Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Experts...I REALLY need some help here!!! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ok, here we go...this is a killer...:o(

I was heading out for a gig tonight and had a few things to do VDJ wise. I booted up so i could go and analyse a few new cd's i've copied over. I right click on the folder in the folder list and press analyse. VDJ analysed two and a half songs and then crashed. Total wipe out. No Crash Guard or anything. System reboots itself. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

So i let it reboot thinking just a hiccup and then the same things happens again. Two and a half songs and bang, there she goes. Exactly the same thing. No Crash Guard or anything.

When it reboots, i get the old "System has recovered from a serious error..." message and i check it out. Seems i have a new file on the old jalopie called 'Minidump'. And every time this happens, i get a new 'Minidump' file. So now i have SIX. SIX strange files that mean nothing. Every time i try and analyse a song, it crashes and reboots. But now i can't even load a song on without VDJ disappearing and the system rebooting automatically.

My setup: Computer:

Duron 1100mhz
Win XP Pro
VDJ 2.06
512mb ddr
Music

That's the lot that's on that machine.

Hardware:

Mixer, speakers, etc...

So just before i head out, i have to take my home machine which is not for VDJ use. I only use it for internet and surfing and gaming. In fact, i'm writing this message on it. My homebuilt above is purely for gig use. My settings are absolutely fine. Max load is 'always' and all the un necessary bits are disabled. I haven't changed anything at all and it's been fine up until today, although i was gigging last night and noticed it was a bit temperamental.

So, can anybody tell me what's going on? I'm not even that bothered i don't suppose about getting the problem...it's just i don't know WHY i'm getting the problem. I don't know what's happened that's giving me the error...that's the annoying part. All of a sudden it's just gone kapoot and i don't know why...

I'm really gutted cos i love this program to death. It's wonderful and just what i've always wanted, but now i feel really let down cos of this. Nothing is working at all. In fact, i even went on to try a track on windows media player, and that wouldn't play either. It just stuck ten seconds into the track. This i suppose is a good thing cos it means it's maybe not the program...but i've got a few gigs going down right now and i NEED it to work.

Has anybody ever seen this before? PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

P

*Sorry for the extensively long post...:~o(

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 4:34 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I would love to be able to relate to this, but it's rare, in fact, the only thing I can think of is the problem I was having a day or so ago, lots of viruses!, perhaps you have a virus doing this, have you scanned for viruses lately?.

I guess your useing version 3, hmm, perhaps Windows has become unstable, if you have a hard drive partition, It could be very wise to back up all files on D drive (if not use another computer), and then re-install windows on C, this is relatively quick and easy, and always solves such a problem, extremely low chance this is a hardware issue.

Sorry, But this is all I can suggest, you have a rare problem (probably Windows).

Bagpuss.

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 4:47 am
Thanks for the reply. I know this is rare. I've never seen anything like this with any other program i've ever used.

Thing is though, my homebuilt is never online...unless i'm reinstalling vdj. I don't know how i could have a virus.

i really don't want to reinstall anything...my drive isn't partitioned and it means i'll lose everything!!!

Incidentally, i'm using version 2.06.

P

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 4:50 am
I've just done a virus check in the music folder on this machine (i copy all my music from one pc to the other by swapping drives) and there's no virus in it...so i don't see how i could have a virus on the other machine...

Help...

:o|

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 4:57 am
Hmm, this is a tough one, lol, you would need to scan your whole system for the viruses, and version 3 is really more stable, would be worth trying it, the audio system was said to be improved (more stable), and re-installing your computer may be a last option, but it's also the most effective option, if you can use a LAN or LINK cable to your other computer, to back up your files, that would help the matter. And when you re-install be sure to create a harddrive partition, this for sure is good for times like these.

Did you say you did re-install Virtual DJ?, this may solve the issue, also, what version of direct x are you useing?, could be worth updating or re-installing this, as the functioning of VDJ is dependent on it to a degree.

Is there anything else you can tell me, to better help?.

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 6:05 am
I doubt that there are any virusses in there causing that problem, the chances are that this is a hardware problem, personally i'd try replacing the RAM or if you have 2 strips, remove one then try again, if you get the same problem, remove the other one, replace the first then try again,

Most of the "System Has Recovered rom A Serious Error" problems are hardware related, just a process of elimination to find the peice of hardware causing it

Ph4nt0m

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 11:15 am
Sounds like a hardware issue indeed, probably either RAM or CPU.. is the CPU cooler still working? You might also want to try a RAM test..

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 1:01 pm
Yes.., hardware wise, I would look at RAM first, but I wanted to make sure the operating system was intact and virus free, before suggesting that, and don't underestimate viruses.., they can do virtually anything now, and a virus could do this.., so it's a smart thing to check.

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 3:25 pm
I haven't re-installed vdj yet...but i wouldn't think i would have to... As for the ram, this is brand new and has never been used for anything else. The board is new and the soundcard is (relatively) new, but bought by me. The only thing that's not new is the CPU.

I don't think it's a virus...i HOPE it's not a virus...but i might just go for the full rebuild...grrr!

