Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Saving the Extend Win Desktop Setting

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Does anyone have any information about how to save the "Extend my Windows desktop into this monitor" setting ?

I guess it may denpend on the video card, but it appears that in some cases Windows must detect the presence of the 2nd monitor before it will accept the check mark in the display properties option.

In the case where the output of the 2nd monitor is S-VIDEO and is being connected through an S-VIDEO to COMPOSITE Video adapter, the OS seems unable to determine the presence of the monitor. It is not until a connection is made to an S-VIDEO jack, that the option to Extend the desktop can be saved.

You can subsequently keep connecting to a COMPOSITE Vid device, but if the OS looses the setting, you can't turn it back on until you make a connection to a S-VIDEO device again.

Is there a sure-fire way to force the setting ??

Posted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 10:34 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
That would be very interesting, i think that's why i couldn't connect my computer to my television.

____
P-09

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 12:29 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
ati drivers have that setting built in on the latest catalyst drivers. I don't think nvidia has it.

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 1:55 am
Cyder, not sure what the catalyst drivers are, but I believe I have the latest drivers for my card which is described as RADEON IGP 340M.

The option to Extend the Desktop works fine as long as the connection is to an S-VIDEO device. On the one hand, it may be rightly so since the phsysical output jack is S-VIDEO.... it may imply that you are to connect to an S-VIDEO IN device. But when you utilize an S-VIDEO to COMPOSITE Video adapter (Radio Shack device) then the problem of detection seems to arise.

[For those who may be a little lost with the terms, COMPOSITE VIDEO jack is the type that looks like the Phono Jacks you plug turntables into]

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 3:35 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003

Posted Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 4:06 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)