R_FX_ASSIGN_1 .... deck 3 rightcross 'only' & deck 3 rightvideo
R_FX_ASSIGN_2 ... deck 1 rightcross 'only' & deck 1 rightvideo
R_FX_ASSIGN_3 .... deck 2 rightcross 'only' & deck 2 rightvideo
R_FX_ASSIGN_4 ... deck 4 rightcross 'only' & deck 4 rightvideo

Then assign the VMS4 crossfader as ..

fake_crossfader & video_crossfader

Posted Thu 11 Nov 10 @ 6:33 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you're not a crossfader dj, and you need the crossfader just for video, then..

set the VMS4 crossfader ch assign to OFF and assign the VMS4 crossfader as..
video_crossfader

and use the PitchBend buttons like this..

PitchBend- .. action_deck 1 ? deck 3 leftdeck & deck 3 select & deck 3 leftvideo : deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 select & deck 2 rightvideo
PitchBend+ .. action_deck 1 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 select & deck 1 leftvideo : deck 4 rightdeck & deck 4 select & deck 4 rightvideo

Posted Thu 11 Nov 10 @ 6:42 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Hey Roy,

What was your outcome with AA regarding your unit.

From reading other forums it seems they have not fixed the mic distortion or low voltage issues and are sitting on it rather than sending out mic converters and an uprated PSU. A few people are also mentioning dodgy pots and switches.

I'm sort of glad I returned my one given AA's total lack of a fix and the very poor build quality of the one I had, however the replacement Denon MC-6000 due in December is £279.00 more!

Keith

I'm waiting a new unit to be delivered from the "second production batch". Apparently this has the mic issue resolved, and who knows what else they might have fixed ;-)

I'm hoping they've cured the master out volume levels too. I've recently invested in a 4kW active system, but it doesn't really sound like one!

Last word from AA rep earlier this week was that he was still awaiting the arrival of the stock.

I have also have no word about the soft carry case for the VMS4. I don't want a road case, and I'm surprised it's taken this long to get one on the shelves. Considering the delays in the final shipping of the VMS4, I would have thought the accessories would have been ready for launch!

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Fri 12 Nov 10 @ 3:47 am
I recently saw a video on youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yXDrF53PwY ) posted by a VDJ-VMS4 user, about the crossfader issue. As you already know VMS4 is handling sound as an analogue mixer and not VDJ, meaning that you are using VMS4 EQ, volume sliders and crossfader.

But this can be changed.

You can use the VMS4 like a normal midi controller meanng that Crossfader will responds the way software crossfader does (internal ch assign etc)

In order this to happen you have to switch to the POST EQ and not to the Pre EQ which is default. (See VMS4 manual page 19&20)
Of course AA claims that this way the sound results will not be that good, but i didnt notice any difference (to be honest i didnt try this with a large system, just my home PA).

To toggle between these 2 EQ modes, turn off the VMS4, press and hold the Cue(Pfl)4 button (Chanel 4) and power the VMS4 on. (see more details in the manual). Before doing this make sure you have VDJ closed. After that you will notice that Win will install the VMS4 driver again (recognised differently), so wait for 10-20 secs before you open VDJ again.

Once you do this the VMS4 becomes a Pure midi controller, meaning that all the EQ, volume faders AND CROSSFADER are now controlling the software and the VMS4 does not change the sound.

You have of course to reassign the mapper to those knobs and sliders as followed..

EQ... deck 1 eq_high, deck 1 eq_mid,.. , deck 4 eq_high, etc (so no FAKE)
Volume sliders.. deck 1 volume, deck 2 volume ..etc..NO FAKE.
Crossfader ... Crossfader

For the PITCHBENDS (swapping decks buttons) i would reccomend..

PitchBend- ..
action_deck 1 ? deck 3 leftdeck & deck 3 select & deck 3 leftcross 'only' & deck 3 leftvideo  : deck 2 rightdeck & deck 2 select & deck 2 rightcross 'only' & deck 2  rightvideo

and for Pitchbend+

action_deck 1 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck 1 select & deck 1 leftcross 'only' & deck 1 leftvideo : deck 4 rightdeck & deck 4 select & deck 4 rightcross 'only' & deck 4 rightvideo

Now, set the Crossfader of the VMS4 to OFF, and play ! You will notice that each time you select a deck, automatically becomes leftcross and leftvideo assigned so you will be able to use the crossfader properly..

Note. It would be better to assign the VMS4 chanels (in the sound config) as 3,1,2,4 order. I sugest this because its easier to switch to a hybrid mode (2 cds on the left and right of the VMS4 and the 2 chanels in the middle to handle VDJ).

Of course i am interested in your feedback about the sound difference between these 2 modes. The EQ of course will sound different.

Hope that helps you.

