Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VirtualDJ and wired controller - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

1 hour and 25 minutes and I will finally have some time to try VirtualDJ with a rack mount controller (specifically the DAC-2).

I've been thinking about it all day!

I will post initial thoughts, comments & suggestions here.

Watch this thread

Posted Thu 21 Aug 03 @ 10:12 pm
Initial thoughts on VirtualDJ with rack mount controller

Let me first start off by saying I have a lot of experinece with Digital DJ'ing. I have “tried them all” and own nearly everything that is out there. I have experience with PCDJ Red, PCDJ FX, BPM Studio, Mixvibes, AtomixMP3, MegaSeg (Mac), DJ Power, Traktor DJ, Divinyl 2020, Final Scratch, Visual DiscoMix and -now- VirtualDJ.

I downloaded VirtualDJ 1.05 demo. Prior to plugging controller in. I looked in config could not find any setting for controllers. I then plugged in my DAC-2, installed the serial drivers, and re-launched VirtualDJ. It picked up the controller right away! Did not have to set any com ports. The display lit up and the number “4” appears on each deck. I have no idea what the 4 means.

Could not figure out how to navigate the record case with the controller so I had to use the mouse. Moved the cursor over a track and press load on controller and it loaded right up. You need to add a way to scroll through folders! When I presss load, the display changed to show the track time and BPM – Still don't know what the "4" means.

Press play and it starts playing instantly. To my surprise the led light above match blinks to the music. Neat feature. Time counts down as track plays and the progress bar across the top of DAC-2 LCD shows how far into the track I am. How do I toggle it time elapsed? I use both elapsed and remaining.

Pitch control seems to work fine, I can move the slider and it responds well. As you all know, Virtual DJ has MASTER TEMPO.

DJ can stutter with controller by holding cue and pressing play.

I like that if you press and hold the match button it “trys” to line up beats. Sometimes it works, other times it doesnt. This needs to be worked on.

Temporay pitch bending (for beat matching) can be done by pressing the + and – buttons on the controller. I have to re-train myself to use the pitch bend buttons. The inner wheel is more of a scratch feature and not suited for fine beat matching.

HOWEVER -- unlike any other dj program I dont have to use SOUND to find and set the down beat. I can simply look at the wave form above and see it! Good feature. very well done.

VirtualDJ bends in master tempo.

Outer wheel fast forwards through track as expected. Should be an option in cfg so DJ can set sensitivity.

Setting cue points is like any DJ controller using cue and play – dont change a thing with this. However the scratch feature is always ON when setting the cue point it is NOT like the stuttering of a normal CD deck. Mixvibes 5 Pro has the same issues but in their program, you can toggle the scratch on/off which is a better idea. One mode to set cue, press again and it will be in scratch mode. It is not what I am used to but not bad. I am so use to moving the inner wheel to bend to align the beat and I can't do that with Virtual DJ because it is so sensitive. PCDJ, BPM Studio and Mixvibes allows DJ to bend with inner wheel. Can you add a controller shortcut to toggle scratch on/off?

I note sometimes when the deck is playing if I scroll forward it is fast. And if I try to scroll back, it sometimes doesn't scratch the same in the other direction. Like I am working against it when trying to scratch in reverse.

In other words, scratching with controller BACKWARDS doesnt always work as it does FORWARD. It doesnt happen all the time and I SUSPECT that the controller to be the cause of the problem because earlier releases of Mixvibes had a similar issue. Please fix this!

VirtualDJ scraches great with inner jog wheel. When using VirtualDJ, It moves and sounds damn close to a vinyl record.

Beat lock feature is GREAT idea. Sometimes it screws up but this is due to bpm counter I am sure. It is *not* “MAGIC” though :-) Where the hell did you get Magic? hehe

Why when I load a track and press match *WHY* does it start playing? Can this be turned off? I hate this! I want to start the track when I am ready. DJ loads track, presses match, starts the deck with PLAY.

You need to add an OPTION so DJ can use sliders to control the Level of each deck. Then the DJ could use a controller without an external mixer. Slide the left slider up and the volume raises on the left deck. Trust me, this is a good idea.. bpm studio has this option and it cuts down on the crap DJ has to lug around. --AND in this case, If the beat match works reasonably well you dont need the pitch slider all DJ has to do is press match. There are wedding DJ'
s that never beat match, again a good idea to add this feature.

