Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ and mp3s on different drive partitions. - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

xeon hi there,,

understood.....thanks a lot for your very clear explanation,,,,,thanks again....

ciao

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 12:10 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
You are welcome. Forum is to help each other ;)

Dj Nikki

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 12:24 pm
wow! :-|

i always thought that usb2.0 was faster than firewire. Your describtion clearsup alot of things for me.
Fortunatly, my external hd-case has both USB2.0 and firewire :-D

i also have another tip for those who keep a backup of your external hdcase on your server/pc:

Imagine this: your hd crashes, filled with thousands of mp3s which YOU collected over the past few years. Or a virus is eating up all of your music on HD. If bad things happen to your music-source, You wouldn't be able to play your music anymore. That would be a nightmare right?

I keep an exact copy on my home-server. and i know it's an exact copy because i keep the 2 drives synchronized using an software package called SuperFlexibleFileSynchronizer.
see this page: http://www.superflexible.com

if i change anything (adding, moving, removing, renaming) on the server, the changes are also done on my externalHD. if i change something on my externalHD, the changes are also done on my server.

the changes are being compared each time you sync.

I did a lot of work collection loads of mp3s over the past 5 years, i could really cry if all of that was suddenly gone due a harddrive crash. but it's just a tip ;)

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 3:51 pm
hmmmm... would take me AGES to rebuild the the mp3 database

TIME FOR BACKUP - NOW!! ;) hehe.... thanx for the reminder

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 4:26 pm
N E time dj-in-norway :P

Another addition to my previous tip:

the profiles/database and plugins-folder used by VDJ, can also be synced to another machine.
This may become in handy when you are using VDJ on more than just 1 machine.

sometimes i use my Workstation at home, and sometimes i use my Laptop. and i always have the same plugins/bpmdatabase etc.

handy huh? ;)

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 5:36 pm
Cool Stuff! Gotta check that software too... Great to see that this thread is going good!
thanks!

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 5:45 pm
Interesting software. I have to try it.
I have at pc at home RAID pci card with firewire, one internal HD and one external fireware HD. So when i want to do changes i just connect external to pc and do changes on internal one. When changes are done i just connect it to laptop via firewire and play :)

Dj Nikki

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 6:32 pm
Xeon, you are saying that you do the 'sync-work' all by hand? phew.. it would drive me mad ;)

try this software, it will make your DJ-life much easier!

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 6:46 pm
No, you understand wrong what i said. I have RAID system at pc, the same as your program but it is hardware. It has the same function (sync) but without any software.

But i will try software. I hope i could set to sync HD connected with firewire...

Dj Nikki

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:09 pm
@xeon: Cool stuff...how many pci slots does your pc have?

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:11 pm
5 pcis. One is used for that card.

Dj Nikki

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:13 pm
i though u used a laptop...dont u? Laptops have that many pcis?

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:19 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
laptops usually have 2 expansion slots but most cards take up both of them.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:21 pm
Hey Cyderhouse...i wanna know more about how to rackmount the pc and stuff...could you please give me some info? thanks dude
DJ Aditya

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:26 pm
I have 5 pci at desktop where i sync songs with song base on internal HD. i connect ext HD via firewire to PCI card in desktop computer which take 1 of 5 slots. When i use laptop i connect to firewire which is integrated in laptop.

Dj Nikki

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:31 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
check out tomshardware use google just look up the part in question and see hundreds of reviews on it. for example type in 6600gt into google and look what comes up.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)