Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: From Virtual to Real

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi all. I don't want that u take this post like a negative propaganda about this wonderful software (the best in my opinion) and the hercules dj console. I want only to share my experience.

I have used a lot the hercules djconsole, u can't imagine how much time i have spent with it.
I have shown it to some experienced dj friends.
They have tryed it and told me it' s a good toy. They have given to me the opportunity to try lot of things: pioneer cdj 800, real mixer and turntables. I have tryed all, from virtual dj to cdj and from cdj to real turntables technics 1200.

Eq settings: no delay!!!!
buttons of cdj: no delay!!!
jog wheel: more realistic!!!!
loop functions: good (in virtual dj miss the loopout function, try dss station if u don't know what i mean)
But the most important thing: the feeling!!!!!
U are much more in contact with the music u are playin. It seem like a magic things, but it's true, and now i have tested it on real.
After cdj, i have tryed turntables.
I was little worry with it, cause i didn't want to broke something :D
Sensation: It was like touch a real girl. U are into the music. Music that start from ur hands. It has been a wonderful sensation.

BTW, In italy i can't use mp3s for spin on real clubs. It needs original phisical supports and i cant use legal mp3's buyed from the web. I dunno if i can use mp3 ripped from my originals cd, so i have planned to buy pioneer cdj + 5 way mixer. I'm lucky cause my friend want to give me his turntables.

The hard road for have practice with real turntables will be (i'm sure of this):
-Abandon the graphical visualization of the song.
I dunno if this function will be well implemented on real cdj's like virtual dj, cause need the pre-load of songs, but i'm sure i don't find it on turntables, so i'll need to know the songs very well, for know the exact start-point.
For this reason i'd like if some skin programmers implements a minimalist skin, without graphic.
- Beatmatch little difficult (fortunatelly i use always manual beat match)

that's all,
Sorry for my poor english.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 8:22 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well I actually prefer my set-up to traditional set-ups, because of the way it's all confiqured to run together, cdj100 is 500 pounds a pair, whilst the hercules is 130 pounds, but the cost of a laptop and software can set you back 900 pounds, and every DJ needs a mixer!. So that being said, the pioneer cdj's or even turntables don't offer you any more than basic music manipulation such as pitch, jog, play, pause, a few effects on pioneers and bpm.., that's it...

Virtual DJ offers alot more than this and can be used with time code vinyls or time code cd's, the hercules it's self is a toy alone, but a proffesional tool when combined with a mixer and actually a mosue for some functions.

for example (click my name to the left to see my little set-up)
EQ: at mixer
hercules: delay is minimal when u use the sync button as play
jog wheel: the sensitivity of the hercules wheel is in the software, not design, this should be changed soon!, the build of the hercules jogs isn't bad though, cdj100 not fantastic jog, I used both the cdj100's and hercules today, trust me.
loop functions: Virtual DJ has a better loop system than anything i've tried! (where did you get that?)
The most important thing: the result!!!, virtual dj enables me to do things no one can on cd players or turntables!!, that's that, done, finished.

Please check the features list of virtual DJ 3, use an external mixer, use hercules as a dual soundcard, jog and sync, play.., also good for effects...

But soon we expect more advanced controllers to be avaliable which should be soooo much more responsive than the hercules, this market is growing, and that's because it opens up more doors and possibilities, with virtual dj you can do live remixing, I did it once at a small party, a live remix only possible with virtual DJ!!, it was amazing!, better than that feeling of spinning vinyl, alot better!.

The hercules is really the beggining of something, but it is certainly more than a toy!, when it's used in conjunction with the right set-up.., become a good DJ, then try everything, then see which makes you the best!

Bagpuss
p.s ignore those that diss this or make statements about things being toys, this is just a matcho man thing, really, people in this business are envies, matcho and selfish. They will always put you down if you use something different, but you put them down and blow them away with what they can't do!, take care ( and get a mixer).

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 8:56 pm
I would have to agree 100% with Bagpuss, I went the other way around, started with vinyl then CD, now I use VDJ, and every time I need to prove my point, I do a live remix with seamless loops, panning, flanger, cuts, etc... Let the vinyl and CD guys do that!

Yes, a lot of people in this business are huge egomaniacs, but the writing is on the wall : when you see that more and more pro DJs, like Paul Van Dyk, now use a laptop and some software such as Final Scratch or VDJ, you know very well what the future holds... And let me tell you, I have tried Final Scratch, and VDJ runs circles around it any time of the day or night. In fact, I'm 100% positive that if PVD even knew about VDJ, he would make the switch in a heartbeat. Here's a huge idea for you guys at Atomix : send PVD a free full version of VDJ and see what happens from there... I bet you get tons of free publicity if you do...

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 8:34 pm
Well I share similar feelings with VDJ.

Although after using a mouse and then going back to vinyl with the TCVs I must say that its far more easier with the TCVs since I've been used to using TTs for years. I don't use the effects VDJ comes with since I can do those with my Pioneer DJM-909 mixer.

Many effects VDJ has already I've been able to do with 2 TTs but it was a lot of work and still is to reproduce these effects but now its just a touch of a button and there you go. No more need to purchase 2 copies of each song just to do a loop, no need to feel cramped to get the loop on time, etc.

Controllers really help compared to using a mouse and keyboard. You can do a professional job with VDJ alone but you can have even more control and do less work with an external controller if you are used to them.

I remember making a mix of Rock and Roll titles that lasts 16 mins. I worked on this for 7 months and now with VDJ. I could probably reproduce this mix (or at least close) on 2 laptops running VDJ and 4 TTs with 4 TCVs. LIVE!!!!! I would love to see someone do that with the real vinyl. Changing each vinyl, matching the bpms, match the key of each song, and rush for 16 mins. I don't even think QBert can do this and I've seen him spin amazing sets.

Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 1:57 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
VirtualDJ it's an amazing tool. We can do a lot of things with it, and in a short time is going to be better with new features and corrections.

Posted Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 12:19 pm
VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have bought an external mixer (Berhinger djx700) and i'm using the console like 2 sound cards. Now problems are changed:
I feel like a dumb cause latency of knobs and slides are changed a lot ( 0 ) and i wrong all eq. settings

Loop buttons has made me lazy cause i used to spin doin long mix, crossfadin songs (with the new song looped) and now i need to forget this, cause vinyl has no loop functions.
I have problems for decide the right start-point/entry-point of songs.
I need some tips for adjust the Eq. levels of songs too

Posted Sat 18 Jun 05 @ 8:37 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Voltron: I understand you a bit, but could you try to explain me differentely, or better, once I know your problem, I and others can help you :).

Please note: always when changing set-ups or settings you experience alot of problems, or confusion, patience, trying new hings and asking here are all your best friends.

Bagpuss

Posted Mon 20 Jun 05 @ 2:38 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)