Primarily for music only and as a back-up for video when the rackmount is done.

I was looking for suggestions and or a possible video card upgrade.

Jeff

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 4:03 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
@jjeff
Which precise card do you have: ATI Mobility Radeon xxxx, which number? Otherwise for the moment only mpeg1 only works correctly (perfectly).
aybe youcan up to 128MB in the ati display manager (go to the picture memory: UMA)

Posted Sat 02 Jul 05 @ 12:04 pm
I have an ATI Radeon IGP 345M Video Card

Jeff

Posted Sun 03 Jul 05 @ 6:44 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Sorry guys, but imho I don't think there is a laptop out there that can even think about playing back mpeg-2. So your choice is simple.

1. use your laptop and mpeg-1
2. Buy a rackmount and use mpeg-2

There are no right and wrong choices just consequences.

Posted Mon 04 Jul 05 @ 8:19 am
Again... I appreciate the help but I do not need to be lectured about buying a rackmount. I am in the process of building a rackmount and will have it done in a couple of months.

I was wanting to know if there was anything I could do to improve my laptop which I already have. After I finish my rackmount the laptop will be used as an emergency or back-up system.

My laptop runs video well. The only hitch is in the ambient videos I downloaded from virtual DJ

Jeff

Posted Mon 04 Jul 05 @ 5:08 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)