Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: "Video Mixing" is a complete BUST! - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Yeah, ok, everybody in the club is gonna go "ga-ga" when I show them 1 FPS video (even slower if you're mixing from one video source to another OR have less than a AMD 64bit 3700 with a 256MB video card from nVidia).

Why would anyone want to "mix video" anyways when you can trigger video and effects in real-time with protocols like V-Link (see Eridol/Roland's web site for more details) and some of the open source projects over at sourceforge.net?

Oh, yeah, that's because Virtual DJ doesn't play well with other MIDI equipment and software!

Ok, never mind, I guess VDJ does need 1 FPS video then...with the red VDJ logo permanetly stencilled on the upper right corner of the screen... (I have no problem with advertising cool software, as long as I have control of when and where and it doesn't obstruct my content)

Here's and idea; Let VDJ sync with everything pro (aka, MIDI TimeCode) and then when ever person has a dual-code AMD 64bit chip in their handheld THEN do the video thing!

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 8:40 am
there is a logo off patch, so if you have 3.01 version you can disable the logo at all in the viedeo preview.

I get my video at full frame on my 1.4 centrino notebook, while not loading another track. The it is at abou 10 fps

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 9:02 am
Oh well, this guy probably complains his bike don't keep up with his buddies sportscar..

People who bitch and moan without really asking or saying anything usually do so for the act itself, not because they want or need help solving their issues..

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 10:37 am
Ok, hmmm. Well my sports car blows the doors off everyone elses car so that doesn't apply... and I certainly don't need help!

paulheu, maybe I posted this to tell everyone who keeps writing in this forum to forget getting quality video from VDJ! Aint gonna happen until two things come about; 1.) Dual cores & 2.) VDJ is optimied to USE dual cores!

The developers of VDJ should not waste the time on WORTHLESS FEATURES LIKE "VIDEO MIXING" and start working on REAL features us "pros" use EVERYDAY like MIDI timecode, user adjustable compressor/limiters, better time streching algorhythms (VDJs sux really bad)....

Video Mixing....ha, more like "slide show mixing"...

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 1:24 pm
Maybe a good thing could be having database of computer specs for each customer, so dev team can see what normal users have in order to test on the similar machines the performance.
(not speaking only about video)

Yeah specs can be written in blogs, but maybe some little database fields file CPU, GFX CARD, MEMORY...so it is easily comparable. for example hercules has some utility that scans your pc hardware and provides you with the log you upload on their web and they whats in your box.

Don't mean wasting the time of devteam on this a lot, maybe use something already done.

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 1:48 pm
Oh yeah, did ya'll know that ripping video (even if you own the disc) or playing video from a DVD in public is a felony enforced by INTERPOL? Next the RIAA and the MPAA and their cohorts in the EU (ya'll are still a union, right?) will be coming after VDJ for encouraging illegal copyright violation ;-)

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 2:14 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Sounds like someone is bitter because the Video mixing bandwagon left him behind :(
I have been mixing DVD's for years, legally. In fact I couldn't get the PromoOnly DVD subscription if I couldn't prove that I would be showing them in public! They are not for private use!
They do mention in their license agreement that you may not duplicate or otherwise copy the DVD's to any other media, but I think that is aimed more at pirating, and not concerned much with ripping the content for playback through the computer.
Also, I'll admit that the video capabilities of VDJ are not yet quite ready for prime time, but with decent hardware, the frame rates are fine. The only issues keeping me from doing video live from VDJ yet are popping/clicking/stability/freezing issues with the software, but I'm sure these will be worked out in the next few patches or releases and fully expect to be using VDJ as my primary video player in the near future.
However, video is not for everyone. Stick with what your audience is looking for and if that is scratching, etc. then adding video is probably not worth the extra trouble. As a primarily mobile DJ, my audiences are looking mostly just to be entertained, and video helps me do that.

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 4:08 pm
Ripping video from VDs I own is perfectly legal overhere, in fact it is perfectlyt legal anywhere in the EU (yes, we're still here.. it's a shame there are so many without a clue spouting nonsense about the charter vote).

Playing these videos in public is also perfectly legal provided the venue management pays their fees. It does not say anywhere in copyright notices I may not show them in public, just not without express permission. Paying the apporpriate fees means I have that permission.

Then, VDJ does not need extremne hardware to do video, a normal hi-perfomance P4/2.4GHz board with suitable GFX card will do just fine, most game addicts have systems specced well above what VDJ requires.

