Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: How to Customise DJ Cels Plasma Plugin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Posted Mon 12 Apr 10 @ 12:15 pm
Anyone, Please!?

Posted Wed 28 Apr 10 @ 10:48 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
you just need to modify the alpha layer of the .tga

The plugin detects the change of the pixel color of the alpha layer (on a 255 grey basis)

Posted Wed 28 Apr 10 @ 2:12 pm
Thanks, Think I worked out what I need to do, but I cant seem to create (or modify) a "sweeping" greyscale pattern.

I understand what the pugin wants from me, but I can't seem to deliver this, Ive never worked with alpha layers before and don't understand the differences between them and normal layers.

Kym

Posted Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 9:57 am
The alpha layer is always on a special layer and is used for the transparency of picture.

Let's try to explain you: for each pixel, you have 4 values R, G, B, A (red, green, blue, alpha)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGBA_color_space

In Direct3D, see "D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8"

Posted Thu 29 Apr 10 @ 5:53 pm
OK, makes more sense, and explains what the actual use of the Alpha channel is.

Now I need to learn how to manipulate it in CS2 (or do I need a later photoshop). I'm pretty fluent in designing advertising in CS2, but never had to work with the alpha channel. Importing an image, transfering it to a Alpha channel, then adding the extra greyscale effect (the texture) that sort of randomises the transition, instead of a smooth "centre to edge" transition effect.

Im thinking process would be:
importing main image (unsure how to convert RGB image to a single Alpha channel)
Adding maybe a very wide outer glow (Again, this is the RGB option, and cant be used in Alpha channel mode)
Then adding a texture to randomise or plasma the transition, so its less prdictable. (again, I see no option in RGB mode to do this)

Is most of the work done in RGB mode, then convert the whole processed image to a alpha channel perhaps. Meanng, do the above list backwards?

Thanks.

Kym.

Posted Fri 30 Apr 10 @ 12:57 pm

Posted Fri 30 Apr 10 @ 5:36 pm
OK, thanks Cel, will look up the link when Im on a desktop pc next.

I suspect my next question may be where are the tools to modify the layer, as the RGB layers can be double clicked and you can add shadows, outlines, textures ect, and the Alpha channel page does not seem to have these tools. I certainly couldn't just convert an RGB image to a Alpha layer, last time I tried.
Best I check out the link first and come back here afterwards.

Thanks again

Kym.

Posted Sun 02 May 10 @ 1:29 pm

Hmmm, Not having much luck, main issue is the Alpha channel is not saving with the TGA file, even thouh I have Aplha channel ticked in the save dialog. Even tried re-saving one of your orig image files, and it too loaded back with no alpha channel, I even tried saving with the channel on, and off, with no change.

No matter what I save, your files or mine, they all are missing the alpha channels, and when run in the plugin, act as a simple CUT transition.

Also having issues converting an JPG image toa a alpha channel, as they alpha channels are not images anyway, and I dont know what to search for in help as I dont know exactly what I'm tring to do. In simple tearms I need to convert a JPG image to a Alpha channel.... modify it with the required gradients for the transition effects, then save the file WITH the alpha channel intact.

I'm also not 100% sure if the image has to be a particular size to work, and if there are any special requirements for the black background, that is the only image layer.

As I suspected, the Alpha channel had no effects avaliable if double clicked in the list, all you get is, Name, Masked areas, Selected areas, Spot colour. When this is clicked in Layer view this gives a long list of effects like outline, texture, inner glow ect. These are the effects I need to ues to make my greyscale gradient, but they are not avaliable when working with the alpha channel. As far as I can tell, there are really no tools at all for working with the alpha channel, so I cant work out how to manipulate the greyscale to make the effects on the transition.

Thanks,

Frustrated. =)

Posted Mon 03 May 10 @ 7:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)