Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Jarring of sound

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

There is jarring and distortion of sound when i increase the base...this is not a hardware prob cos its fine with other players like Winamp. im using the vdj3.0 demo....i had the same prob with older version of vdj demos...please help....as this is the only thing holding me back from purchasing the software...

Posted Mon 23 May 05 @ 2:55 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Check your gain (don't use a gain above 0db else that's sure you'll get a distortion phenomenon); try the limiter option.

Don't worry I use VDJ for many months and tried with 2 soundcards; I don't have any gain problem.

Come with us and enjoy the future.
Clax

Posted Mon 23 May 05 @ 3:12 pm
you will probably get better results when not using limiter because the sound will breathe (the silent parts will be louder than supposed and for example when the vocal sounds and then the main part kicks in the vocal drops significantly and all you hear is drums)

but remember the main GAIN of deck should be at about -4.5 db for some people even if they don't touch bass/middle EQ ..

please note that when you add more bass to the sound (over the default value) you should lower the gain in the same amount in order not to have the sound "distorted"

Posted Mon 23 May 05 @ 3:38 pm
thanks but i use the option that sets the gain automatically to 0db...but still it has the jarr effect for increase in base...sow do i set it to less that 0 db for all tracks? thanks again...plannin to buy it soon...
also, i wud wanna ask if there is any loss in quality of sound if i use 4.1 soundcard to relay one o/p to headphone and other to main speakers? cos i dont have two soundcards....help me again!

Posted Mon 23 May 05 @ 3:40 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
If you don't have 2 cards you can use your 4.1 to have the sound of your VDJ to de Front L&R and the Rear L&R to listen your phones. Do the same If you want to use your VDJ with an external mixer, but select the correct option on the Config->Sound Cards of the VDJ.

Posted Mon 23 May 05 @ 10:33 pm
thanks a lot djs!! peace

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 12:11 pm
set you gain to always match play a song, add ass much base as you like and turn the gain knob on the deck until the distortion stops...

then set the same gain on the another deck

when you drag a song after this, VDJ will try to keep the gain at the same level, but simetimes
this values can change and you need to readjust it manually.

In other words: do not use always 0, turn off limiter, turn off time stretch, set base, mid, high as you like, adjust the gain manually until it sounds ok

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 12:55 pm
yeah thanks lopez453, it works good now...but one more thing, what difference does it make if i turn off Time Stretch?

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 1:23 pm
when you want your song to play faster (and probably to beatmatch two songs) in normal way it sound like when you play a vinyl or tape faster ... the song is faster and pitched up.

When using timestretch (others call it master tempo) the pitch remains intact but the song is faster. But you can hear on some parts of songs that the sound is a little strange or that it sounds like beats are not regular. This is caused by the algorhytm used and differs from song to song how it affects the original sound. Many users don;t use it and even people on the dancefloor won't notice that the sound is 5% pitched up. Try it for yourself and you will see what it makes with a song played 10% faster and click into options while the song is playing and turn timestretch on/off.

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 2:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)