Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: search on title.. how??

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

It could be I am overlooking something, but I have no idea how to search on title, I can only search on artist.. (tags enabled..)

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 12:02 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
you can use wildcards to search all or part of the filename.

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 12:26 am
I didnt exatcly get you?!

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 10:49 am
if you click title does it not put your tunes in alphabetical order? this shoulw be easy to search then

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 10:52 am
I use ID3 tags and this seems to limit the search feature to artist tag only which seem to be kinda odd if not limiting..

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 12:55 pm

Not having a search on title more or less excludes VirtualDJ from use for me.. Not using ID3 tags is not an option for me.. I cannot believe this is not possible..

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 6:24 pm
Paul,

don't you have tag and rename? This program will sync your tags and filenames in one click. I don't understand why id3 tags are so important.

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 6:27 pm
For one I want the BPM tags which I have set to be available, the only way I know to do that is to use tags..

Second, I think not being able to search other tags besides artist is kinda silly to be honest.

Posted Sun 12 Jun 05 @ 9:24 pm
ChrisBoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Why is it that all of the software DJ programs spend so much effort on really cool features, yet completely ignore simple database functions? I like the way Virtual DJ works and it has some great features. I currently use Stanton FS (1.5). I'm trying to decide if I want to upgrade to FS 2 or Virtual DJ. I'd like to buy Virtual DJ, but I agree that not being able to search different tags is silly. Using filenames as search parameters is silly as well. I find one of the greatest advantages to using MP3's over CD's is the tag information - It's a deal breaker for me - could someone try to change my mind about Virtual DJ?

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 10:39 pm
Whenever I search with VDJ 3.0 it searches the title and artist fields. I never tried searching for the comments or bpm maybe I should try it and post although I just always search for titles more then anything else.

So far VDJ is quite a nice program and much cheaper then FS. We have free updates (as opposed to having to pay like FS or Serato) Plenty of effects, great forum community and support for other VDJ users.

I know many users here switched over from FS to VDJ. don't know too many that went the other way around. Stability wise...Its great!!!

I only have some slight issues with TCVs although its still very minor. I'm just asking for too much out of programs.

If I can sum it all up quickly....Best Bang for your buck!!!

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 10:46 pm
DJ WhiteDVL,

I know that it's much cheaper than FS - which is certainly a big consideration.. but then a cd walkman from a department store is $40, yet I still pay $600 for my Numark CD-88's.. right? It's about using the right tool for the job!

I think you're wrong about the title field. Although the tag information shows up in the database, it still only seems to search on the filename. You can test this by giving a song a bogus name (like mytestsong.mp3) but make sure the tag information is correct. When you search, it won't find the song. Perhaps this is a bug?

Posted Mon 13 Jun 05 @ 11:15 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
ChrisBo, what version of VDJ are you using??

The search on artist, track, comment and filepath works perfectly for everybody.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 12:25 am
It don't work for me.. VDJ (latest update) only finds what I enter in the search in the artist field, it ignores all other..

Which was my original question.. how can I search on title while using ID3 tags (and not filenames)

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 3:48 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If you enable the id3tags reading in the VDJ settings, you should normally be able to search through artist.

The Hercules DJ console is a midi mixer, but only a midi mixer, you can't use it without the computer.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 8:58 am
Which is my point, and basically is a crucial issue for me. I want my DJ software to use tags, this is a must. In the case of VDJ that appears to limit the search function to artist only, which makes is unuseable for me.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 10:06 am
I'm using the demo version - reporting as 3.00

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 5:22 pm
Paul,

You should know by now their are no limits to virtual dj, there are simply things than need to be added :) Post it up in the new features section, the team will do its best to make it work for you.

Posted Tue 14 Jun 05 @ 5:58 pm
Now that I have purchased Virtual DJ 3 and got all the updates for windows in order for it to work, I tried loading my songs into the search database. Again, when I search, it only searches on file name. Tag and rename is not an option because I have several different versions of songs and the way I know which is which is by the file name, besides, I agree with a previous post, it's silly not to be able to search on tag information. Virtual DJ as a player is great, but the databasing leaves A LOT to be desired. I'd love to reccomend it to other DJ's I know, but until the Databasing is fixed, I'm forced to continue to use Final Scratch (and reccomending it to my friends). The short version of the wishlist:

1.) Search ALL tag fields (a nice bonus would be to be able to choose the field and/or qualify with something like "contains, begins with, ends with - but I don't want to push my luck)
2.) Allow me to recurse directories and/or search subdirectories for song files, not just search an entire drive.
3.) Do not assume that just because I'm trying to delete something, I want to delete it from my hard drive (especially in the database). I usually just want to delete a group of songs from the database so that I can re-scan it.

Any suggestions?
Chris

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 6:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)