Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 15

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Haven't tried listening through the phones, but have been using my mics through a Xenyx mixer connected separately without any issue with any of my mics.

Will try what you suggest when I get a chance...

Roy

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 3:29 am
Yes, I am experiencing all my problems through my headphones. I do not have any distortion problems or problems with MIC. I do however have some kind of ground loop hum when the channels are set to analog and my music cuts out when loading the next song.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 11:36 am
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
OK. I hooked it up the audio to my tv. Also running videos to check it out. Sounds good. I plug in my mic using a Shure SM58. It sounds good but when I turn up the gain in distorts. That seems normal to me. Is that what everyone is experiencing? Is that the problem? Maybe I got lucky?

I will know for sure when I connect the VMS to my actual system. I have a Xenyx just in case the mic sounds like crap.

Trying to get used to it. Otherwise real happy with the unit.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 1:09 pm
I get mic distortion when hooked up to any system. Even with very low gain settings. It's even worse when you touch the EQ.

However I get no problems at all with any mic through the Xenyx. AA have admitted there is am issue with the mic pre-amp. I need to go back to their forum to see if there is an update.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 1:32 pm
Funny thing is I didn't update the firmware.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 1:36 pm
You may think that would be related. Trust me, the issue existed before I updated the firmware...

Roy

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 2:22 pm
jaakkoPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I oridered VMS4 but later cancelled because of the feedback. I will wait denon MC-6000 to be released.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 3:06 pm
So what was the purpose of the firmware update...I forgot.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 3:13 pm
Definitely an issue with the mic.

It has to be at a certain level to be heard and not distorted. I just happened to put it at that level when I tried it out.

Move the gain down and you can't really hear what is being said... move it up and it sounds like someone has the mic down their throat.

I am so tempted to pull out my system and power everything up and see how it goes but that ain't happening.

Praying for American Audio to resolve the issue.

Great product but they overlooked this problem.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 3:45 pm
The firmware update addressed a bug with the cue buttons and channels.

Yes, it's a great product but flawed. Mic is unusable IMO, distortion on master output when pushed & EQ makes it worse, poor headphone output and various build issues have made it a no-go.

As I stated on the AA forum, they should recall these early units as the audio issues don't look fixable with firmware updates.

I have pre-ordered the MC-6000 as well, nearly twice the price but I won't have to worry about the quality being Denon. My HC-4500 has done hundreds of gigs, been dropped countless times and apart from a drop of switch cleaner in the play/cue buttons it's been faultless.

Keith

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 4:33 pm
cms30ggPRO InfinityMember since 2008
GadgetMan wrote :
Post EQ mode wasn't better for me. I restarted the VMS4 mid gig.so I could back to pre EQ which was much better.

But I had a worse problem than that tonight. Twice VDJ froze as the VMS4 reacted badly to me switching on/off other mains sockets. It reset itself completely including showing the version number in the VU's.

Had to restart VDJ as well as it failed to let me control VDJ from the VMS4 after it reported itself.

Cheers,

Roy

How do you restart the VMS4 mid gig to go back to pre EQ, I followed Magagar80's advice in the hopes that it would fix the issues I was having but it did not and now I am unable to use the EQ's. I tried mapping the unit but like another owner it will not allow you to map it to the proper channel.

Btw, regarding my previous post concerning the bleed issues I had it seems that it somehow corrected itself when I went back to try the VMS4 with the LE version of VDJ just to see if the unit would work correctly and surprisingly it did. I then tried it with the pro version and the bleed issues were gone, I really did not do anything differently but I am happy that its working as it should aside from the not being able to use my EQ.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 5:21 pm
@ cms30gg
hold channel 4 cue while powering up again, to verify that it went back to default open up the vms4 asio panel and the unit number should start with a 0, if it stars with a 1 try again.

There's a lot more to do than just going into post eq mode, if you want detailed instructions on how to set it up post eq send me a PM and I will provide you with the info.