The auto BPM counter on VirtualDJ needs some major work! I was mixing one track and it was perfect then all the sudden it jumped down to 62bpm and messed up a perfect mix.

I Love the three band EQ! I can mix tracks that I could never do before. Armand Van Heldon bass with white label trebile and mid range. Makes some interesting mixes.

The audio engine of VirtualDJ needs some major work! Very often I get left over sounds from previous track when starting playing a new track.. Other times I feel I can NOT rewind back far enough on the track to set the cue point.

The beat lock needs some work, set to elastic, it sometimes skips the track. This is OK for the track that is in the CUE monitor since DJ can only here it, but NOT good for the track that is playing. suggestion. If the program needs to make a change to align beat, MOVE THE TRACK THAT IS NOT IN CUE (green 1 or 2 at the top).

Here is what I could *NOT* do with the controller...
1. Navigate record case! This is critical. DJ has to be able to move in and out of folders without using mouse.
2. Change pitch - not master tempo (maybe shift and move sliders? or option in CFG?)
3. change level of each deck (sliders would be nice)
set loops in or out (maybe Loop/preview and + or 4. Loop/preview and - ??)
5. activate FX (there is an FX button on DAC-2 but not DMC-1) would like to be able to do record spin back with a key combination
6. activate beat lock (maybe SHIFT MATCH?)
9. activate brake
10. adjust brake

Overall, the program needs work but is very promising. Will I buy it? Only *if* the company promises to continue to development.

You should hire me as a beta tester!
WirelessDJ

Posted Fri 22 Aug 03 @ 12:55 am
Correction:

"suggestion. If the program needs to make a change to align beat, MOVE THE TRACK THAT IS *IN* CUE (green 1 or 2 at the top) so only the DJ hears it not the crowd!"

Posted Fri 22 Aug 03 @ 1:05 am
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
WirelessDJ, this is very interesting and usefull but I'm not aggry with some points:

"1. Navigate record case! This is critical. DJ has to be able to move in and out of folders without using mouse."

I don't like using mouse (to mix), but this is the only case it is usefull. Do you search and take vinyl with your turn table? :)

2-3...10: Remember than VDJ allow compatibility with DMC1 and DAC2. It was said than not all features would be supported. Wait for ATOMIX PRODUCTIONS controlers (like I do :) )

Neverstheless, thanks for this complet review of VDJ compatibility with DAC2. It will help teams for improvement and users to answer some questions I'm sure.
Good Work :)

Posted Fri 22 Aug 03 @ 9:04 am
Thank you for reply.

Sorry, I didn't understand your question. "Do you search and take vinyl with your turn table?". I just feel that DJ should be able to choose the track from the controller. Most DJ programs have this feature and I think it would be a useful addition.

Are you a member of the Virtual DJ team? do you know if they will continue to develop and improve this software?

Posted Fri 22 Aug 03 @ 1:53 pm
In my last post I wanted to say that the aim of controlers is to mix. For me, file search and file selection can't be quickest than with mouse.

I am a member of the community but I don't know about what will be done in the futur for VDJ, sorry.
Neverstheless, did you see how much VirtualDJ had been improved during its 2 months old?
So you can be sure the it will be improve more and more.
In which way? That is the question...

Stay tune on VirtualDJ.com :)

Posted Fri 22 Aug 03 @ 3:51 pm
If the development teams keeps the pace up, other DJ programs out there may have something to worry about. I do like that they show what is new...

Monday 18 August 2003
A new version (v1.05) has been released
Main new features: MIDI keyboard compatibility, DMC1 and DAC2 remote controllers support.

Monday 11 August 2003
A new version (v1.04) has been released
This version improves VirtualDJ stability. We recommend that you download it.

Monday 11 August 2003
VirtualDJ goodies store updated.

Wednesday 6 August 2003
A new version (v1.03) has been released
New features: check the history

Monday 7 July 2003
A new version (v1.02) has been released
New feature: shift the loops on the fly

Saturday 5 July 2003
A new version (v1.01) has been released
New feature: pre-listen a song in the browser

Tuesday 1 July 2003
Ato2vdj, a utility tool to convert your AtomixMP3 database to Virtual DJ is available here

Tuesday 1 July 2003
Public Release of Virtual DJ v1.0

Posted Fri 22 Aug 03 @ 6:53 pm
You're right :)

Posted Sat 23 Aug 03 @ 5:03 pm
I agree with a lot of what Wireless said in his review. I am a frustated PCDJ FX user, and like a lot of what Virtual DJ has to offer. I am using the software with a DMC-01 that has the upgrade chip in it. And being able to navigate the record case from the controller is essential. I also co-sign the fact the Wireless would be a good beta tester

Posted Sat 23 Aug 03 @ 6:08 pm
I am not frustrated with FX, Mixvibes, or BPM studio. I just like to see NEW software come on the market. I feel that competition is a good thing. It pushes the developers to keep up with each other.