Posted Fri 12 Nov 10 @ 4:06 am
DJ Koz wrote :
Noallegiance, I would exchange the unit if I were you. Despite some people reporting sound issues, my unit sounds great.

mine is fine

Posted Tue 16 Nov 10 @ 6:12 am
Hi,

i am trying to use 4 decks with VDj 7 but have come accross afew problems.

channel 1 - sound only comes out of the right speaker

Channel 2 sound only comes out of the left speaker

when channel 2 is at 0 & I what to listen when headphones, the sound can be heard live, when it should only be in my headphones.

channel 3 & 4 are pefect.

i have posted in VDJ but have not been able to resolve, I spoke with the Dj store I bought the product from & they think it is do with the mapping, while other user on VDj think it may be the VMS 4.

I was wondering if anyone able to advise what mapping changes I should make.

When advising please tell me in simpliest of terms,as I dont really understand medi mapping yet.

Thanks
Graham

Posted Tue 16 Nov 10 @ 1:31 pm
VMS4 must be in 8out mode.

Sound setup (Advanced)
deck 1 .. ADJ.ASIO... output 3&4
deck 2 .. ADJ ASIO ... output 5&6
deck 3 ... ADJ ASIO ... output 1&2
deck 4 ... ADJ ASIO ..output 7&8

Use a 4 deck skin

From chan1 VMS4 you will hear the VDJ deck 3
From chan2 VMS4 you will hear the VDJ deck 1
From chan3 VMS4 you will hear the VDJ deck 2
From chan4 VMS4 you will hear the VDJ deck 4

Posted Tue 16 Nov 10 @ 5:29 pm
Ya beat me to it...

Roy

Posted Tue 16 Nov 10 @ 5:52 pm
thanks guys, do i ned to change anything in the mapping?

Posted Wed 17 Nov 10 @ 6:28 am
johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi,

Finally got the 4 decks mapped and with pitchbend +/- I can swap between deck1/3 & 2/4. This works pretty good, specially the video swaps correctly.
The next step I would like to achieve is that the Play/Pause buttons would also swap by pressing pitchbend+/- buttons.
So when deck 3 is selected, the play/Pause buttons reacts on deck 3 and not to deck 1 as it is now.

Anybody knows how to map this?

Posted Wed 17 Nov 10 @ 3:48 pm
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
johans,

It should happen automatically when you swap the decks. make sure you have it set up correctly.

Posted Wed 17 Nov 10 @ 4:16 pm
Dj Koz,

This is the settings i've made

VMS4 set to 8out mode.
Sound setup (Advanced)
deck 1 .. ADJ.ASIO... output 1&2
deck 2 .. ADJ ASIO ... output 3&4
deck 3 ... ADJ ASIO ... output 5&6
deck 4 ... ADJ ASIO ..output 7&8

Shortcut for PitchBend-

action_deck 1 ? deck 1 leftdeck & deck left select & deck 1 leftcross 'only' & deck 1 leftvideo : action_deck 2 ? deck 2 rightdeck & deck right select & deck 2 rightcross 'only' & deck 2 rightvideo

Shortcut for PitchBend+

action_deck 1 ? deck 3 leftdeck & deck left select & deck 3 leftcross 'only' & deck 3 leftvideo : action_deck 2 ? deck 4 rightdeck & deck right select & deck 4 rightcross 'only' & deck 4 rightvideo

Do I miss something here? Pressing the pitchbend buttons swaps to other deck but play-pause button not.

In the mapping you can also select some decks like left/right, 1&2, 3&4, ... now I've set this to left & right

Posted Thu 18 Nov 10 @ 5:37 am
Hallo...
anybody know why the VSM4 slider not move in virtual dj 7 the volume slider on screen ?
thanks

Posted Thu 18 Nov 10 @ 7:36 am
@johans..
Are your PLAY, CUE, PAUSE buttons mapped as .. play_button and cue_button regardless deck? I mean you must have ONLY once mapped those buttons without assigning any decks on them.

Posted Thu 18 Nov 10 @ 11:17 am
djdad,

thanks for the tip, now it's working perfect.

Johans

Posted Thu 18 Nov 10 @ 1:21 pm
dj-tony-parma wrote :
Hallo...
anybody know why the VSM4 slider not move in virtual dj 7 the volume slider on screen ?
thanks

Which skin are you using?

Posted Thu 18 Nov 10 @ 10:09 pm
@djdad

standard virtualdj 7 1024 x 768

Posted Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 4:13 am
They should move, if you have mapped your volume sliders on VMS4 as .. deck 1 fake_level, deck fake_level etc...

Posted Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 10:53 am
@ DJDAD
yes, but it's only "fake" and when i map with...
example: (control) CH1_VOL (action) VOLUME
the control work correct, but when move the slider, the prelisten no more work.
I think... it's a problem of the VMS4 in configuration with external mixer on virtual dj, but... the solution exist ?

Posted Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 11:49 am
It needs to be mapped to the fake actions or not at all - The mixer is a real hardware mixer, so controls the volume itself in hardware.

If you map them in VirtualDJ, then the volume will be applied twice (Once by software and again by hardware) and you will not be able to PFL because no sound is reaching the mixer any more (It's faded out in the software.)

Posted Fri 19 Nov 10 @ 2:32 pm
72%