Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: "Video Mixing" is a complete BUST! - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
I'm pretty sure he's not editing 1080i on his laptop too quickly lol...but we know to be truly pro you'd be editing video via v-link (fancy for firewire) to a mac running final cut 5 on a G5 tower. Maybe have a few sony or cannon xls-1's laying about. Which questions ones intentions when messing with the 130 dollar virtual dj software. Constructive criticism is allowed here, but plain old cynicism is ridiculuos. This topic is over.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:18 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Well,

I can't believe the original post. "If it dosen't work for me, then for none"... It's obvious for me that he dosen't have right configurated his equipment.

I run VDJ in a old notebook (PII 350 MHz, 196MB RAM) and even there I DON'T have 1FPS. My working machine is a P4 3.2GHz HT FBS 800 1MB Cache, 1024MB RAM Dual Channel... And with the built in video (Intel Graphics 900) I have with it a very bad score with aquamark (8,742) and even with that I mix my videos smoothly. Have to say more?

ACW_DJ

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:23 am
ok maybe we can let it live a little longer.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:26 am
lol. seems like the troll is out anyway..

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:33 am
Hey Cyder, I know you don't think much of laptop/notebook users, but I get a little offended by your suggestion that laptop users can't be pro.

Each person's situation is different. What do you call the DJs that do 70% of their gigs on the road, travelling to different citys and countries ? They are pro just as much as the rack system or resident DJ in my opinion, but it is not practical for them to haul around a rack system. I just beg to differ with you on the point.
[:o).

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 4:36 pm
Cyder prolly never used a suitable notebook (lol) ...

I'll be the first to admit you need a bit more horsepower to get the same results, but I know my notebook is more powerful and useable then many desktop systems.. If only for the fact it does noit suffer from the 'share memory between everything' issues.. It also has PCI-e which makes it quite a bit better to handle..

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 4:54 pm
Its like kids who complain that their toy car does not do 100 miles per hour...and blames the company for it!

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 5:50 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
And so it begins...defending this product based on value, not performance. :(

This is exactly what many of us were afraid of happening to the development of VDJ when video was introduced. I'm sure that Atomix will improve the video performance over time, but glancing back over this thread, I hope it is obvious what a slippery slope we are standing over. That slope is called "value bundle".

Bargler

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 6:47 pm
Something Ive always noticed ... If you do a gig for a friend and cut them a huge deal ... There is always someone complaining about something stupid. If you charge a ton of money to the same friends, for the same gig, everything is perfect and nothing could have been better. Ive proven that one, time after time. Needless to say, I now ALWAYS charge alot ... :o) Maybe if VDJ Cost $800 like BPM Studio Does and you charge for each new version, People would most likely not complain as much about stupid things. There is always that guy who "thinks" he knows everything. Those people can all kiss my ***. To all the VDJ coders out there ... MUCH RESPECT!! You guys are great, your trying hard, you care about everyones needs and you've developed a product that just keeps getting better. Keep up the GREAT GREAT work!! Also, I have to give much props to all of the tech support staff and the senior users on the forum for all their help and assists. Without you guys acting as buffers and taking alot of the strain away from the developers, who knows how things would be going now.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 10:03 pm
I didn't mean to offend you. I've had the worst luck with laptops and yes I hate them very much. I feel it cheapens the look of a dj. I spend a lot of time hiding the computer in my setups just because of the "look" A laptop sitting on a table at a gig just screams "i downloaded all my music and I'm playing solitare" That's not the only reason though. If I traveled city to city you bet I'd have my rack there. Just take a step back and look at all your external devices you must connect to a laptop to get it to work correctly hard drive, soundcard, mouse (maybe) basically turning it into a desktop anyhow.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:13 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
"He's right....he's right you know....he's right"

But, if you do it with the right laptop and set it up permanentely wired like this, the image changes a little bit.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid128/pa26617001bab433e08d92f386af624c7/f7dcee46.jpg
This set up does require a table top mixer be set up, but regardless, the only connections are power, and audio out. No different than my rack unit.

Shake the mouse and use the controller, it looks much more the dj part.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:36 pm
but rick that takes out their lightweight arguement.....

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:47 pm

"He's right....he's right you know....he's right"

"We don't need no civil wars"

Ready now???
Aruba...Aruba...Aruba....

I love the title of the thread

Posted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 1:14 am
can we please close this topic ? hehe

Its both getting a bit silly, and there is no way its gonna end up in harmony and you all agreeing :) lol

Posted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 6:39 am
I agree...........second.....yo.....so voted.

Posted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 7:33 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Another thing after closing.

A notebook who really does the job like a desktop is a Notebook with an Intel Series 500 and not 700. The 500 Series are Pentium IV with HT like desktop and with his full 3.0GHz or more... The 700 series are primary for mobility with out cords; more battery life (who uses 4hr of battery at a Gig?). The 700 Series processor switch his internal clock (to a low speed) to safe battery power...

Guys, VDJ works fine in many configurations, but if you want or need a powerfull notebook, use a notebook with a pure Pentium IV and FSB of 533 or 800. It make a big difference, belive me. The old notebook with Centrino (series 700) uses an 400MHz FSB and the new really, really let us feel that difference in FSB speed. Use a 5400 or 7200 RPM Harddisk in your notebook and also see the difference. The old HD uses 4200RPM.

I known that AMD only have his mobile processor to work for battery saving and they do not have his mayor processor on a notebook.

But again, the must powerfull processors, and devices, are for desktops, workstations and servers.

peace!

Posted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 7:49 am
KIlled!

Posted Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 10:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)