What kind of cable should i use to connect my two pc's without having to swap hdd's all the time?

P

Posted Sun 26 Jun 05 @ 5:44 pm
512 ddr is probably enough to run vdl, but the duron processor is waaay outdated, the cpu is the problem

and running xp on such a processor speed is already a very intensive exercise

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 2:57 am
I disagree clownius. Yes, the cpu could be better, but i've never had any problems like this before with it at all...

i also know that there are some guys out there running vdj on LESS than an 1100mhz, and they've not reported anything like this.

I've been trying all night to fix it and no joy...i'm going to write to microsoft support i think...

P

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 4:22 am
What you could try is to boot in Dos (Create a startup disk, for example a Windows98 startup disk). Then start Smartdrive. If there is any problem with your RAM smartdrive will report it or will not start. With this check you could make sure that it is not a Ram problem.
Ewout

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 7:42 pm
i had a look at the task manager window last night when i was checking out some stuff...and it seems to be ok.

Under the performance tab, the physical memory available was 520000 odd k, the available was 350000 odd k and the system cache was 160000 odd k. the cpu usage was away down at 0, 1 or 2% (unless, of course, when i'm analysing, but we all know that it shoots up to 100% when we do that) and the commit charge was away down too.

bearing in mind this machine is used only for vdj and music and has nothing else on it, i do not understand why all of a sudden it's doing this. it's only been online twice so i doubt it's a virus. the number of processes used on it is only 19 and like i say, vdj is the only program i ever use on it.

i did take the liberty of playing a few games of pinball to see if that would crash the system, but it didn't, however, as soon as i tried to analyse a song again, it went.

i've copied the minidump files onto a disc and written to microsoft support... i don't know how to read the dump files, so i can't see what the error is that's causing this to happen. i think i'll swap my network card over and take the system online and get some virus program on there...just to make sure that it's defo not a virus...

please keep the ideas coming if you can think of anything else.

i've got a gig on saturday night, and i might have to do a full rebuild and then sit again for hours to analyse my 15gb library, so i'm cutting it a bit fine...:o(

please help people!!!

keep spinnin'...

p

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 8:02 pm
What exactly happens when you scan a file?, errorr message what?, or cut out?...

Posted Mon 27 Jun 05 @ 9:13 pm
(Ok...i'm now using my dj system so it's online)

I've just done a memory diagnostic on this machine and everything is fine. The program i used is from the microsoft website, and it carries out six diagnostic checks - this machine passed all of them.

But i've still got the problem. I'm just about to download avg and check for a virus.

Bagpuss...in response to your question. Ok, i have my music set out in artist and album folders. My latest album is Robbie Williams Greatest Hits (original copy) and when i analyse it, it works down through the list and then it gets to a certain point and stops. Nothing at all. Even the mouse stops moving. All functionality of the pc is stopped, and i have to reset or pull the plug from the back to restart.

The cpu fan seems to be fine and the graphics card fan is going fine too. I've even tried analysing with the task manager window open to see if anything spectacular happens behind the scenes, but nothing at all. That freezes too.

So, i don't know what's going on. If you (or somebody else who knows a good bit about pc's) could perhaps do some sort of remote connection to my machine, i could show you what's going down, but i'm sure you get the message. It's just hanging all the time...:o(

I'll try this avg lark and see how i get on...

P

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 12:06 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
"And every time this happens, i get a new 'Minidump' file. So now i have SIX. SIX strange files that mean nothing."

Load the file names into google, i'll bet you will find something on it.

Definately sounds like a virus.

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 12:26 am
I've already checked the microsoft website on these. They are simply just a way of the system recording the fact that a crash happened.

i've emailed microsoft support to see what they say...and funnily enough no answer yet.

I'm running a virus check just now...curently 15,000 objects scanned and no viruses yet.

In a way i'm kind of hoping it IS a virus, cos i can fix that...but until i know for sure, i can't use my vdj...

Man, this is a pain...

The virus check is just finished. 15,666 files checked...not a single virus.

P

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 12:30 am
not to be a smartass, but are your friends also analyzing 15gb of data? if the machine runs fine until you start that action, to me it sounds like the machine is just plain out of resources and gives up...

and this is just poking caution to the wind, but were the new cds copy-protected or anything?

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 12:36 am
My friends? Must've missed something there...:o|

I'm only analysing one folder at a time, and there are only maybe 15 or 16 tracks in one folder, so the space used up by it will be tiny.

as for copy protected...i don't think so. what's the best way to check this???

also, i've never had this kind of problem with the cd's before.

i tried to analyse a stereophonics album and the same thing happened, before i realised what was going on. that was the original copy too. i did manage to finally get it analysed, so i don't think that it's anything to do with the cd's. this was, however, an early stereophonics album...

just done two different virus checks...nothing to report.

P

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 12:45 am
What should the soundcard settings be when you select 4.1 soundcard to external mixer?

What is the difference between software 3d and output 7.1? Which one should i select?

P

Posted Tue 28 Jun 05 @ 12:58 am
65%