Posted Sun 12 Sep 10 @ 8:26 pm
cms30gg wrote :
How do you restart the VMS4 mid gig to go back to pre EQ, I followed Magagar80's advice in the hopes that it would fix the issues I was having but it did not and now I am unable to use the EQ's. I tried mapping the unit but like another owner it will not allow you to map it to the proper channel.

I played a CD in the clubs CDJ while I powered down the VMS4 and restarted holding down the cue 4 button.

I was slaving off of another mixer so I could do it.

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Mon 13 Sep 10 @ 2:09 am
cms30ggPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Thanks guys, its working, really appreciate the help :)

Posted Mon 13 Sep 10 @ 5:45 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
MAGAGAR80 wrote :
Yes, I am experiencing all my problems through my headphones. I do not have any distortion problems or problems with MIC. I do however have some kind of ground loop hum when the channels are set to analog and my music cuts out when loading the next song.

Music cutting out during load can occur if you have your media stored on a device on the same USB bus as the audio device. Does it occur if you load from an internal hard drive or possibly a storage device on a different (i.e., Firewire, eSATA) interface?

Posted Mon 13 Sep 10 @ 3:27 pm
frd1963 wrote :
MAGAGAR80 wrote :

Music cutting out during load can occur if you have your media stored on a device on the same USB bus as the audio device. Does it occur if you load from an internal hard drive or possibly a storage device on a different (i.e., Firewire, eSATA) interface?

I was loading from both internal and external HDs, it did it with both. Thanks!

Posted Tue 14 Sep 10 @ 2:41 am
Ok today I did my first 2 mixes with the VMS4, I went out and bought an Alesis PalmTrack so I could record my mixes to it since at the moment you can't record internally to VDJ using the VMS4.

While mixing I noticed that the EQs were pretty sensitive, upon further testing I noticed that the EQs didn't start working until 1/4 of the way up in the 9 o'clock position to 3/4 of the way to the 3 o'clock position. So the EQs were basically useless from 0 to 2 and from 8 to 10, that's why the felt very sensitive to me.

Anyway, here are the 2 files for my 2 mixes, I just mixed up some new tunes I downloaded earlier today....you can really notice the EQ problem i'm talking about on my electro mix going from song 1 to song 2....I tried turning down my bass EQ to the 3'oclock position to take off a bit of bass on the song 1 and it took out all the bass from the song. There's other spots in the mixes where I moved the knobs a little and it dramatically changed the sound, see if you can spot them.

Mix 1) Electro with a couple Latin vibes sprinkled in
http://www.4shared.com/audio/ibebjvYm/DJ_Marco_G_Electro_Mix_with_VM.html

Mix 2) House
http://www.4shared.com/audio/e6E4Bmqb/DJ_Marco_G_House_Mix_with_VMS4.html

I am using VMS 4 in internal mixer mode controlling VDJ Pro
I am using my Native Instruments Audio 2 sound card since I cant stop the cracks and pops on the VMS4's internal sound card
I am recording into an Alesis PalmTrack with the master coming directly from the Audio 2

tomorrow I will try mixing in external mixer mode to see if I still experience the EQ problem.

Is anybody else experiencing this with the EQs?

Posted Tue 14 Sep 10 @ 3:15 am
VMS4 posts were quiet all day.

Contemplating taking out the VMS4 on it's 1st gig Saturday. 2nd one on Sunday.

Posted Tue 14 Sep 10 @ 11:25 pm
I would hold off till you give it a good spin, you see what happened on my first spin? My EQs and gains were all over the place because I couldn't get used to the sensitive EQ knobs, well sensitive in MIDI mode at least. I still have to try them in analog....but I have a hum when I put the channels in analog so that's why I was trying to stay away from the external mixer mode...I will post my results later, I plan on doing this later today.

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 12:04 pm
i just saw a cl ad for a vms4, wondering if i should pull the trigger, waddaya say yall?

Posted Wed 15 Sep 10 @ 12:05 pm
43%