The bumps and quircks posted on here are mostly teething issues because the dev team does not have the resources to test everything to death in house. IMO this is perfectly fine, although it can get frustrating.

It would no longer be 'fine' if nothing happend with the issues raised or devteams hide behind the 'coming soon' fix it all updates, as we see with to remane unnamed other products.

I have not been here long enough to say which category the VDJ devteam falls under, but it looks OK sofar..

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 4:21 pm
"Sounds like someone is bitter because the Video mixing bandwagon left him behind :("

Huh? I use VDJ so it couldn't have left me behind. I produce video for my music. I actaully own pro-grade 3 chip cameras, editor software (Vegas 5.x) and I find the "video mixing bandwagon" in VDJ to a waste of my time and money when real pro features are being neglected.

If my laptop can't produce 29.97fps during even the lightest use then I KNOW YOURS WILL NOT EITHER!

You can have your "band wagon". I've never seen one that led any place good!

I want 3 band compressor/limiter with user parameters, better pitch adjustment, better sync that does ruin the transients on my bass drums, MIDI timecode in and out...just to name a few...

hey! if VDJ had better MIDI support it wouldn't be a hard to support V-Link over MIDI! Then the video support would be as good as any pro-tour from a major label... sort of like my video when I play live with my MC-909 and Receptor!

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 4:30 pm
AMD 64bit 4000 2Ghz bus w/2GB RAM and a nVidia 256MB 6800 and a Hercules using Windoze Pro (32 bit since nothing works yet with the 64bit version)... and I get 10 to 18 fps with no mixing and fades creep down to 0.1 fps!

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 4:35 pm
With those specs you should not have any issues unless something is screwing with your system. I found for instance that somehow the RME HDSP hardware makes video in VDJ slow down. Also reverse play is whacked.

The easiest way out would be to simply state that I do not have these issues with other software and give up.. Instead I offer what I find to the VDJ and RME devteam hoping they can resolve it. While I have yet to hear from the VDJ team, RME has indicated they would get the demo of VDJ and try themselves to see what they can find,, _THAT_ is what I call support, which I would expect for € 1500 work of hardware but still.. I am confident the VDJ team will get around to this soon enough.

Do me a favor and run Aquamark3 on your system, you should get a score of well above 45000 since that is where I am at on a less powerful system..

My laptop gives me a score of around 26000 and while not as fluent as the gigbox it does produce quite useable results..

And oh.. about MIDI.. VDJ reponds just fine to my A&H Xone92.. (and DDX3216 for that matter)

And last, seeing what you would like to see in VDJ. You sure you are using the right software, or are you projecting your wishlist on what you can afford??

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 4:52 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
What the hell is "Windoze"?

Is that like when your system hibernates?

Well i'm having the time of my life with it.
Couldn't care less what the haters think about it.

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 5:02 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
This topic isn't going anywhere.

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 6:22 pm
"nothing works in the 64 bit yet"

LOL the misinformed....too bad for them..

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 6:36 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've got no probs with the video feature, an i only have a 1700cpu an
512 ram. yeah the frame rate slows down
slightly to about 20 but i'm not arsed, as long as its not jerky i dont care. in a club, where most people are drunk 29.97fps probably wouldnt be essential since the human eye only needs about 14fps for smoothness. TV used to be broadcast at 18 fps in the 60s an no one complained then, and moden tv here in britain is broadcast at 24fps an u cant tell so i dont c ur point to be honest...

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 7:29 pm
Stop complaining about what the software doesnt have yet! Stop acting like a kid!

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 7:41 pm
Guys, he is not complaining.. just ranting. It should be obvious by now he does not really have a clue..

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 8:37 pm
@paulheu and a couple others in thsi thread, thanks for keeping an optimistic perspective. I am not sure why the original poster would expect such ultimate results from a tool that cost so little compared to many of the pro tools he mentions.

The fact is that vDJ is the absolute greatest value for the money and you just can't knock that. To knock it shows that you have poor judgement of value and so not much of anything else that you say can be taken seriously.

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 9:33 pm
Soon as I saw pro and laptop in the same post. I knew lol

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 11:02 pm
Yeah ... thats what i was Thinking Cyderhouse. Im sure His 486 DX4 100 is struggling a little with frame rate. I know mine struggled running in stereo playing mp3's ... However no pauses with 8 Bit Mono!! :-)

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 12:10 am
54%