Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Is there a secret to making video work again with 3.0? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I upgraded to 3.0 and video doesn't work anymore...

The audio will play, but a blank screen just comes up - with the Virtual DJ logo on it.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 6:26 am
Ok...

I read another thread and have the logo thing resolved...

But instead of seeing videos I now see just a black screen - on the preview window and the output window...

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 6:40 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Strange

did you check the options in the video config? "auto activate when video loaded" ??

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 8:49 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Same here...
When hardware accela.... is checked :
video is not displayed in FULL screen in my second monitor NOR in the video preview pannel ("Radeon 7000" selected as device) (blank screen).
BUT when i select "window" instead, it is working, so i can resize/maximaze the window in the second screen. (cpu about 40%, mpg1 file, athlon 2.6 desktop, DX 9.0c)

Now when "hardware accela.." is not checked, Full screen is working but with higher cpu load, about 90 % (and slow frame rate)

Full screen with "hardware accela.." worked in 2.1 in this system.
There is an older Ati RadeonVE in this system, any compatibility issue with it and 3.0 ?

(will test on my laptop soon)

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 12:05 pm
I had the same issue, I pressed the "text" button and it started working again (Radeon 9600).

Ronny582

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 3:14 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
** If necessary I will post this in the Bug forum as well **

I have a nVidia GeForce chipset on my Desktop machine and the ATI Radeon in my Laptop.
Both are old and in my opinion underpowered for true video performance, however; this is what I
have noticed.

On my desktop the card is an old nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 with only 32Mb of Ram. With the hardware accelaration selected in VDJ, video will play and depending on the encoding it could be fairly fluid (MPEG1) or really choppy (3ivx DivX). Video's audio plays fine in all cases. Without the hardware accelaration video just won't play, video's audio only.

On my laptop the chip is the ATI Radeon Mobility Radeon 9000 w/ 64Mb of Ram. (Benchmark article: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-4019-x-1-3-x) With the hardware accelaration selected in VDJ, video will NOT play and I get video's audio only just fine. Without the hardware accelaration and depending on the encoding it could be somewhat acceptable [still some chop] (MPEG1) or really choppy (3ivx DivX). Video's audio plays fine in all cases.

Now, simply looking at the differences of the chipsets technology and specs, you would think that my laptop would at least perform at a same level or better. However, it is just the opposite. Also, I know that when 2.1 first released there was some conversation about ATI Radeon chipsets not performing as well as the nVidia GeForce, and if you ask most will tell you get a card that has the nVidia GeForce chip.

Anyhow, long winded; but I think it provides some interesting insight to using nVidia vs. ATI with VDJ.

Thoughts?

cstoll

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 5:00 pm
yes, I am seeing this same issue with my ATI RS200M or an NVIDA RIVA TNT2.

No video with h/w accel selected and apparently the best results require h/w accel.

What to do ???

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 5:48 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Yes you have the best results with acceleration hardware: better quality and better transitions

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 5:50 pm
hey Cyderhouse, can u think about this some more ? Can U link me on MSN IM please ?

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 6:32 pm
nvida cards work better in accleration mode. I had the black screen too i fixed it by loading a video in vdj for the very first track.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 7:25 pm
I tried turning off the hardware acceleration and the video came back. I didn't think to do that because it worked well with video acceleration turned on in the 2.X video release.) Unfortunately, without the hardware acceleration the video is choppy.

I did a little more experimenting and found that when I turned off the video preview window on the main screen (by hiding it by selecting REMIX or CUES option instead of VIDEO) the video performance improved on the 2nd screen. It's almost usable (almost) when the video preview window on the main screen is hidden.

Other than fixing the hardware acceleration that popped up in this release I have another suggestion - allow the video preview window to be turned off completely on the main screen and give users the option of having a larger video crossfader instead.

It seems that the simultaneous video feeds are taxing the system. Having the option to turn it off would be very nice - particularly for those of us that still have viable systems that aren't quite ready for replacement. (This machine does a superb job with MixMeister and video - what I had been using - but naturally MixMeister's interface sucks.)

One thing MixMeister does do though is turn off the video preview on the main screen when the 2nd screen video output is active - perhaps that's one of the reasons why its video quality is so good?

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 7:47 pm
you could use a differnt skin without the preview.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 7:50 pm
But then you lose the crossfader entirely unless you tie it to the one built into the program that also controls audio. I prefer to use a real mixer and DMC-1.

I actually like the default skin...

I might be able to modify it to work this way. Is it possible to download it?

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 8:09 pm
"Almost usable" video is not quite what you want in the club. Still need to figure out why H/W accel causes video to go blank.

As you suggest, not everyone can run out and buy new hardware. Yes, yes, rack mount guys are going to have it easier to upgrade.. maybe... but many have invested in the notebook route.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 8:30 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I find myself getting used to the default skin.
With the DAC and Keyboard I rarely look up now.
Even the monitor rarely gets a look, I like the effects panel on top.
The new skins will be a sure test for designers.

The only problem is the button locations, I am just used to other skins, so it slows me down.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 8:51 pm
Are we drifting off-topic ?

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 9:36 pm
djtybPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have been playing with the demo version and I cannot make the video work. It worked in v 2.1 (choppy - but worked) I tried the text button, I've tried almost every button - this software sounds it's got to a place where I want to buy, but not until my video gets working right. HELP !!!!!!!

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 10:13 pm
tyb, are you experiencing the blank video when hardware acceleration is selected or just no video with or without h/w accel ?

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 10:17 pm
No video with either hardware on or off.

Tried the TV out or the window out.

I have encoded my video out to svcd spec and they wont paly.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 10:21 pm
OK - an update.

Just encoded one out to MPEG1 - VCD standard - and it worked !!!! So, why doesn't SVCD work ?

If i dump a VOB file into VDJ like Cyder, VDJ crashes...well, so does WMP for that matter.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 10:32 pm
87%