Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ and mp3s on different drive partitions. - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

i wanted to know what difference will it make if i put VDJ on one drive and all my mp3s on another drive partition...which one is better or is it the same?

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 3:48 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Better is to keep your music in separate partition than programs and windows, and even better to separate physical drive(s).

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:12 pm
so if i put vdj in say drive F: and my mp3s in drive G:
is it good or bad?

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:26 pm
it's ok,

even better if f: is physically other drive than G:

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:32 pm
yeah..im gonna do that soon...buying another hdd...so gonna store all my mp3s on it! thanks for the tips!!

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:47 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i have all of mine songs on external HD (firewire) it is much faster than internal one and it need very little processor usage.

Dj Nikki

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 4:50 pm
And I got my music on external usb2 (which is even faster than firewire).... Works smooth like a baby ;)

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 5:00 pm
coooool...i think im changin my mind about that internal hd..thanks people!

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 5:11 pm
you are welcome =)
dj-in-norway: which one do you have? i am looking to buy usb external for home use because i don't have firewire at that computer.

tnx

Dj Nikki

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 5:13 pm
This response mostly applies to laptop users:

The answer is already here, that is perfectly fine to have .mp3s on a separate drive. I prefer to use 1 internal HDD partitioned into 2. With the OS on drive C and all media on drive D.

Then I think it is good practice to have a backup external drive such as USB, Firewire, PCMICA or whatever, where you copy all of your media and store the drive somewhere..... like at your Grandmas house. Then use something like WinDiff to easily keep your media files in sync.

This approach accomplishs 2 things in my mind. 1. One less piece of hardware to connect to your laptop during setup. 2. Good excuse to visit Gandma from time to time and keep your backup current [:o)

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 6:32 pm
oh those grandmothers ;-), we couldn't live without them ...

and old people are happy when they are feeling someone still needs them ;-)

You can sync data while eating those fantastic grandma cookies she baked for you...

actually I have just a backup @my parent's computer, and all data on one partition, but this will change soon.

btw. grandmother is 150km away :-(

And a good idea for me is to burn all files to dvd's and have only those that I usually play (currently sorting out about 4000 mp3s on hdd and plan to have some 2000, all other are safe on the dvds). and after a special request a will add those rare files back to the pc once someone likes a tune. :-)

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 8:04 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
A cheaper way is to get an external usb2 box (with its own power alimentation). This way you buy any HDD and fix it into your box.

Posted Mon 30 May 05 @ 8:41 pm
exactly..
and thats what I did

got a usb2 external box, a HD.... and ready to go ;)

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 1:22 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I think it's a very good way.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 8:39 pm
thanks everyone for the posts...
really good to be a member of VDJ and the exellent forum!

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 6:43 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Just a quick question....what is WinDiff???

Pionara

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 1:34 am
hi there dj in norway

are you saying usb2 is faster than firewire? if so then i will not buy anymore this firewire because im planning to.....please let me know...thanks a lot sorry for my english......

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 7:45 am
USB 2.0 is faster than FireWire?
No, actually FireWire is faster than USB 2.0.

USB 2.0 is a 480 Mbps interface and FireWire is a 400 Mbps interface, how can FireWire be faster?
Raw throughput rating numbers alone don't tell the whole story, as explained below.

The throughput numbers would lead you to believe that USB 2.0 provides better performance. But, differences in the architecture of the two interfaces have a huge impact on the actual sustained "real world" throughput. And for those seeking high-performance, sustained throughput is what it's all about (reading and writing files to an external hard drive for example).

Architecture - FireWire vs. USB 2.0

FireWire, built from the ground up for speed, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer

USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower, less-efficient data flow control)

Performance Comparison - FireWire vs. USB 2.0
Read and write tests to the same IDE hard drive connected using FireWire and then USB 2.0 show:

Read Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0

Write Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

FireWire - Still the Performance King!
As the performance comparison shown above confirms, FireWire remains the performance leader. And is the best choice for DV camcorders, digital audio and video devices, external hard drives, high-performance DVD burners and any other device that demands continuous high performance throughput.

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 9:19 am
for continuous high performance throughput, firewire is the king :)

For loading a 5mb mp3 file into VDJ (ram), there isn't any difference..

anyway, only mentioned usb2, as usb2 is far more common on pc's, than firewire...

but getting firewire external if you have firewire port on pc, is not a bad idea ;) hehe
Firewire 400 has a higher sustained speed, in other words over time Firewire 400 will prove faster..
If you copy/move BIG files etc

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 11:51 am
Completely agree with you dj-in-norway :)
I just wanted to tell which one is faster. I rather use firewire than usb because all my usb ports on laptop are busy ;) I use mouse, 2x XP10 and HDJC.

Dj Nikki

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 12:00 pm
56%