Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How are you guys ripping your Videos? - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Are we starting star envy on the boards? I guess I'm pretty screwed... ;)

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 12:41 am
I never had a problem using Jeff's settings from DJ Chat. I also have not hooked up my projector to see the videos yet, I have only gone svideo out to my 27" TV. If you sat in front of the TV then you could see a loss in quality but the further back you stand the better the picture looks. I'll be testing out on my screen soon. I don't have a 10' screen, only a 5X7, whatever that works out to be, 8' maybe?

Jason, doesn't it take LONGER to rip the way you are doing it? Sure it will rip to the computer in a matter of minutes but didn't you say you needed to break up each track individually? Maybe I misread your post.

I just put a DVD in and rip and that's all I have to do. Sure it takes a long time but it's not like I have to sit there.

My MPEG1 files are about 25 megs each and you say the vob files are much more. Do the larger size files have any impact on loading a video into the deck or any other problems?

I also finally tested the slideshow option and it's a dream. Where else can you have the Ass Like That video fading out and your little neice's picture fading in. lol

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 2:01 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
smart ripper will break it into chapters for you automaticly or not its up to you. The quality loss will not be seen on tv. Because tv doesn't have the resolution that projectors have. My eyes are more critical than yours as I do this video "stuff" for a living. I once argured with folsum research that their switcher was dropping frames (this is a 10,000 dollar switcher) then said i was crazy two weeks later there was a software update fixing it. I'm not saying mpeg 1 is bad i'm saying its not for me. There is no impact on track loading for vob's. Rick your screen is 6x8

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 2:26 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Which is 10 diagonally............

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 3:40 am
Perhaps I'll take a look at vob files in the future. I've spent too much money to get a video show running.

Projector $2000
Da-Lite Dual Screen 5x7 $700
New Computer For Video Mixing $2100
Music Video DVD's $1700
VDJ $129, orwhaever the going price was.

The computer only came with a 120GB drive and that's the only place I skimped on. Thanks!

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 7:09 am
Basic I hear ya! I'm still building but am over $4k and it's not even ready yet. Still trying to rebuild my Odyssey box.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 1:44 pm
I know having set up for disc and then pc I have all of 10k into it with libraries and equipment.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 2:04 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
This was fun. Guys... Here some other tips. I personaly use this config for use in TVs or small projectors.

Format: MPEG-1.
Audio:
MPEG-1 (MP2), 44.1 kHz 16-bit STEREO, 224 KBits/sec
VĂ­deo:
Resolution: 320x240, 29.97 fps, 1800 KBits/seg

Total:
2099 KBits/seg

Now I'm using divx6 an here some hints. With Divx6 I compress a 3:22 min. videoclip (720x480, 48KHz-16 bits and 224Kbits/s (Audio), 7200 KBits/seg, 29.97fps (Video)) with 190MB in MPEG-2 (or 900MB in AVI) into 28MB (In HighDef Compression).

Make the same with the file in MPEG-1 (320x240, MPEG-1, 1800KBits/s) which is 48MB and in DivX6 is 12MB.

If you like to do loops and other things like that, divx file sometimes is not as fast as it was in mpeg format. But it takes less space and have a great resolution and sound. So it's up to you what you want.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 2:08 pm
I got SmartRipper2.41 but I can't seem to get anything working. What settings should I be using?

Posted Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 11:30 pm
Now here is a perfect of shit quality video.
And, this is absolute shit.
This Side Of Paradise - Bryan Adams HV 805.
Blurry, pixelated, colorless shit, in this day in age there is no excuse for it.
Looks like vintage 1970.

Glad I watched the dvd before I ripped it, don't even think I will, it will only look like a poorly ripped track.

As critical as everyone is about ripping mpegs, remember this.....shit in....shit out....over and out.

Chris,
Start with ripping an mpeg 1 with the settings I gave you first, then compare.

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 2:17 am
I'm actually ripping that PO Hot Video disc right now and I really didn't glance at that track much. I'll have to take a look when it's done and then I'll be able to test your settings Rick. I'm still using Jeff's settings right now.

At least the Jessica Simpson vid came out good!

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 3:05 am
pay not attention to him chirs :)

smart ripper settings

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 3:16 am
Nice..............see ya>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 11:51 am
I'll be doing the vob files when my new drives come in.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 7:35 am
chis,

you should jump on msn messenger many from the comunity have it and its good for realtime help.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 8:35 am
I'l check it out. I only have AOL right now with my username being the same as it is here.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 8:49 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Rick,
I don't fully understand of where were you talking about ("...shit in ...shit out...") Did you don't like MPEG-1 or the settings I gave aren't good? I'm not an expert in this matter (maybe Cyder could help me) The resolution in a Typical TV is 320x240? or is greater?. 2nd.-A Typical proyector uses 480x240 or more? 3rd.- Which Display device could display 720x480 or more in a video mode?.

I want to get this clear (IF you could help me) because I want to have a good resolution (that fits in my display device) and the file with less MB.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 8:54 am
I have now setup my msn account! Check my blog.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 8:59 am
ACW,
The point I was making was that weighing the benefits against the losses of VOB over mpeg 1 is visually immeasurable because of the defects present in some of the original dvd tracks.

The example I mentioned is a new release by Bryan Adams that is awfull.
The issue is this, if you don't have excellent quality to start with, you are not going to be happy with the rip, and it will look like a bad rip regardless.

Seems to be a trend with some producers to create black and white blurry, pixelated, fuzzy copy for the sake of effect. Brooks & Dunn just released a track I saw this morning that is this way also.
Welcme back to the 70's.
Same thing goes for Misteeeq's Scandelous, the reds are pixelated throughout and I questioned everything but the original copy. Well guess what.........thats the way it is.
But if I was a video geek watching it, i'd be knocking the rip as poor instinctively.

Now, had I not watched the original dvd and only watched the rip, i'd swear there was something wrong with the rip. This is not the first time I have found this and second guessed my rips only to find it on the original.

My esteemed colleague from Indianapolis is set on vob's, I am not.
I am perfectly happy right now with mpeg 1 and having over 5000 mpeg 1 files to store I am positive I wouldn't want to be storing vob's.

The point of all of this is that putting down compression is fine if the original is perfect, and from what I see many of the originals are far from it.

Now for most of us, a 5x7 or 6x8 screen is going to be the norm.
When I get my 9x12 maybe I will see a difference, maybe not.

Down the road if a magical codec comes along I will certainly consider re ripping, but not until then and certainly not if it takes 13 hours to rip a disc like it did with vp6/.avi.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 1:05 pm
Just ripped my first vob file. Rob Thomas - Lonely No More. I can see a difference between the vob file and the mpeg1. The mpeg1 file is only about 20 megs while the vob is a whopping 173 megs!

I'm going to be sticking with vob.

The quality is better AND it rips a whole hell of a lot faster.

Posted Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 10:25 pm
74%