Posted Sun 24 Aug 03 @ 1:47 am

Posted Mon 25 Aug 03 @ 7:52 pm
paqbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
1) there should be 2 option to select from, either DMC-1 or DAC-2, with approriate setups, since there is a lot of dj's who already own one of these controller.
2) There should be an add-on that allow to reconfigure the mapping of the controllers as we like, just like for the keyboard mapping.
3) Is there a SDK available to do so, so we can configure our controller and publish them, just like you do for the skins.
4) I agree that we should be abel to navigate to folders without a mouse, i would also prefer to use the controller to do so.
5) There should also be competitive upgrade price for owners of other products.

Thank you all, keep up the good work!

Posted Sun 01 Feb 04 @ 7:08 am
Woops, just found out that in DJ Workstation 2 theres is no support for the DAC-2 Controller, Just saw the product in a store and purchased it, the Title was DJMixstation 2 feat. Virtual DJ, the screen shot were the same as the demo product, did not read everything on the box, and just find out that it is not the full Virtual DJ Product, since theres is no support fro the DAC-Controller, or it is just because of the version, it shows 1.05. Was it added into 1.08?

Posted Wed 04 Feb 04 @ 3:10 am

Posted Wed 04 Feb 04 @ 9:10 am
I want to make a constructive critic, i don't inted to be rude, if i am, take in consideration that english is not my native language, i make my best to tell you what i feel

When going thru the Forums, it seems that there is some confusion with the Virtual DJ Products, the one that comes with Hercules Consoles, Virtual Dj on this web site and Dj MIxStation 2 feat Virtula DJ.

In order to avoid frustration for customers just like myself, I recommend that you put the comparaison chart on the packaging of your products, as for example Adaptec with Easy CD Creator and Cd-Creator Pro, so we won't be surprised at the end, because i could not know from the package itself, the information was in the manual, inside the package. This would also avoid some negative comments about your great product that we can feel in some of your forums.

So when looking at the price i paid, + the upgrade price, i will end up paying much more than if i have purchased the right product the first time. The upgrade price should be lower.

I am a registered and happy user of PC-DJ Red, looking to upgrade to FX and before doing so, i was comparing the feature of all the available DJ products in order to get the best products available.

When looking at BPM Studio products, PC-DJ products, and Tracktor, they provide all the details of what the product include or does not include on their packaging.

Same thing for the naming of their products.
As a recommandation, i would suggest that you name you products as Virtual DJ lite, Virtual Dj Pro, Virtual Dj xxx , or whatever you fell to make sure we know what we are purchasing, you guys work hard to create a great products. It may be hard to retain your customer if they feel they are misled.

Thank you

Posted Thu 05 Feb 04 @ 5:49 am
Ozzie69PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hello wireless DJ, and everybody out there

I honestly can't figure how to automix/crossfade/ go from the song loaded on the right rack to the song loaded on the left one using the DAC-2 controller. Is it possible? It has to be. I also went the RED PC DJ (which I hate) to find the way they crossfade using the software instead, and I didn't find any info. Could you help me? I'd appreciate it. Thanks..Ozzie69

Posted Sun 09 May 04 @ 10:07 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
there is no way to crossfade with the dac, unless they fix the midi support. Then I can help you. Till then you'll need a mixer and a 4 channel sound card.

Posted Mon 10 May 04 @ 5:40 am
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Hi Cyder. Hopefully the two companies will cooperate with
each other vis-a-vis midi support. The poster just before
you indicated he hated PCDJ RED. That is the first person
I've ever heard say that. *puzzled look*

Posted Tue 11 May 04 @ 11:30 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Tom,

yeah that is strage I always liked red but i did hate the record case and fx well....ya know..

midi drivers would allow us to re-map the DAC!

Posted Tue 11 May 04 @ 11:51 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
How's Kent's French?

;-)

Posted Tue 11 May 04 @ 11:58 pm
95%