Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video Performace Observation

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

A simple observation I've made is as follows:

A properly encoded MPEG-1 video file will playback very smoothly in Windows Media Player (WMP) until you add enough processes and eventually the playback becomes jerky.... although, CPU usage will have gotten really high (i.e. close to 100%) before WMP gets Jerky.

The interesting thing is that although vDJ appears to use the same DirectShow engine as WMP (quartz.dll), video gets jerky in vDJ before CPU use reaches 50%. I guess vDJ is interacting much more with the multimedia engine of Windows when it is running, so one of the challenges of vDJ is to figure out how to "thread" more lightly while playing video.

Note that if you play video files on both vDJ decks while playing a video file in WMP, the WMP video plays smoother than the vDJ video. This tells us that there is room for improvement in vDJ threading.

One question I had was if vDJ needed to have the DirectShow Editing and DirectShow DVD Playback runtime processes going ? They are loaded while vDj is in use, compared to WMP which doesn't use them. Hmmmm....

Posted Sun 19 Jun 05 @ 2:19 am
A sportscar and VW Beetle use the same fuel, yet one reqires much more per mile then the other..

WMP just plays the file, does nothing else while playback is in progress.. VDJ on the other hand has a lot more to do then just play the track

Posted Sun 19 Jun 05 @ 10:16 am
@paulheu, I understand your comment. The observation was to point out that from a system resource perspective, that when vDJ is quite busy, it is still possible to acheive smooth video playback and it may just be the implementation of DirectShow that is at issue.

Posted Sun 19 Jun 05 @ 1:45 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
exactly the audio and video are processed seperate, this just doesn't happen in wmp. Which is why you can scratch loop and pitch :) things you can't do in wmp

Posted Sun 19 Jun 05 @ 1:46 pm
CYDER:

Maybe it would be nice to have an option to "turn off" the ability to scratch, loop, and pitch for those of us who just want to play straight ;0)

Of course, who plays straight any more? HA HA HA....

Posted Mon 20 Jun 05 @ 12:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)