Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Hercules - Something about sticky buttons

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Few minutes ago I carefoully browsed the original herc. driver cd
And in one readme i found something. SO it's not the problem of the mechanical parts of hercules, or problem of virtualdj not reading too fast....

I think readme was for the hercules team and not to be burned on cd, but they even didn't read it ...
read for yourself : (some parts are deleted - not interesting it's from the other software...)
-------------------------
12 September 2003

We have also made some other minor adjustments and improvements, especially concerning the automatic centering of fader values when holding down one of the shift keys.

In general, we have the following comments concerning the new controller/new firmware. PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THESE COMMENTS:

1. Unlike the last controller you sent us, the new one does not send ACCURATE DATA for the pitch faders when they are close to the center position. This is a BIG problem because DJs need to be able to accurately position pitch/tempo, even when only slightly above or below 0%. We assume you are doing this because of the fact that other programs may need to be able to run at exactly 0% even if the user has only positioned the control close to 0% (and because of lack of accuracy/tolerance problems with the pots used in the controller). However, it would be FAR BETTER for the programmers of these other programs to "snap to zero" the value themselves, rather than you doing so in the firmware. Our software does NOT NEED this snapping behaviour, and doing so in the firmware only serves to deny all programs of being able to obtaining accurate values around zero. PLEASE CHANGE THIS OR DJs WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE YOUR CONTROLLER IN A PROFESSIONAL ENVIRONMENT.

2. Unlike the last controller you sent us, the new one seems to LOSE SOME EVENTS. If buttons are pressed quickly together or at the same time, some events can be lost. The last controller did not do this. WHAT HAVE YOU CHANGED IN THE FIRMWARE FOR THE WORSE?

3. In addition to this last point, the new controller has NOTICEABLY WORSE LATENCY that the last one. Again, what have you changed? The last controller/firmware had very good latency. Now there is a noticeable delay. It is not your new drivers, but something in the controller itself (firmware) because we speak to the device directly using HID and therefore bypass your higher level drivers and DirectInput, etc. This is why our software worked so well (as testified by you) even with your last controller and drivers (which only did poll mode). The method we use obtains the best performance and lowest latency, and works even when your drivers are not correctly set up in Windows! However, you have changed something with the latest controller/firmware which is causing an INCREASE in latency, and as per the last point, some events to be LOST.

4. A minor point, the play/pause flash rate has been made considerably slower than the last controller. This is TOO SLOW, as you have to stare at it for awhile before you can tell if it is flashing or not. The flash-rate you had in the last controller was much better.

Regards,
Adam Ots
----------------

Hope this clears the things,
cues and play are unusable for me

Have a nice day all

Lopez453

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 4:48 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
WOW! no comments...

Dj Nikki

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 4:56 pm
VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Before i'll open the console for change some buttons in a rude hardware mode, i wanna know from virtual dj programmers if they are plannin to do another version of Virtualdj for HDj console with a kind of mapper for change default buttons configuration of hercules.
I want use the hdjc with an external mixer.
Default "Play and Cue" buttons sucks a lot. I need only: the pitch slides, the jog wheel, a latency-0 play-cue buttons and 1 2 3 for loops and effects. It could be good if i can assign the cue-play button to |< and >| buttons, or sync buttons (but without syncing the beatmatch, cause it sucks in lot of songs)

Thanks and sorry for my english

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 5:18 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
@lopez453
could you create a msn account so that i could contact you by msn messenger. Did you receive my mail?

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 5:25 pm
i think it won't help you, not sure about the stickyness of other keys. Looks like are fine, but to use brute force and then find out it's not working :-(

I'm just trying to find out something about HID to communicate with HDJC and write some mapper.

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 5:27 pm
hello cel,
I already have an msn account but I could not bypass the firewall.
I use ICQ at work. And I don't have internet access here except of work since I work weekly shifts.
I can connect only at home for the weekends, anyway I'm trying to find a way how to recirect some ports or so ... to get thru firewall and be on MSN at work too.

I replied to your mail, thanks...

We can meet on chatroom till I get my msn working

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 5:41 pm

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 9:29 pm
Ok the best solution (for me) is to enable MIDI on hercules,
enable Hercules control, and assign some of the effect keys as action PLAY.

This effect has to do nothing (for example try my plugin polarity with settings normal/normal)

this way when you activate the effect you will play the song too.

But take care if you got correct pannel switched on, not the cues, or loops ;-(

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 10:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)