Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: The Setup

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Post up your system specs here if you are having sucess with virtual dj. Note if you are using video. Feel free to link to photos of your setup.

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 4:39 am

Athlon 64 3000+
foxconn/winfast motherboard
Nvidia 6600gt pci express
wave terminal 192l (soon to be replaced)
1 gig of pc3200

Playing back mp3, aac, mpeg 1,2 vob perfectly.
click on my name to see larger images

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 4:48 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

i didn't notice any crash with VDJ at gig, never!

Gericom Masterpiece laptop
P4 2.66GHz/533
512MB ram
ATI mobility radeon 9000
60GB HDD + 240GB maxtor external firewire
sound through Hercules DjConsole
2x XP10

playing back ogg, mp3, wma, aac, mpeg, mov, avi, vob without problems.

Dj Nikki

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 4:07 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Dj Nikki - could you go to my BLOG and get my email. Please email me with any unique setting you have on your laptop. My specs are practically identical to yours and I get nothing but chop. Even the plug-ins make everything slower. How much RAM is dedicated to your video? Also, did you have to make any BIOS changes or Device Settings changes for you video output.

Thanks,
cstoll

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 4:15 pm
cs,

a lot has to do with the external hard drive.

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 6:46 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Agree. At least 50GB are free all the time on disc C where Windows is located.

Dj Nikki

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 6:55 pm
If you're using an external drive, it should be Firewire. If your laptop doesn't have native Firewire support, you'll need to buy a PCMCIA controller.

USB 2.0 relies on your PC's processor to do its thing. Firewire uses its own hard drive controller, freeing your PC processor for other things - like running VDJ.

When I was using USB 2.0 with VDJ, my processor load sat at 100%. Using Firewire it peaks around 70%.

Before making the switch, I experienced frequent crashes. After - I'm crash free so far.

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 9:02 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
1.2ghz AMD Athlon
Abit KT7a motherboard
1 gig of PC133 SDRAM
2x 40g IDE hard disks
Geforce4 ti4200/ Geforce4mx 420 (both have worked fine)
2x XP10 retail units from EKS (internal USB soundcards)
Stanton SMX-501 mixer

Audio works flawlessly, though recording with the same machine while mixing VDJ is too much strain on the cpu and audio glitches occur. Playback sound is still flawless, but the recording will have pops and cutouts. The worst problem I have with audio is that there is an occasional freezing of the waveform display (half a second, perhaps, while doing heavy scratching/effects and loading the other deck) but the playback is not affected during this.

I have not tried video, and by looking at those specs, you should understand why. =)

Bargler

Posted Sat 28 May 05 @ 9:11 pm
Thats good news rob. I've noticed several users unable to use vdj video with their internal drives because they are too slow. Firewire is a true p2p connection which is way its kinder on system resources firewire dosen't need a computer to work and the pipe is large. Serial interfaces can move more data, just thru a smaller pipe does that make sense? The work the same just differnt

Posted Sun 29 May 05 @ 4:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)