Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Midi Mapping for Denon DN-X1600

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Help, I'm in a bind. I recently purchased the x1600(great mixer by the way), but I'm having problems mapping the crossfader into Virtual DJ. For a moment I had it working, but after I relaunched virtual DJ the crossfader would not move in the software when I physically move it on the mixer. I have 2 Denon DN-S3700(love them) and after an initial glitch, I got them working as well. I do video mixing as well and have a need to link the video crossfader. Not sure what to do, but I need advice on how to get the mixer crossfader tied to Virtual DJ. Another problem I noticed was that the channel cue buttons(ch 1 and 2) kep playing deck A and not the respective deck(dn-s3700). Anyhow whole issue comes down to mapping these buttons. Any help will be accepted.

Thanks,

DJ Lex

PS: getting tired of feeding of channel 3 and the hercules Steel for video DJing.

Posted Sat 22 May 10 @ 8:14 pm
OK, after speaking with Denon I got things somewhat working. I made some changes into the dn-x1600 mixer midi channel assigment to 2. I also confirmed that the midi channel assigment on the DN-S3700's were set to 1 on both of them. I also changed the USB master assigment to "USB B" from "USB A" all of which can be found in the system utilities(software part of mixer on the mixer). After that, my computer easily read and loaded the driver for the mixer. After that mapping the crossfader was a piece of cake.

But now I have another problem. After mapping the crossfader and with the video crossfader linked or not I have a problem listening to the alternate deck's music when I hit the cue button on the mixer. The only way I can hear the cue for the alternate channel is by slightly moving the crossfader to the other direction, then I can hear the track at a slightly lower volume. This is not really a solution as the track may bleed into the live music when I bump the crossfader to the opposite direction(although I can kill the volume on the opposite channel so I can't hear it live). This, however, can get annoying.

Please advice and help.... thanks.

Posted Mon 24 May 10 @ 8:11 pm
Ok, guys. For all those who own the Denon DN-x1600 or planning on buying one in the future, here is the technical support answer if you are doing video DJing and are having problems using the crossfader for video mixing and can't hear the cue sampling to the other channels.

************************************************************************************************************************
If you map it to crossfader and then link it to the video crossfader, then the software crossfader in VirtualDJ will be moved and the audio for the other deck you wish to pre-listen to will be faded out BEFORE it reaches your mixer, preventing you from headphone pre-listening from the mixer.

When using an external MIDI capable DJ mixer, you should not map the EQ's, volume, gain, etc. to control VirtualDJ's software (On-screen) mixer. You should use the hardware controls on your mixer only to directly manipulate the sound. Mapping volume and/or the audio crossfader will prevent you from headphone pre-listening directly from the mixer (Because the sound is faded out by VirtualDJ before it reaches the external mixer.)

The only features that you normally need to map on an external mixer are the crossfader for video crossfading and possibly spare unused knobs/buttons/sliders for triggering effects, samples, etc.
************************************************************************************************************************

So for the time being this subject is closed and is good temporary solution. The only catch is you can still see the video image of the opposite deck until you hit pause/stop on that deck. For now, I can live with that.

Posted Thu 27 May 10 @ 5:26 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Go to Config -> Options tab -> set the Crossfader option to Disabled ... now you don't have that PFL problem.

This is the recommended setup for using VirtualDJ with any External Mixer setup.

Posted Thu 27 May 10 @ 7:35 pm
cstoll wrote :
Go to Config -> Options tab -> set the Crossfader option to Disabled ... now you don't have that PFL problem.

This is the recommended setup for using VirtualDJ with any External Mixer setup.

Yup, I realized I was doing that so I disabled the link video crossfader with audio crossfader. I also reported that I was still seeing a bit of the other image after I crossfaded. Solution: I had to disable the auto video crossfader. Got it working. Thanks for the post.

I keep running into new problems...Post 6.1 upgrade, my pc keeps crashing I doubt it's the upgrade, but I do have a korg KP3 connected to my pc via usb and to the mixer(maybe it should only be connected to one or the other). I also installed the registry tool and the skin resize tool(due to another problem). Although I had my friends kp3 connected and it didn't crash(will check drivers and firmware). I'll test tonight before my show. I'm going to be an expert at trouble shooting virtdual DJ and gear if I keep going at this pace. :-).

Posted Fri 28 May 10 @ 3:19 pm
Latest update, if you use an effects board like the korg kp3, unplug the usb cable from the pc as it isn't needed. I still having random audio drop outs on the x1600. I see that its currently reported at denons site as a mac problem, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a pc problem as well. So that somewhat solves that issue or least remove virtual dj as the cause. my other problem is that after a while in a session virtual dj freezes(not crashes) when video djing and scratching on the denons s3700(connected to pc via usb as sound cards in VDJ). I don't know if vdj can't handle the feedback or what, but denon suggested to go via cd timecodes, so I will try that but it pretty much renders all my s3700 effects useless. Another post coming in the future. Hopefully with all my issues resolved.

Posted Thu 17 Jun 10 @ 5:57 pm
The Snow Leopard 10.6.4 updgrade apparently fixes the audio drop-out issue. I haven't tested VDJ yet, but at least on iTunes I haven't had any drop-outs after several hours of listening.

Posted Fri 18 Jun 10 @ 10:00 am
anyone written VDJ 8 mapping for Denon DN-x1600? If so any chance of sharing it with me I'm not that tech savy ... Thanks Thehousejunkie

Posted Wed 20 May 15 @ 9:26 pm
TillsonPRO InfinityMember since 2012
hello community! i desperately need help setting up my dn-x1600 and dn-s3700's with vdj pro 8, I'm using macbook pro, and i can't seem to get anything to work, when i had vdj 7 i had it semi-workin but was having problems with the platters, every time i tried to put the 3700's on classic vinyl mode it would slow down any loaded track...anyway that was my old problem. my new problem is that i can't even get the dn-x1600's card to show in "card" section in vdj, but it does pop up when i click on "external mixer" in the output section and i make sure to select 1&2 for deck 1 and 3&4 for deck 2, but when i go to load a track the waveform just shakes but no track movement or sound from anywhere. i know my usb cables work because the mac recognizes the sound card, anybody out there that could walk me thru the beginning of process to the end to get it working would be highly and super highly appreciated!

Posted Fri 22 May 15 @ 9:31 pm
Hi all,
Has anyone done a proper VDJ 8 mapping for Denon DN-X1600 ... I really need
Cheers in advance The Housejunkie in OZ

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 10:10 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Wed 20 Jan 16 @ 3:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)